1970's Les Paul Standards Help Please?

Discussion in 'Norlin Years' started by islandjimmy, Nov 15, 2017.

1. islandjimmy

islandjimmy Senior Member

Hi Norlin Experts,

I am falling for 1970s era Les Pauls. One of my favorite forms of research is to watch Olly Anders from Guitar Point videos. https://www.youtube.com/user/Guitarpointsound/videos He spends time in his videos explaining the virtues of Norlin era Les Pauls and he's a good player as well. I have some questions though that I have been unable to find answers to and was wondering if anyone could help me answer some questions about Norlin era Les Pauls?
    Here goes:

1.) What is the fret size of the Norlin era Standards? Unfortunately I do not like the "fretless wonder" fret size of the Custom models so I am looking for medium jumbo - jumbo fret size.

2.) What years did Norlin reintroduce the Standard Les Paul during the 1970s? Is there a year in particular that stands out as being better than others?

3.) Is there a Norlin era Les Paul that had a chunky 50's neck? Similar to an R8?

4.) Did all models have maple necks after 1975?

Thank you!
    Jimmy

Last edited: Nov 15, 2017
  2. DarrellV

DarrellV Murry Chrirstmers to earl! Silver Supporter Premium Member

3. gball

gball Senior Member

Yeah those guys will hook you up. I've been playing Norlin LP's since 1977, and they have told me more about them than acutually owning them!! I'd try to help you out more but I have only owned Customs.

islandjimmy and Thumpalumpacus like this.
  4. HardCore Troubadour

HardCore Troubadour Senior Member

No standard fret size that I know of and the fret less wonders had been over with for a bit by this time.....lots of Norlin had low and wide frets (the FW’s were. Low and skinny), I would not consider any from the period to actually be “jumbo” frets, but there were some that are larger.

There are lots of examples out there that have already been refretted and it will not be hard to fine one to suit you.

Standards back in 76...all years have good and bad examples, Norlin or not.

There are some thicker necks but I do not think there were any real ball bats like some 58’s...the thickest being some of the early reissues or Pre Historics (Leo’s-Guitar Traders-Heritage series, KM’s etc.)

No not all maple necks after 75...there were some of the early reissues during this time with hog (see above)....all standard production started the switch in 75 and were pretty much done by the end of the year....with an oddity here and there...hey, it’s Norlin!

islandjimmy likes this.
  5. DarrellV

6. Thumpalumpacus

Thumpalumpacus Senior Member

My 73 had low/wide frets and a chunky neck, but I haven't played enough Norlins to have any confidence in generalizations.

IIRC, Standards were re-introduced in 74. I don't think there were "good years" -- I think it depends more on features you like (maple necks vs hog, small volute vs large). Those can be pinned down to years, but as with (I believe) any guitar mfr, you get good'uns and bad'uns in every year.

islandjimmy and DarrellV like this.
  7. islandjimmy

Thanks guys for the quick replies! Darrell's picture of the low wide frets actually looks good to me. I like those frets. I was under the impression that the Norlin era Customs, like the Black Beauties and Randy Rhoads 74 all had low and small frets? Am I wrong about this?

8. DarrellV

I would hazard a guess to say yes. Low and fat may have a similar feel, but they are not fretless wonders!

My 57 CF-100 has fretless wonder wire by comparison. Look at the top pic. The Guild bass behind it has low fats similar to the red Standard I posted.
    The difference is visible.

islandjimmy likes this.
  9. islandjimmy

Thanks Darrell I see what you mean about the difference in wire size. Maybe I can make things clearer as to what I am looking for by the following. I am looking for a Norlin era Les Paul that is as close to a 1958 Les Paul as possible, except, one big difference, I don't mind a pancake body and larger headstock. Does this help? My research so far points to 1974 Standard or 1977 Standard.

10. HardCore Troubadour

A few standards produced in 74 in KM.....very few of them with and actual Standard TRC......You can find a few special orders for most early 70 years.....does not mean they were in standard production.

I have seen a pic of a 75 with a decal that read “deluxe-Standard”

Standard comes back officially in 76....pretty sure it was even in the catalog that year.

You should be looking for a pre-historic/reissue.

11. bblooz

bblooz Senior Member

I have a '74 Standard (last year before switch to maple necks). Neck is comfortable - not typical '60s slim taper, but not as fat as my R8. It has appropriate T-tops (one stickered, one stamped), Looks, plays and sounds awesome.
    upload_2017-11-15_15-7-25.jpeg

12. DarrellV

From the Norlin Count thread: It's worth a look in there. Like a shopping mall!
    1975 CSB Deluxe
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Small Script Standard 1974

13. gball

gball Senior Member

All three of the Norlin-era Customs I have owned (2 1977's and my current 1979) have had the low W I D E frets like in the pic. I can imagine they take some getting used to if you have not had a guitar with them but they will ruin you for other guitars once you do.

I agree on that. The Norlin's have their own unique vibe going on. If your ideal is a 50's guitar you may or may not find what you are looking for. I think a lot of us that prefer the Norlins do so precisely because they are not like anything else. I think my 79 Silverburst is twice as cool as anything made in the 50's and I'd happily put it up against any of them for tone, but I'd be looking elsewhere if the 50's thing was what I was going for.

islandjimmy likes this.
  14. HardCore Troubadour

bblooz, must have been mid to late 74 with one of each on the pups.....is that a small script standard TRC?

those are the ballz.......

gball, those low wide frets are a drummer's dream......just sayin'

islandjimmy likes this.
  15. Thumpalumpacus

74 will still have a mahogany neck, albeit 3-piece.

islandjimmy likes this.
  16. Thumpalumpacus

[​IMG]

Brings back memories ...

17. gball

gball Senior Member

Sure does. Clownburst or not, I would all over that thing.

18. Thumpalumpacus

I would too, brotha ... a clowny DeLuxe was my vox for 15 years.

islandjimmy likes this.
  19. grumphh

grumphh Senior Member

I am actually not much of a Norlin expert, but my 2c are that a Norlin "LP Standard" is the exact same guitar as a Norlin Deluxe with the exception of the pickup routes (and therefore by logic, the pickups) and the truss rod cover.
    Of course this doesn't cover special runs and reissues - but if it is a regular production Les Paul; Deluxes, Standards and even Customs were pretty much the same guitar*, just with different appointments. Customs just got an ebony fretboard and more bling...

So if you want to know about what to expect from a 70's LP "standard" read up on all the other LP's of the time as well.

...oh yeah, i don't mind the low and wide frets on my '79 LPC.

* I Used to have a '78 Deluxe (with one badly hacked pickup route) and i tell you, blindfolded you couldn't have distinguished that for the '79 LPC i own - they felt amazingly similar and both had a very similar acoustic tone...

islandjimmy and DarrellV like this.
  20. bblooz

bblooz Senior Member

Tnx HCT, yup, she's got the script logo. Somebody had put SDs with tap/splitting switches at one time. I removed all that garbage and upgraded to PIO caps and '50s wiring. Now she sounds as good as she looks (just wish I could get rid of those holes in the maple top where the switches were!).