1961 LPS Restoration

Discussion in 'Vintage Les Pauls' started by crashbelt, Mar 7, 2018.

1. crashbelt

crashbelt Junior Member

20180102_002052.jpg
    I inherited this much mistreated 61 a couple of months ago. It had a John Birch customisation :( in the early 80s including a 2-3mm thick all over (yes even the board:mad2:) poly finish over a dark green into black burst refin. The sideways was replaced with a Gibson fine-tuning tailpiece - apologies to anyone who rushed to the bathroom at this point:shock:.

Lesser crimes were replacement tuners, wrong saddles and missing switch surround. But the good stuff - original hot PAFs:thumb: (covers had been off and put back but I checked to see unmolested coils), original TR cover, guard and knobs and no sign of old neck breaks (although can't be 100% sure what's under the opaque poly yet). Original pots with easily reversible treble bleed cap mod.

So it's with the brilliant Joseph Kaye Guitars in London for stripping and aged Polaris White refin, and replacement of wrong parts with aged replicas. It needs to be a solid colour to cover filled holes and there are a couple of nice examples on the internet of original custom ordered white 61s which look awesome.

My only dilemma is whether to get a repro stop tailpiece or a repro sideways. I really don't like sideways, and this will be a player for gigging, but it would look right. I'd welcome thoughts on that.

I'll post pictures when it's done although this will be a long job to get it right.

2. Left Paw

Left Paw Senior Member

Good luck on that one. It can be brought back with a lot of work. I would opt for the stop tail since the guitar will never be original again.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2018
    RAG7890, 6077dino, crashbelt and 2 others like this.
  3. Duane_the_tub

Duane_the_tub Senior Member

+1 on the stop. If it's a player, you'll appreciate the stability. Glad someone is giving that old girl the resurrection she deserves. Best of luck.

4. Stinky Kitty

Stinky Kitty Senior Member

Sweet Score! Gratz

Def the stop for a player..

crashbelt and bulletproof like this.
  5. pinefd

pinefd V.I.P. Member Premium Member V.I.P. Member

For my '61 restoration, I went with an original sideways vibrola, because I've always loved the looks of them. But recognizing its limitations, I did the Mojoaxe VibroStop conversion on it (which is completely reversible, btw):

[​IMG]

"MojoAxe VibroStop Sideways Vibrola Conversion Kit

for 1960,1961, and 1962 Gibson SGs

The sideways vibrola unit installed onto the early 1960's Gibson SGs is notorious for causing tuning issues and in some cases making these otherwise wonderful guitars pretty much unplayable. The MojoAxe VibroStop Conversion Kit allows for an easy conversion of the stock Gibson sideways vibrola unit to a solid stop type setup. All of the springs and moving parts of the stock vibrola unit are replaced with a single solid block. The VibroStop conversion tailpiece block is precision CNC machined from aircraft grade 7075 tempered aluminum barstock and plated with a nickel finish. Once installed, the tuning stability is dramatically improved and on par with an ABR/stopbar setup. Additionally, the VibroStop increases the downward angle of the strings behind the bridge resulting in improved sustain and tone.

The MojoAxe VibroStop Conversion Kit includes the stoptail block and all necessary fasteners. Installation can be done with ordinary tools. $125"

Here is a link to the website, sold by one of our fellow members here (Danelectro): http://www.mojoaxe.com

Here's how my restoration came out:

[​IMG]

Best of luck!

Frank

6. crashbelt

crashbelt Junior Member

Thanks that's really helpful - I use Mojoaxe intonating stop tailpieces on Juniors and Specials. They're great guys to deal with and I'll seriously consider that option.

Love your restoration - hope mine comes close!!

bulletproof, deadlyweasel and pinefd like this.
  7. Greco

Greco Senior Member

I'd say if you have the chance to put on a stoptail instead of a de-sexed sideways toaster thing, then go with the stoptail.

8. chasenblues

chasenblues Senior Member

Wouldn't the Stop Tail posts/studs have to be re-positioned on this? The current studs look way far back.

sg.JPG

9. Greco

Greco Senior Member

Yep. That's why he's going with white, I thought?

RAG7890 likes this.
  10. chasenblues

Maybe i misread his post then..
    The current location is where the TP/comb(?) for the sideways trem was attached correct?

11. Greco

Greco Senior Member

I'm pretty sure they float and were attached at the back on a hinge. So those badly misplaced holes were all butchery.

12. crashbelt

crashbelt Junior Member

Yes I was thinking of the solid white colour as there will be holes to be filled after the misplaced tailpiece is removed, which would show through a translucent finish.

Incidentally there was evidence in the cavities that the original colour was cherry. No surprise there.

bulletproof likes this.
  13. chasenblues

:slap: D'oh..Got my trem/tailpiece parts confused..

Though this was under the sideways cover for some reason.:facepalm:

Gibson_EMS-1235_EDS-1275_tail_piece_guitar_parts_vintage.jpg

14. Greco

Greco Senior Member

Well if those are the only holes or breaks then I think two well placed bits of mahogany wouldn't look too bad under red. It might even then look better with a tremolo of some kind to cover them. Depends if you can live with plugged holes or not.

15. mapleflame

mapleflame Senior Member

I remember this guitar lol
    Frannnnnnk what up $$$!!!

bulletproof likes this.
  16. pinefd

pinefd V.I.P. Member Premium Member V.I.P. Member

Hey, Steve, how are you?!? Of course you remember that one! Not much happening...although I'm off to Nashville tomorrow to attend this weekend's guitar show. I don't imagine you go to that show, do you? It's not nearly as good as the Philly show, so I'm told, but it's a good excuse to get together with some of my guitar buddies.

Frank