1960 Gibson Les Paul Classic.

Discussion in 'Historics & Reissues' started by charveldan, Aug 3, 2009.

1. Metlking

Metlking Senior Member

I think you did good:
    That says it all! :dude:

2. SKATTERBRANE

SKATTERBRANE Banned

Yep the GT Classic has always confused me too, especially in the early years when the Classic was meant to be a 1960 reissue in the regular USA line similar to the 61 SG reissue is in the regular USA line. Some people do not consider the earlier Classics a reissue, but they really are. Gibson wanted a cheaper, more accessible reissue style Les Paul for people who could not afford the Flametop RI or Goldtop RI preHistorics. By 1991, the preHistorics actually took on many of the Classic's more accurate appointments, and before Gibson put on the hardware, the 1991-mid 1993 Classics and preHistorics were the same guitar, so much so that many were redesignated either way at the factory as needed.

3. R'nien

R'nien Senior Member

Here is a true pre-historic. Great guitar. Made is 1991. All original with the very first 57' classic pickups they made.

[​IMG][/IMG]

[​IMG][/IMG]

[​IMG][/IMG]

4. SKATTERBRANE

SKATTERBRANE Banned

Not too many prehistorics have the customshop decal on them.

5. R'nien

R'nien Senior Member

I've only seen 2, same year also. The other one is in Hawaii.

6. SKATTERBRANE

SKATTERBRANE Banned

THe 1993 and very early 1994 Historics had the "Historic Collection" decal however, and a FEW of those had a "Custom Shop Edition" decal.

7. smcgov

smcgov Senior Member

8. B2Rockin

B2Rockin Junior Member

I have a trade option... for my first les paul, and I need some opinions from you guys who know your les pauls...

both stock..
    '92 Les Paul Standard Natural top (perfect condition)
    or...
    '95 Les Paul Classic tobacco burst (the guy says 1960 reissue w/ some buckle rash)

What do you guys think? and when did Gibson first start putting burstbuckers in the Standards?

Thanks to all who reply :)

9. SKATTERBRANE

SKATTERBRANE Banned

I have had several of those Natural Standards from the early 90s, nice Les Pauls. Perfect is important to me too. The Standard has 490R/490T pickups and the Classic has 496R/500T pickups.

10. B2Rockin

B2Rockin Junior Member

Hey thanks! I have had the hardest time trying to find what pick ups are in a 92' standard. I played one of the latest LP standards with burstbuckers at the local guitar center and fell in love with it, maybe these guitars aren't what I should be looking at... those pick ups are over $250!!

11. bootlegboy1

bootlegboy1 Senior Member

Classics must be decent guitars, Jimmy Page played a Gold Top premium plus for the Page Plant unledded sessions back in 94

12. Kølabrennern

Kølabrennern Senior Member

I can't resist, here's mine again:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. B2Rockin

B2Rockin Junior Member

Indeed beautiful guitars, no doubt about it. I can't wait to try this one out. The guy just sent me a picture of it, it is tobacco burst and it looks amazing. The 92 standard he has in natural is ironically in better condition even though it is 3 years older and it has those cylinder style tone and volume knobs which i am not a big fan for, I like the tradition style knobs like the one in the above pictures...

For those of you who own classics how do you like the 496r and 500t pups? I've heard the 500T is too much... and really haven't heard anything about the 496.

The 92' standard has 498's in it, i believe the same as an sg standard, and i actually like those also... something to think about for myself, are pickups worth it over fiinish etc? lol we shall see. Thanks guys!

14. B2Rockin

B2Rockin Junior Member

By the way if someone can help me I would love to post some pictures of the 2 I am considering so you can see them!

Rock on...

15. B2Rockin

B2Rockin Junior Member

the 95' classic indeed has 1960 on the pick guard, not sure if this holds any significance. Hoping Gibson's quality was good during these years... Sorry for so many posts I am getting excited, this will be my first LP!! :fingersx:

16. B2Rockin

B2Rockin Junior Member

Is this true with the inlays and thicker neck for say a 1995 classic? I am looking for the pro's and con's for this guitar because I am looking at a beautiful tobacco burst right now, well taken care of with a little buckle rash. What neck profile would you say the latter like mid 90's classic have? Hard to find info on these babies. Thanks!

17. R'nien

R'nien Senior Member

To answer your question about the 500t pickup, some guys say they hate them, but I loved the way it would drive my old tube amp. Most classics I've played have had a slimmer neck profile. The inlays have been yellowish bit are in the correct shape as the historics.

18. R'nien

R'nien Senior Member

Also I know a guy who has one for sale. It's a perfect shape tobacco burst that is the first year made. It's says "model" instead of classic.

19. B2Rockin

B2Rockin Junior Member

Thats great, thank you man! And I think the guy just confirmed that it is a 92' Classic, and a 95' standard, he got the years mixed up. So this classic is even closer to becomming "vintage" in excellent condition too, the buckle rash is through the finish but only the size of a quarter it looks like. So I guess because of the year it was made, this Classic doesn't have those "green inlays" that people are talking about, from the pic's they look white. Might be an excellent first Les Paul, I can't wait to check it out. Am curious to know what the difference is between this and the standards back then besides neck profile, pick ups, truss rod cover, and pick guard "1960". And if I put different gibson pick ups in it other than stock if that will depreciate its value...

20. Kølabrennern

Kølabrennern Senior Member

I saw someone post here that had his truss rod replaced because it broke on him that there was no truss rod condom on the early Classics. Another small difference is that the binding is thin in the cutaway so you can see the maple top peek out. Don't think any modern Gibson will appreciate much in value either way, so modding it shouldn't matter.