1960's Olympic serial number ID

Discussion in 'Other Epiphones' started by johnnymg, Oct 10, 2015.

1. Brians Evil Twin

Brians Evil Twin Poophoria Sōtō Zen V.I.P. Member

Cool thread this one.

BTW, "scarf" is a term used to denote two pieces of wood joined together at an angle: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scarf_joint

I believe what you mean is what is normally referred to as a "belly cut".

2 people like this.
  2. A1Coyote

A1Coyote Senior Member

Thanks for clarifying the terminology!

3. duane v

duane v Senior Member

thanks mang

The faceplate was opened up to fit a P90/Humbucker sized CC pup.... The standard sized CC pup is too long and may have extended outside the face plate. I just routed out the cavity this morning and it's all coming together.... I just need to research where to connect the bridge ground to, then I'm setting her up

4. johnnymg

johnnymg Senior Member

Thread hijack alert: :laugh2:

FWIW, both Epiphone and Gibson use "belly scarf" in their official specs for their guitars. :hmm:

Gibson.com: Gibson Custom Les Paul Axcess Standard
    To further enhance playing comfort, this smoothly carved neck joint is combined with a “belly scarf” (aka ribcage contour) that allows the body of the guitar to hug closely to your own body in the playing position without digging in.

Epiphone Les Paul Ultra-III
    Body Material: Chambered mahogany with Belly-scarf

1 person likes this.
  5. johnnymg

johnnymg Senior Member

You should be able to connect that ground to one of the common ground points on the pot.

Sounds like you've got this well under control and it only needed a tiny bit of opening. The big no-no is hogging out the bodies of these vintage guitars. FWIW, I had to open up the front cavity on my reissue Wilshire a tiny bit. I noticed the neck pup was tilted forward. When I pulled the pup I realized it was wedged against the back of the cavity. Had to remove ~0.050" along the back edge to get the pup to sit comfy. Didn't have to do any penance for modding a re-issue! :applause:

1 person likes this.
  6. duane v

duane v Senior Member

LOL.... sorry about that:fingersx: .... I thought it would be okay to piggy back my little project on this thread, since it was relevant to what I was doing, and it answered some questions i needed answering to... Which I do very much appreciate.... Thanks fellas :dude:

Anywhoo she is done and wired up..... what a guitar.... Letting the strings stretch and just a minir tweak to the truss rod and she is ready

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  7. A1Coyote

A1Coyote Senior Member

Gorgeous looking Olympic. I can think of only one thing to say:

Wow! :applause:

Fantastic Results. If you ever get a chance to let us hear the vintage sound from that Charlie Christian, that would be a treat, considering it is a copy of a 1936 pick-up!

1 person likes this.
  8. johnnymg

johnnymg Senior Member

WOW WOW WOW............. that Olympic is like a Phoenix rising from the ashes! :applause:

As I'm the OP I'll give you official permission to hijack this thread with as many pics as you want.

My foray in Vintage Darkness went straight to the 'vintage hall of shame' so right now I'm living vicariously through your cool restoration. Congrats!!! :wave:

Edit: An old Luthier showed me how he stretched-in new strings: grabbed each string and gave em a frightening pull up off the fingerboard. :wow:

9. duane v

duane v Senior Member

Thanks fellas!!!!

I've always wanted an Olympic, but I didn't want to get a nice one and modify it.... So when the opportunity presented itself to get the project bare body one, I just had to jump on it.... I had the opportunity to get the period correct knobs and tuners, but I just didn't feel good about outbidding people that were probably trying to acquire those knobs for a "restoration back to stock project." but I did need to get TRC..... I felt a little bad, but there were three more on ebay for people to bid on.

I thought the Epi would have an SG feel, but it's quite far removed from any Gibson I have ever played.... I almost want to say it sorta feels like Teli, but it really has it's own little vibe:dude:

10. johnnymg

johnnymg Senior Member

"......... sounds kinda like a Tele but different ........ with a little bit of punch"
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z-PChP4cFE4

Plus this one:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fxue1myWZA0

1 person likes this.
  11. duane v

duane v Senior Member

Great player.....:dude:

I'm setting up everything right now and I'm going to do a recording tonight using two amps.... My Vox AC50 and my Roland Street EX.... I'm going to lay down four guitar tracks on a little short jam..... I'll be done tonight..... Now keep in mind I'm a metal player that plays blues rock a little differently....lol... So be nice

2 people like this.
  12. johnnymg

johnnymg Senior Member

I wonder if that little Oly can chug? :laugh2:

13. A1Coyote

A1Coyote Senior Member

1 person likes this.
  14. A1Coyote

A1Coyote Senior Member

I was just checking out the photos (again), what a good looking guitar!

The contrast of that cherry finish with the black scratch guard and the pick up cover turned out very well.

15. duane v

duane v Senior Member

Well I'm taking a break and I'm going to re lay the bass track down in about 20 minutes.... It took me 12 takes to get the lead guitar track right.... I ended up using my VOX Night Train Amp instead of the AC50

2 people like this.
  16. duane v

duane v Senior Member

Sorry it took so long.... Had an issue with the drum program

I just used my VOX 50 Watt night train head with two 2x12 VOX cabs loaded with greenbacks..... Recorded on Music Studio App (Ipad) with an Apogee mic. I recorded four different guitar tracks

Hofner 500/1 bass using Irig plug in

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DrxIaKePCnU&featur[/ame]

2 people like this.
  17. johnnymg

johnnymg Senior Member

Dang that's just great playing Sir! You're a one-man band! :applause:

Also, the Vox really filled-out the normally thin sound that these Olympics tend to have. Surprisingly beefy tone.

cheers and another big congrats on the wonderful resurrection of your Olympic
    JohnG

1 person likes this.
  18. duane v

duane v Senior Member

Thanks mang..... with these recording apps, it's really easy to record these days.... Before you practically needed four hands.... But I recommend using an Apogee mic.... It's pricey but it works great on everything including vocals.

Though the pickup looks like a CC pup, but it's been wound slightly on the hot side. The Nightrain itself has seen my local amp guy for re-wiring and better tubes, so it wont sound like a stock Night Train

1 person likes this.
  19. A1Coyote

A1Coyote Senior Member

Freakin' awesome sound! Ditto on the playing! Super sound from that Ole Oly!!!! Sounds as fantastic as it looks! Congrats on an excellent result.

I was wondering how that Charlie Christian was going to sound, the few videos out there are not terrific. Overwound sounds like it was the best choice.

You have to be pretty happy with your results. Congratulations. :thumb: :applause:

20. A1Coyote

A1Coyote Senior Member

BTW, I heard the chug! :naughty: