1960 Gibson Les Paul Classic.

Discussion in 'Historics & Reissues' started by charveldan, Aug 3, 2009.

1. B2Rockin

B2Rockin Junior Member

Hey thanks man. I guess the only thing that is really stopping me is this... is the value of a 1992 les paul classic, well taken care of but does have some years on it obviously playing... is it worth trading a $1600-1700 amp for.

Or is it more worth it to wait and sell the thing and get an almost brand new Les Paul Standard (on ebay, etc). The value is really all I care about... if the thing is worth $1600-$1700 I think i'll go for it, i love the finish and the look of it. I can always switch pups.

From what i've seen the Classics, atleast the twenty first century classics were one step below the Standard as far as the product was concerned (price wise), and I have no idea if this was true in the early 90's

2. SKATTERBRANE

SKATTERBRANE Banned

The early Classics cost more than the same year Standards.

3. SKATTERBRANE

SKATTERBRANE Banned

In the early 90s a Standard listed for $1600, a Classic $2200. (the Classic Plus and Premium Plus were even more)

4. loudlester

loudlester Member

Here's my 1992 Prehistoric painted by Tom Murphy in a very rare Birdseye/Quilt/Blister. It has the Custom Shop Edition Decal and came w/ a COA signed by Tom as well...very cool!

BTW in the early 90's Gibson put out some very nice guitars.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. rockappalla

rockappalla Senior Member

Here's my 1995 Classic premium plus...I love it :D
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. R'nien

R'nien Senior Member

That same guitar is in Hawaii last time I was there. Great guitar!!!

As far as an early classic, it seems like a decent deal. My only thought is that for around $2000 you could get a goldtop 57' reissue.

7. loudlester

loudlester Member

The 92 ? If so, there are only about 25 of them, Ive only seen pics of 3 others.

8. R'nien

R'nien Senior Member

It was at Dan's guitar shop in Waikiki in 2000 and then I went back to visit and another shop had it right by Dan's but closer to the Zoo going towards the beach. I played it a couple of times and had to convince myself I didn't need it. It was one that got away. It had the same birds eye look also. Same color.

9. SKATTERBRANE

SKATTERBRANE Banned

10. R'nien

R'nien Senior Member

11. B2Rockin

B2Rockin Junior Member

Thanks for the responses guys! I wish I knew how to post pictures on here so you could see what I am looking at.

I am really having a hard time putting a value on this guitar... it is good to know they were worth more than the standards during the time period, because now they are not (I wonder why gibson made that move).

The offer for the 95' standard natural finish has changed... the guy now wants $400 extra cash along with my mesa boogie 3 channel dual rectifier half stack with matching oversized mesa closed back slant cab (vintage 30's). funny he offered the Standard first for the trade and didn't mention the $400... He priced his 95' standard at $1900, I respect that, although I see them all over the place on ebay going for $1600-$1800

I showed interest in the 92' classic because I like the tobacco burst better than the natural finish and he must have changed his mind... now he thinks it is an even trade just for the classic... I don't know guys what do you think? trying to put a good value to this guitar. My amp is worth $1700- $1600 minimum.

Starting to lean towards being patient in selling the amp for cash and maybe adding a couple hundred if I need to, to get whatever finish standard I want, in pretty much brand new condition with the burstbuckers (my preference) unless there is something extravagant about the early 90's which I am open to. Fret wear is a concern also, not sure about a guitar that old, and like one of you said... it will never appreciate significantly bc it is not a VOS or true Heritage reissue...

Long Post I know... the quarrels of buying your first LP, you want it to be a good one and not get ripped!!:Ohno: Any thoughts?

12. R'nien

R'nien Senior Member

Sell the amp and go one the hunt. Never settle.

13. Kølabrennern

Kølabrennern Senior Member

Listen. Aside from what it costs and what you'd have to go through to get the Classic, is it a guitar you really want? I paid $1400 for mine a year ago with a repaired headstock. I could probably have gotten another one cheaper from someone else, but I really, really wanted that guitar and just said phuck it, this is what I'm going for! The early 90s were the golden years for the Classic, specifically '90 - mid'93 and I really think you're getting a superior instrument over a modern Standard. I'm also very partial to the ABR-1 bridge with posts that screw directly into the wood, so a Standard would be out of the question for me right away, but again - that's just me.

I didn't read everything in this thread, but can you try the guitar before you decide? If so, then you could check the fretwear and those things for yourself to see you'd be getting a killer playing guitar right away or if you'd have to use some more cash to have it setup before its true potential would shine through.

Edit: If you have problems with uploading pictures, send them to my email and I'll upload them on Photobucket for you and post them here. Leidolfr@gmail.com

14. loudlester

loudlester Member

15. B2Rockin

B2Rockin Junior Member

Hey thanks man, I agree with you about trying it out. This guy would probably be pissed though if I tried it and then said no lol. He's an older guy and plays gigs, has several guitars etc.

As far as the build quality, that was another thing I was wondering, were they hand made in the early 90's, do people not like the plek machine method? and did you say the bridges on the older LP's didn't screw directly into the wood? did they route them first? because if they routed them first with something to screw into obviously which takes more time and labor, it is a better build quality. You are starting to make me reconsider this classic, I do like the finish... Although I love burstbuckers, but maybe i'll say phuck it like you ;)

16. R'nien

R'nien Senior Member

17. Kølabrennern

Kølabrennern Senior Member

Pssh, just let him be pissed if it turns out you don't want it, it's not like you go to a guitar store and buy a guitar you don't want either. He'll understand.

I haven't played a pleked guitar, so I can't comment on that. The ABR-1 bridge has two 6/32" screws as posts that are just screwed directly into the guitar body, it's not routed or anything. On Standards and other modern USA line guitars the bridge posts screw into bushings that are sunk into the body instead. I'm a firm believer that when the bridge posts go directly into the wood, the tone transfer is superior, but that's just one opinion against another I suppose. And if you like Burstbuckers or any other pickups better, swapping them is easy peasy. :thumb:

18. Lespaul59

Lespaul59 Senior Member

1992 Les Paul '60 Reissue (R6)

[​IMG]

19. SKATTERBRANE

SKATTERBRANE Banned

Sweeeeeet!!

20. FUS44

FUS44 Senior Member

I wish the Historics had the same top carve as the early classics.
    Although the neck is totally off, my 91 classic nailed the top carve of a burst.