1960 Burst Restoration

Discussion in 'Vintage Les Pauls' started by Jumping@shadows, Nov 18, 2018.

1. EpiLP1985

EpiLP1985 Senior Member

It's beating a dead horse at this point but he's keeping the guitar.

2. northernguy

northernguy Senior Member

"As for the ‘moral’ outrage- as has been stated by various contributors- this was for sale all over the net and at major guitar shows for months, completely ignored, steadily falling in price until the owner offered it to me as a husk as in his own words he was ‘done with it’."

Nobody wanted bursts after 1960, let alone ANY Les Paul and we all know how that turned out.

PermissionToLand and Oldskoolrob like this.
  3. Jewel the Sapphire

Jewel the Sapphire Senior Member

Sounds absolutely pearled, bravo

4. Daytripper67

Daytripper67 Member

Not only has he stated he was keeping it,He said he is gonna gig it regularly.:acoustic:

5. Redfish

Redfish Senior Member

As far as I can tell, he now has an incredible conversion that sounds amazing. He apparently only has a small investment and his own labor in it. As I understand it he has no intention of flipping it so value is not an issue. I say well done and enjoy!

JeffH66, 1969 weatherman and pinefd like this.
  6. Rodd

Rodd Junior Member

That is simply amazing to me. Nice work, and I enjoyed the detailed pictures and description of the process. Thanks for sharing with us!!

JeffH66 likes this.
  7. refret

refret Junior Member

I'm not convinced. The finished headstock photo I saw was less than impressive: shape, finish, silkscreen, logo all look off to me. The thick neck binding is another major compromise. You can see a witness line around the perimeter of the top in the finish as well.

A black finish would have hidden any work done at the back of the neck to beef it up, and it sounds as if that's all the woodwork that was really needed. Sadly, flame maple doomed this guitar to its cruel and unusual mutilation. Instagram claims another soul.

8. PierM

PierM Certified Naysayer Premium Member

I didn't see more pictures. Only seen these in this thread, and in another one, but they were more or less same as here.

Do you have any link to the finished headstock?

9. sws1

sws1 V.I.P. Member

Just curious, Yuuki. Given the ability to almost perfectly hide the center block, why not make those snakebite holes disappear? Or is that impossible?

10. refret

refret Junior Member

PierM likes this.
  11. neuroy

neuroy Senior Member

No !
    A black finish (even gold) will never hide the "witness lines". They will show up by time.

12. refret

refret Junior Member

There wouldn't be any witness lines on the body if the original Les Paul Custom binding had been left on, and the middle pickup route left alone.

13. PermissionToLand

PermissionToLand Senior Member

Well, "correcting" in that he believes it was a factory mistake. But do we even know that's true? I would think it more likely to be a custom order than a body clearly bearing a Maple cap getting accidentally routed for three pickups, no?

lespaulfreak93 and northernguy like this.
  14. Blue Blood

Blue Blood Senior Member

Agreed.
    The more you look the more the conversion work jumps out in the pictures.

lespaulfreak93 likes this.
  15. Fletch

Fletch V.I.P. Member

Nice work but I would have stayed with this as a three pickup custom and just shimmed the board up and painted it black. Despite the top this would have bought the most money as a refinished black LPC. I bet there are other maple top LPCs out there yet unknown, just like the mahogany top gold tops in the mid-fifties that were probably LPC bodies. They were just milling wood into guitars. To say this was a Burst in hiding seems kind of silly to me...

But hey it sounds good..

refret and lespaulfreak93 like this.
  16. treyrab

treyrab Senior Member

"Poor guitar" "Ruined it forever"...... As if a weird refinish, Bursted, flamed Custom was as the guitar was intended to be when it left Kalamazoo o_O

freebyrd 69 likes this.
  17. lespaulfreak93

lespaulfreak93 Senior Member

One-offs do happen, you know. It was black originally. A finish change is much less intrusive than an entire reconstruction to make it the mutt it is. How can you know, maybe someone requested a custom like that? It happens.
    Joe Bonamassa blackburst anyone? You would refin that one too?

Blue Blood likes this.
  18. somebodyelseuk

somebodyelseuk Member

Both ends of the story are gorgeous, and I'm sure it's not a consideration for you, but I can't help thinking, 'what have you done to it's value?'
    It was a 'refinished 1960 LP Custom', not worth what it would be in original finish, but still valuable. Now, it's just a 'sunburst' lookalike.

Blue Blood likes this.
  19. moreles

moreles Senior Member

I'd like to add that setting all the hot issues aside for a minute, I want to compliment the OP for the color and depth of the burst on his conversion. The depth in the darks is really attractive, and I like the relationship of the different tones in the burst. I also like the absence of relic-ing. It would be a real mind-warp to take an old guitar, convert it, and then relic the conversion to look as old as the original.

20. treyrab

treyrab Senior Member

No I wouldn't....because Gibson finished it in Black at the Kalamazoo factory. The Custom in question was refinished in Sunburst by Historic Makeovers. Pretty simple there and a big difference. :dude: