1971 Deluxe LP Gold Top natural aged, my gold top fever reduced

Discussion in 'Norlin Years' started by judson, Oct 23, 2017.

1. judson

judson Senior Member

so i think i found a temp solution to my craving for a 50's gold top. back in the day, the very first Gibson LP i touched was pretty much exactly as this, i wanted to go straight to the early 50's and cure the fever but i saw this online a few days ago while enjoying some adult beverages, made an offer and the ebay seller took it!!...ok maybe one too many cocktails but i am happy

pots date to '71, seller was second owner, he bought it about 20 years ago from original owner who gigged it often, a bit of cigg smell but all the wear is true aged which i like as this will be a daily player! no cracks, repairs, alot of dings and true player wear, frets are original which i expected more wear on them but they are perfect...

all original seller claimed including case, i checked it out as in the pics here and the only question with the embossed mini's was i thought they came out in '72 ? i know the pots were 42nd week of 71 so its close and the serial fall into the range of 71/72.

and if you scroll to the end of this post, i will tell you what i paid. im happy as hell, my fingers are a bit sore from playing this all weekend, honestly that hasnt happened in awhile......my gold top GAS has be reduced but one day i will own a 50's but for the money this will cure me for a year or two at least! check the pics and tell me if you see something that doesnt look original.....guess im in the Norlin club, thought i would bypass it but i an not complaining, this fits with both feel and sound....comments welcomed :yesway:

1971goldtop.jpg 1971goldtop9.jpg IMG_20171021_165332401_HDR.jpg IMG_20171021_203651453.jpg IMG_20171021_203305690_HDR.jpg IMG_20171021_163540611_HDR.jpg IMG_20171022_113339448.jpg

i paid $2,625 included shipping....im happy, it works for me!

more pics in the link to the ebay auction: http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-5...0001&campid=5338014323&icep_item=222344176666

2. DarrellV

DarrellV Derl Ver.... ERMAHGERD!.........It's a Nerlin! Silver Supporter Premium Member

Very nice!! :thumb:

As far as the pickup covers go they were predominantly 72, but Gibson never made changes that coincided with the calendar year.

That would make things too easy!

The experts will settle it, but I think its safe to guess it could be late 71 enough that the new covers were being made and started getting put into new models at that time.

Welcome to the Norlin club!:cheers:

judson likes this.
  3. chasenblues

chasenblues Senior Member

Route it for humbuckers!!!:io:

:laugh2:

Hnugd..:thumb:

judson and DarrellV like this.
  4. judson

judson Senior Member

got my other lps that will take humbucks...but then i thought hmmm now i can maybe test drive a few P90's without a route...i am sure that can get pricey too but i am working on tone issues so it will help there...im diggin it :cool2:

5. judson

judson Senior Member

thanks....yeah i agree that could be how it rolled out, was tryin to see if the cover soldering looked "touched" or if it is all original, seller put original tuners back in as when he got it the first owner put Grovers on but included the originals when he got it.....its not a museum piece but its nice to know all the parts are there....used but not abused!

6. HardCore Troubadour

HardCore Troubadour Senior Member

I have seen several late 71’s with embossed covers....

BUT remember...that pot was MADE the 42nd week of 71, at the CTS factory.....

had to get boxed up, shipped to Gibson, unboxed, dumped in a work bin, put into a guitar under construction, guitar had to be finished, shipped out to a store etc. etc.

All within 10 weeks to actually be a 71......

My money would be early 1972.

Hell, you had probably better sell it to me at a loss, since it is not what you thought.....

Nice GT Bro!!

XpensiveWino, judson and DarrellV like this.
  7. DarrellV

DarrellV Derl Ver.... ERMAHGERD!.........It's a Nerlin! Silver Supporter Premium Member

In my humble years of soldering experience they look pretty clean and untouched. No smearing or rosin stains from re-soldering....

judson likes this.
  8. DarrellV

There ya go! :applause:

judson likes this.
  9. judson

judson Senior Member

lol, i will go with early 70's thats fine, still need the 60's and 50's!!!

there are only two more guitars i have on my hit list, a 63/64 Firebird and a 50's gold top....
    both will be players...not gonna pay for a case queen to let it sit

this one wont be leaving anytime soon maybe never......unless it gets replaced with a 50's

not into anything new or all the reissue's, historics and all that, but then i never thought i would buy a Norlin either:dunno:

Last edited: Oct 23, 2017
    DarrellV likes this.
  10. The Ballzz

The Ballzz Senior Member

You don't often see them like that "in the wild" as so many got converted to full size humbuckers or P90s. Those "minis" have a cool, yet unique sound of their own, just not many folk's cup o tea! It's also pretty cool to actually see the "pancake" layers. and a Gold Top is, well...... A GOLD TOP! Welcome to the land of the volute!
    Enjoy Your HNGTD!
    Gene

Thumpalumpacus, judson and DarrellV like this.
  11. Mockbel

Mockbel Senior Member

That's a beautiful piece of history... Congratulations

12. judson

judson Senior Member

thanks...yes the mini s read 7.2 ohms and so far i think they have a wider range and less bright somewhat than my 91 firebird mini s.....i just need more time with them but i am pleased with the sounds i get so far, all clean no pedals.., yeah my gold top fever was going crazy so i just did it and glad i did....gold tops just draw you in

question for all....whats up with this case??? seller said it was original, no gibson markings, it is well constructed...maybe the original dealer just grabbed one from the back?? not a big deal its only a case....thoughts?

IMG_20171023_094101050.jpg IMG_20171023_094028999.jpg IMG_20171023_094039760.jpg IMG_20171023_094047870.jpg

13. HardCore Troubadour

HardCore Troubadour Senior Member

case appears to be correct.

judson likes this.
  14. XpensiveWino

XpensiveWino Senior Member

That's a nice guitar man! The gold/green wear is where it's at for my money! My '76 is very similar, but of course comes after the switch to maple necks. You can have a field day with P90's if swapping and soldering is your thing. Mine is now equipped with P90's (that was the plan on mine all along), but I recently played my father's deluxe with the mini's intact. They're very special in their own way too. I might have new GAS for another deluxe with minis.

I hope you enjoy yours and play the heck out of it.

1969 weatherman and judson like this.
  15. DarrellV

If they are stock Firebird mini's these are not built the same, and would not sound similar even though they look similar.

The magnet types, pole pieces, and construction are different inside.

Your description of the brighter Firebird pickups would be correct.
    Firebird
    [​IMG]

Mini Hums
    [​IMG]

judson likes this.
  16. judson

judson Senior Member

thank you for that visual darrellV, you are correct.....i do need to do a side by side for the hell of it, my JB epi FB has been sitting in the #1 position stand since December 2016, the 91 FB has been more in the case than out of it this year also...but the gold top moved to #1 (obviously for awhile) , i really try to play them all as they are all different in their own way...might be a clearance sale in a few months of a few others but i keep saying that and never get to it...

DarrellV likes this.
  17. DarrellV

:photos:

judson likes this.
  18. judson

judson Senior Member

in due time.... i am a picture whore, stay tuned for some future money shots..:rofl:

DarrellV likes this.
  19. bufbills

bufbills Senior Member

Beautiful guitar!!!!!!

judson likes this.
  20. Thumpalumpacus

Thumpalumpacus Senior Member

Loves me some minis. The FB minis (new builds) are definitely different ... someone correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't new FB minis ceramic? That would explain the enhanced treble, I think.