1970's Les Paul Standards Help Please?

Discussion in 'Norlin Years' started by islandjimmy, Nov 15, 2017.

1. Kris Ford

Kris Ford Senior Member

WELLL..it does very well seem that the only OTHER difference is that the humbucker Deluxes were CHERRY, and the Standards were Tobacco..

HardCore Troubadour likes this.
  2. HardCore Troubadour

HardCore Troubadour Senior Member

Correct....

Kris Ford likes this.
  3. Kris Ford

Kris Ford Senior Member

I'd have kept my '74 HB Deluxe if not for the toggle switch holes..I can relate to Bblooz's pain LOL

4. 69 Goldtop

69 Goldtop Senior Member

1.) What is the fret size of the Norlin era Standards? Unfortunately I do not like the "fretless wonder" fret size of the Custom models so I am looking for medium jumbo - jumbo fret size.

2.) What years did Norlin reintroduce the Standard Les Paul during the 1970s? Is there a year in particular that stands out as being better than others?

3.) Is there a Norlin era Les Paul that had a chunky 50's neck? Similar to an R8?

4.) Did all models have maple necks after 1975?

1.) Stock are wide , I would`nt worry about that.
    2.)1974-on. Mahogany neck 74/75
    3.) Not really. The 1954/58 reissues from 1971/72 have a nice neck on them. Like an R8...no.
    4.) After 1975...yes.
    This is it. cus 029.jpg

5. Progrocker111

Progrocker111 Senior Member

There were some factory Standards even in 72 as a small special runs, in 73 too. 74 was the first year when real bigger amount of them was made.

The frets on them are the same as on Deluxes and ES3x5s, fairly wide and low, kinda medium jumbo type, but a bit lower. They are very different to 50s frets on Standards. On Customs similar wider frets appeared first in mid 75. Before this all have had much thinner and lower "fretless wonder" ones.

Most similar Norlins to 50s ones are the earliest, so its "the older the better" situation for you. :)

Kris Ford likes this.
  6. islandjimmy

islandjimmy Senior Member

This post changed the way I looked at Norlins. Instead of looking for something that resembles a 1950s Les Paul I am now looking for something exclusively Norlin. I have found a 1972 Les Paul Deluxe with stamped mini humbuckers and I’m just chomping at the bit to aquire this beauty. Hopefully it won’t be sold by the time I come up with the cash but no worries, there are others out there. Thank you for this post because it really changed my perspective for the better.

DarrellV likes this.
  7. DarrellV

DarrellV Murry Chrirstmers to earl! Silver Supporter Premium Member