1960 Gibson Les Paul Classic.

Discussion in 'Historics & Reissues' started by charveldan, Aug 3, 2009.

1. moeman

moeman Senior Member

Here's a couple of picks of my "Prehistoric" 1960 reissue.

Bought in 92, made in 91.

Attached Files:

2. moeman

moeman Senior Member

Couple more pics...

Anybody have any realistic idea what it my be worth? I am looking to sell....

Attached Files:

3. Knuckles

Knuckles Junior Member

Hey new to the site........ I have a '92 Ebony Les Paul Classic with the white bindings and pick guard. The thing is sick the early classics were considered the hot rods of the les pauls..... It definitely sound alot different then my 2004 Standard. Will post pics.....

4. Knuckles

Knuckles Junior Member

My babies

Attached Files:

5. essguitarman

essguitarman Senior Member

I've always wondered, what's the deal with the green inlays on the later classics?

6. rockstar232007

rockstar232007 Senior Member

They were made to simulate "age", because if you look at many of the vintage LPs, the original Cellulose Nitrate inlays turned yellow/green from the players' sweat, smoke, and just plain old age. And, since Classics were created as an homage to the original '60s Standards, the "aged" inlays were just a finishing touch.

7. cutaway

cutaway Junior Member

Any opinions on how a 1999 Les Paul Classic matches up to 1990 to 1993 models? Thanx.

8. thexmadxtopxhatter

thexmadxtopxhatter Senior Member

No two gibson's are the same for a year. Every year has some good and bad ones. And whether a guitar is good or bad comes down to the player.

9. cutaway

cutaway Junior Member

Hi everyone. I'm new here. I have a question. How does everyone think a 1999 Gibson Les Paul Classic match up with models produced fom 1990 to 1993? I don't know how I'll see your answers on here, so here's my email: andyjupina@gmail.com. Thanks.

10. rmc9a7

rmc9a7 Senior Member

I bought something similar on Ebay, Custom Shop Logo on back of headstock, similar serial, etc. Mine is Ebony with Classic 57s, gold hardware, ABR-1 bridge. So far this is all I have found about the Custom Shop Classics:

Les Paul Classic Premium Plus

If you find anything else out about these guitars I would love to know!

11. SkyDogJr

SkyDogJr Senior Member

Like beating a dead horse, I know...

I have a 1991, all gold, Classic 1960.

I remember reading in a price guide that also had shipping totals of these guitars and from what I read, there were fewer of the all gold models manufactured than the regular gold tops and sunbursts. At the time, because of this fact, the all gold models were valued higher in the price guide than the other 1991 Classic 1960 guitars.

Mine also just happens to have a set of Pepper pickups that were wound by that guy that you can't talk about without having the name of the pickups or the guy asterisked out.

I've seen the price of the guitar decreasing over the years since I bought it and have wondered, what in the world is the thing worth, as it sits.

Some shots of the board:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This was before the pup transplant:

[​IMG]

I know, it's what I am willing to let it go for and what someone is willing to pay for it...:io:

As much as I love this guitar, it's not me (where I am at musically) anymore and it's not being played anymore. (Also having shoulder issues which contribute to it not being played...)

I know the pics aren't that great, but let me know what you think.

Thanks.

12. Comanche

Comanche Senior Member

Snot green inlays FTW.

13. SkyDogJr

SkyDogJr Senior Member

It's a 1991. The pics are dark, but I never really thought of the inlays as snot green like the inlays on the post 1993 Classic 1960 Les Pauls... I'll have to try to take some better pics of the board in better light.

14. SkyDogJr

SkyDogJr Senior Member

You know, I was just looking at the guitar again and the inlays are not snot green like the inlays I've seen on the post '93 Classic 1960 model, but they are dark.

Anyone else want to weigh in on this? I'm just wondering if they were all dark from '90 to mid '93?