1961 Gibson Les Paul/SG Custom

Discussion in 'Vintage SG' started by Harpozep, Oct 22, 2008.

1. pinefd

pinefd V.I.P. Member V.I.P. Member

Here's me with my old one...a long, long time ago. It's the only guitar I really regret selling.

[​IMG]

Frank

Luke-93 likes this.
  2. circusboy28

circusboy28 Senior Member

Beautiful guitars guys.

3. planks

planks Senior Member

Great thread :thumb:

4. loucamaro91

loucamaro91 Senior Member

Wow,
    Thats awesome Toad!
    I want one BAD. I'm working out a deal on one right now. Not as vintage as these(93') but it works for me.

5. LPCustom72

LPCustom72 Senior Member

If Buddy Guy played it, then it is the guitar on the cover of the album - I Was Walking Through the Woods. He is playing a blonde, SG Custom with the side vibrato. Here is a link to the photo. Sorry - don't have an account yet with Photobucket. BTW - I didn't see Danny play this guitar but one of the times I saw him play, he was playing his 60/61 LP Custom with the bizarre device over the bridge.

http://bluestormmusic.com/store/images/guybuddy_walkingthrough.bmp

6. Nils

Nils Senior Member

Same site. Shop has only one 61 custom. So they probably did change out. Or the pics from the site aren't theirs.

7. moodindigo

moodindigo Junior Member

I wanted a '61 for 20 years or more, and when I finally got this, it turned out to be an absolute beauty to play. My lucky day when I found it.

[​IMG]

8. Drowned Rabbit

Drowned Rabbit Premium Member

Here's some pics of my 1962 Custom :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG][/QUOTE]

9. Dolebludger

Dolebludger Premium Member

As I bought a '61 LP SG Standard new in '61, I know that the Custom (which I considered too) had very low and broad frets, and was called the "fretless wonder". Do any of these still have their original frets, or copies thereof? Just wondering because (thinking back to '61) I recall that I didn't care much for those "fretless wonder" frets on the Custom, and that is one of the reasons I bought the Standard.

And there was a comment above about how heavy these '61 LP SG Customs are. Same with the Standards. The weight comes from (in part) the side pull trem unit. It is very heavy. And perhaps some of the older mahogany was heavier too. I have heard comments that the new Gibson '61 models and the Epi G400 models (all without trem) are neck heavy. Well I checked those out this week, and they are. But my real '61 LP SG Standard is not neck heavy at all.

10. Drowned Rabbit

Drowned Rabbit Premium Member

Mine still has the original "Fretless Wonder" frets. Also, it is heavier than my SG Standard, but not prohibitively so. And it balances perfectly :)

11. Dolebludger

Dolebludger Premium Member

I test played a G 400 last week just to see how neck heavy it is. The answer is VERY! I was shocked! Indeed, I consider the G400 to be almost unplayable in a standing position. In contrast, my '61 LP SG Standard has great balance and fairly light weight so that does not cause shoulder pain during long gigs. The difference seemed to be more than just trem and body wood weight. Should I get the chance, I would like to do a side-by-side inspection of the '61 and the G400 and measure some diminsions that are critical to balance. I'll just bet there is a difference there, too. In theory, the older wood (which was old growth to begin with) should actually be lighter than the new growth, sap filled wood used on new guitars.