* 1968 SG Standard - Stoptail Conversion Question -- Distance for new posts?

Discussion in 'Vintage SG' started by sgtsteiner, Jul 14, 2016.

1. sgtsteiner

sgtsteiner Senior Member

Hello All --

Have an old '68 SG Standard I want to convert from the stock Lyre tailpiece to a trusty stop tail.

My question -- what are the proper measurements regarding where to drill the new posts for this type conversion? Many of today's SG Standards come directly from the factory with stop tails installed. Would it be wise to follow their placement/measurements? And if so, what exactly would those measurements be?

Any help or guidance with this would be greatly appreciated. Many thanks in advance!

2. jerry47

jerry47 Premium Member

Your best bet is Get a scale rule and measure it out yourself to make sure your dead nuts on. WHAT IS SCALE LENGTH?
    A guitar's scale length is calculated by measuring the distance from the front edge of the nut, where it butts against the end of the fingerboard, to the center of the 12th (octave) fret, then doubling that measurement.
    [​IMG]
    If your 1930's Gibson L-OO, for example, measures 12-3/8" at the 12th fret, then your guitar's scale length is twice that—a 24-3/4" scale. For good intonation, the guitar's saddle will be placed so a little extra string length is added. This extra length is called "compensation," and it means the actual string length is longer than its 24-3/4" scale measurement. At the center of the saddle it will be closer to 24-7/8". Compensation varies for different strings, and that's why your saddle is placed at an angle.

Gibson
    The Gibson 24-3/4" scale is also very common, but it is also the most confusing of all scale lengths—this is because it rarely ever measures out to be 24-3/4 inches! This scale has gradually changed over the past fifty or so years due to changes in production equipment.
    [​IMG]

Best of Luck.

3. sgtsteiner

sgtsteiner Senior Member

Okay, but Is there one standard measurement for the Gibson SG Standard?

4. jerry47

jerry47 Premium Member

Yes, It's 24 3/4.

5. kakerlak

kakerlak Senior Member

I think he's keeping the stock bridge and asking about where to locate the stud holes for a stop tailpiece. I sort of cringe at the thought of modding a '68 that significantly, but to each his own. Not sure where to find an answer on the correct location of the would-be stop tail, other than that you sure do see some stoptail conversions that are way off, lol.

6. Who

Who are you? Who who who who.... Premium Member

Serious question... don't flame me for not knowing....

Why does it matter were the stoptail is, as long as it's centered?

Put it here:
    [​IMG]

Or put it here:

[​IMG]

Does it matter?

The bridge matters, for scale-length, as mentioned above. Stoptail distance? Whatever looks nice seems to be "the standard".

7. Who

8. Dolebludger

Dolebludger Premium Member

Actually, if the OP's guitar has an existing ABR type bridge in place, the scale length is already set. The distance from the bridge to the TP is not part of the scale length.

The only thing TP location relative to the bridge would do is change the "break angle" of the strings over the bridge.

9. Who

That's what I was thinking. But, sgtsteiner is just looking for the specs that Gibson uses when they mount the tailpiece in their non-tremolo builds.

Someone must have a PDF template for this.

10. jerry47

jerry47 Premium Member

If i had to guess i'd say its the same as one would find on any old Les Paul. Why would they make it a different distance. you know..