1967-1970 SG Standards

Discussion in 'Vintage SG' started by AllmanJoy77, May 24, 2009.

1. AllmanJoy77

AllmanJoy77 Senior Member

Hey Fellas,

Allright, so I think I have an opportunity to snag up Cherry Red 1970 Gibson SG with the Maestro vibrato and it should also have Pat. #s hopefully :fingersx: So any way, do any of the pickers around these parts have any experience with this era of SG? I know that the SGs did change from 67-70 but the reason Im asking... its a little pathetic and I know im gonna get shit for it... but on my never ending tone quest I recently got back into Strictly Early AC/DC and I was wondering if the '70 SG would have any potential for that tone?? Obviously Im not stupid, I know that its much MORE than the guitar that get you a certain sound but Im just curious as to if the SGs really changed so much between 67 and 70 to where it wouldnt even be there. I have not yet seen the guitar but its owned by a Very frequent customer so I knows its not shit and he says it looks even better then the '70 my boss has in the shop!

Thanks for any input guys!

Nick

This is what the guitar SHOULD look like, as it ws thouoghly described to me:

http://www.rocknrollvintage.com/prodimages/1967-Gibson-SG-standard.jpg

http://www.guitarphotographer.com/More vintage guitar photos/vertical/1967-gibson-sg-b.JPG

http://wronashouseofviolins.com/67sgstandard.jpg

*Obviously these are not my pictures*

He also said it was a real nice bright cherry if that means anything

2. AllmanJoy77

Anyone????

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. dubyatf

dubyatf Senior Member

Like this?

[​IMG]

:laugh2:

I'm not sure if it ever had any AC/DC tonal qualities per se. I never felt the stock pickups were anything special (to me, IMO, etc. etc...) so I replaced them with the SDs way back when. I've though of returning to the stock pickups from time to time.

4. 61LPSG

61LPSG Senior Member

AJ77, you need to talk to SoloDallas. He's the Angus Young/ SG expert in the forum. He's done some really nice clips on YooToob including one on tha Angus Sig. pickups.

5. Cookie-boy

Cookie-boy Senior Member

As a 1970 it should have the tiniest of volute's. Just a little bump really. No volute at all it's a 69 model. Either way I love those SG's and it should do all you want it to. Might as well post my '69. The cherry finish varies in my experience. Some can be quite bright while others dull off considerably.

[​IMG]

6. dubyatf

dubyatf Senior Member

Yep - his videos fairly nail the tone IIRC! :thumb: It's funny, after listening to AC/DC over the years on better media and equipment (CDs w/ quality amps + speakers) - I realized the guitars were a lot cleaner than I previously thought they were.

7. AllmanJoy77

Yeah SoloDallas is an AWESOME guy!! Hes got he Angus thing down pat.

Cookie boy: I F****** Love your 69 man!!!! Thats freaking sweet!! How does it sound??

8. AllmanJoy77

Also anyone who has an SG from 67' to 70' please post it!! I love seeing them!

(THank you Dubyatf and Cookieboy!)

9. EEF13

EEF13 Senior Member

you can get any AC/DC tone with any humbucker guitar through a Marshall

10. AllmanJoy77

Yeah I know man, but I really Dig that early AC/DC, almost Hollow Body tone.

11. dubyatf

dubyatf Senior Member

... plus you get great upper fret access. OTOH, the lower frets seems a bit more cramped than my LPs - just a tad - for my fingertips. The action is hard to beat though - truly a pleasure to play!

Man! I'm going to have to get it out of it's case one real soon now!

Mine is a '68 AFAIK - the serial numbers were sketchy back then - but the pots date to late '67.

12. guitarbob123

guitarbob123 Senior Member

mate, what happened to that dream r8 you wanted.
    anyway, whatever hope this one works out well.

13. AllmanJoy77

No No man, Im just dealing out a lot of issues with the R8 but there is no way in hell Im done with it!!!!!! I wish I could lay out the whole story but I dont want to make any one look bad and its really deep and I hate to talk about it.... I know it sounds really stupid but I dont know how else to put it.... But anyway, my step mom is helping me out on the R8 and Im trying to see if I can work off the guitar...

On the other hand, the only reasonable way to get the SG, if it all even works out, would be to sell my Firebird :( and sadly possibly something else too :(

Idk its all crazy but I just happened to ask this guy if he had any vintage guitars and hes like, well none but a '70 SG and I had litterally JUST asked my boss about the one the shop has that day so it was neat. Plus the guy really doesnt seem to expect to get a lot AT ALL out of the guitar so who knows

It would be INSANE and a MIRACLE if it all happened to work out...

Hope you didnt think I was just guitar hopping like a little snob... Thats not me at all man, and thats not what I want to be either...

14. Cookie-boy

Cookie-boy Senior Member

Takes me right back there!:thumb:

15. Texas07R8

Texas07R8 Senior Member

I have an early 69 SG Std. The pots date 50th week of 1968 but the headstock stamped SN indicated a 69 model. It had Pre T-Top (PAF) patent sticker pickups in it but they are gone now and it currently has period correct T-Tops that have patent stickers.

The thinnest neck I have ever played, it's 1- 9/16" across the nut and super thin. I bet Angus would love this one. I love the look of the Lyre tremolo but it really sucks at staying in tune.

My neck joint on the 69 is not the rounded heel type, it's more of a taper (similar to a Hershey's Kiss), there is NO VOLUTE and of course no stamped USA on the Headstock.

The 70 models can have a transitional volute (small volute), has Made in USA stamped on the headstock, and it is possible that it has non patent stickered T-Tops.

Here's a pic of my SG along with a few of her sisters, an 07R8 and an 87 Custom.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

My vintage 59 Les Paul Jr and the vintage 69 SG:
    [​IMG]

16. AllmanJoy77

Thanks man!! That is Really Awesome! I love the SG and the Junior together. Thank you for the info man!

17. Benoit Trow

Benoit Trow Senior Member

Here's my rather clean '69 - completely untouched other than the strap locks I added.

Also, I have the original Patent P/Us from my friends '67 SG Standard that I grabbed after he installed Dimarzios in the late 70s. He didn't want them and I figured they might be useful at a later date, they're still in the original plastic boxes the Dimarzios came in!

Attached Files:

18. Tehnicolor

Tehnicolor Junior Member

Here's my '69 SG Standard with Metroamp JTM45 and Southbay Ampworks/Scumback 2x12 cab.

[​IMG]

19. SG John

SG John Senior Member

Here are a couple of shots of my two '68 Standards.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]