1960 Burst Restoration

Discussion in 'Vintage Les Pauls' started by Jumping@shadows, Nov 18, 2018.

1. lespaulfreak93

lespaulfreak93 Senior Member

My problem here is with him calling it a 1960 Burst, including on his official instagram.

It's not. It never was and never will be.
    He's not very straightforward with what it is, though.
    It's a custom, no matter how much he wants it not to be.
    Now tell me what kind of sane person buys an original Custom despite the fact that he dislikes customs

And it is in no way a restoration. It is a forgery if he calls it a '60 burst or a conversion at best.

Waste of a beautiful, unique guitar, either way.

"(...)to bring it back to full ‘60 Standard spec by going back to bare wood and methodically correcting the Custom appointments(...)"

Again, pointing out - a very obvious attempt at trying to push the thought that this is somehow a restoration on us.
    Correcting? How can you correct the proper, original specs?

Poor guitar. Someone would have loved it the way it was, instead it went to someone who ruined it forever and made it "one of the many" who are neither what they are claimed to be nor what they were originally. Mutts.

2. Uncle Vinnie

Uncle Vinnie Premium Member

Ironic and absolutely irrefutable. Prost! :beer:

3. PierM

PierM Certified Naysayer Premium Member

That's because some of the guys here are convinced this was originally intended to left the factory as a burst, but then has been used to build a LPC.

Doesn't make any sense to me, but we are not the vintage experts here....:hmm::dunno:

(PS; fretboard is from an SG)

4. Dilemma

Dilemma Loud Pipes Ruin Naps Premium Member

Man alive. Some of you people are acting like the OP walked into the Louvre, took the Mona Lisa down off it's nail and painted a mustache on her.
    :p

jaycoyoyo, steveb63, jimh and 9 others like this.
  5. BKS

BKS Senior Member

scott 351 wins likes this.
  6. charlie chitlins

charlie chitlins Senior Member

Well...the converted guitar was equally rare. 1 of 1.
    All things being equal, I'd take a one off 60 LPC over a painting.

7. Blue Blood

Blue Blood Senior Member

To think of something so potentially rare, (is there any documentation of a maple-capped Custom b4 '68?) maybe one-off even...to be turned into something it never was, very sad really.

8. jcm800

jcm800 Member

Amazing skills :cheers:..... but if you wanted it to sound like a regular les paul, why didn't you just disconnect the middle pickup. It's neither fish nor fowl now.

Blue Blood and lespaulfreak93 like this.
  9. mrdannyboy

mrdannyboy Senior Member

Un
    Be
    Leeve
    Able

I’ll congrats great job

Jewel the Sapphire likes this.
  10. Jewel the Sapphire

Jewel the Sapphire Senior Member

Write in your will that one stays with you right now! Thats a bond stronger than marriage... till death do we part-- I think NOT!!

:cheers2:

Last edited: Nov 27, 2018
  11. Mr Insane

Mr Insane Senior Member

Wow! Great work!
    Edit:I think the finished result is pretty cool and some comments here are quite disrespectful.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2018
  12. rockstar232007

rockstar232007 Senior Member

How is disagreeing, or giving one's opinion being "disrespectful"?

Just because we don't all agree on the end-result, doesn't mean that we don't appreaciate the skill it took to get there.

13. PierM

Nobody here said bad things about the "wood/refinish" side of the job. You can only state the obvious about that aspect, so wowing on that isn't adding anything to the discussion.

People here it's just having different opinions about the task "ethics" (demolish a rare vintage guitar to build something else), which is everything but disrespectful.

14. rogue3

rogue3 Senior Member

I wonder what the monetary value of such an instrument would be before,as compared to after the modification work done.

There are experts here,but even to my limited knowledge,it has to be a loss?:hmm:.

PermissionToLand and northernguy like this.
  15. RAG7890

RAG7890 Premium Member

16. Blue Blood

Blue Blood Senior Member

Lmao

17. nuance97

nuance97 Premium Member

Some of you guys are absolutely ridiculous...

Last edited: Nov 28, 2018
    freebyrd 69 and Greco like this.
  18. Jumping@shadows

Jumping@shadows V.I.P. Member

Wow, thread’s got legs!

I’ve stayed out of this as I’m neither going to convince the naysayers, nor really sought the approval of those who dig the process/results, but I will say despite this guitar going through two of the most established vintage dealers/restoration experts in the business both of whom identified it as a factory maple capped LPC, no one on earth knows it better than I, and I’m fully qualified to identify it as what it is, no matter how impassioned long distance critics may be.

As for the ‘moral’ outrage- as has been stated by various contributors- this was for sale all over the net and at major guitar shows for months, completely ignored, steadily falling in price until the owner offered it to me as a husk as in his own words he was ‘done with it’.

Long and the short is, it was a curious oddity who’s structural quirk was never meant to be known or celebrated, amateurishly, poorly and permanently modified to the point it was completely unattractive to play (perhaps that’s why it didn’t sell at the shows, and was returned by the buyer before me..), then aesthetically improved without the fundamental neck/playability issues addressed, and which everyone screaming murder here had endless one click chances to buy and cherish, but absolutely nobody wanted..

Now it’s perhaps the best sounding and playing Les Paul I’ve ever had, and having spent years around original Bursts and PAF Les Pauls day in day out, it’s 100% there tonally, and if you step away from the outrage, I think most would agree..

JeffH66, DrSte31n, bungle and 27 others like this.
  19. PierM

Sounds great, that's for sure.

RAG7890 likes this.
  20. NINFNM

NINFNM Senior Member

But which were those playability issues? A thinner neck? That's only a matter of taste, and this conversion was made for reselling it, I think.
    Same for the middle pickup.
    Good luck with the trade, but despite the poor love she got on previous auctions, I still find hard to believe that this has now been improved