1961 Fender Stratocaster owned by Vic Flick

Discussion in 'Fender' started by Actinic, Oct 25, 2013.

1. Actinic

Actinic Senior Member

Legendary studio musician Vic Flick was shown on Pawn Stars this evening. He sold his cherished 1961 Fender Stratocaster for $55,000. As soon as the segment of the show is downloaded to Youtube, please post it here for the record.

[​IMG]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KsHt03NQahw"]Vic Flick at the Cannery - YouTube[/ame]

Vic provided the dealer with a list of songs he performed during his career. The show hinted that the James Bond theme (Dr. No) may have been played on this guitar. Not true according to this interview:

http://blogcritics.org/interview-axeman-vic-flick-tells-why1/

The timing on that TV show account would have been tight, given the fact that Dr. No was released in 1962. The above interview also indicates that Vic's first Strat was stolen, and this is his replacement. The soundtrack of A Hard Day's Night probably features this (2nd) Strat.

[​IMG]

A great audio interview on Flick's very extensive work/career is featured on Youtube.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yRkSit5Rkqo[/ame]

Surely this guitar has more significance in music history than Mary Ford's SG, which eventually re-sold for over $100K. Expect to see the guitar up on Ebay by Xmas. That's my guess. :naughty:

2. AngryHatter

AngryHatter Senior Member

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  3. Minte

Minte I need a snappy title Premium Member

I watched that last night, the guy had quite the career. I liked when he talked about giving Jimmy Page lessons. I agree, historically that would seem to be a desirable guitar. And it was in very good shape.

4. njelevation06

njelevation06 Senior Member

I saw this last night as well. I have a sneaking suspicion that this segment was staged. Unless Flick was strung out in Vegas and desperate for cash (clearly not the case), why would he possibly sell his guitar at a pawn shop? For starters, I doubt that he would want to lose this guitar. If he did, I'd have to imagine that he would sell through a reputable dealer with connections to collectors. Rick had no clue who he was, and had to call in his guitar expert to come down and vouch for Flick and the authenticity of the guitar.

5. AngryHatter

AngryHatter Senior Member

6. cookieman15061

cookieman15061 Senior Member

It's TV of course it's fake.
    Some believe we actually have a President.

3 people like this.
  7. pmfan

pmfan Junior Member

He did not say it was used on Dr. No. I'm pretty sure he said it was used on Goldfinger (in which he also plays the theme).

I don't think he would have lied about it in making a sale on one of the most watched shows on American TV. But this guitar is obviously a gem from a great and famous player.

As to the price, Rick has to make a profit. He knows it's worth more than $55K. But if Flick auctioned it, he would have to pay auction fees. Flick thought he might only get $30K for it. Who couldn't use $55K in $100 bills on occasion. Even to Vic Flick that's a nice amount.

8. RaSTuS26

RaSTuS26 Senior Member

Never heard of the guy until this thread.

3 people like this.
  9. muletrane

muletrane Member

This

10. trussart23

trussart23 Junior Member

I loved the "original" Hotrails bridge pickup! Bwahahaha! Who's the "expert" that verified that?

2 people like this.
  11. tazzboy

tazzboy V.I.P. Member

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eeuhXwvb3V8]Vic Flick Performs the James Bond Theme - YouTube[/ame]

12. retrobob

retrobob Senior Member

I know, I can't believe that wasn't pointed out by Jesse the guitar expert.:hmm:

13. mbowen

mbowen Premium Member

Great player and guitar ,thanks Mike B.

14. ElfDUde

ElfDUde Member

It probably was, but was edited out later. Obviously they spent a lot of time filming that segment and edited it down to just a few minutes.

I really enjoyed watching this episode. As soon as it was over I had to pull out the HELP DVD and watch the segment where he plays the guitar during the Ringo section of the movie.

15. redcoats1976

redcoats1976 Senior Member

of course we do...head of monsanto.VP is president of goldman sachs.

16. Greg's Guitars

Greg's Guitars Senior Member

hotrail jumped out right off the bat, then doing a quick search several of his "007" guitars have surfaced....and a Texas auction sold a white strat with mint pickguard and original pickups as his 007 strat for 25K....hmmmmmmm

17. Tazz3

Tazz3 Senior Member

Thats a nice guitar he should have kept it