1960 Burst Restoration

Discussion in 'Vintage Les Pauls' started by Jumping@shadows, Nov 18, 2018.

1. NINFNM

NINFNM Senior Member

Maybe someday this guitar will be really restored to it's original state, thought some of the mods are sadly irreversible.
    Exceptional woodwork, but such an unfortunate idea. The fretboard thickness is weird, but even more weird are the top edges, the laquer will make the trick more evident overtime, and pray for no armwear..

Last edited: Nov 21, 2018
    Haprom, John Farr and Blue Blood like this.
  2. EpiLP1985

EpiLP1985 Senior Member

If it plays well (which he has indicated it does - before and after) and he likes it, it doesn’t matter what anyone else thinks.

Everything else is pointless chatter.

nemesis0710, pinefd and whatshisname like this.
  3. Oleynior

Oleynior Senior Member

Man... I'm sorry, but what the hell did you just do?

With all respect and appreciation for your luthier skills: this conversion is a terrible idea. One-of-a-kind LP Custom has now become a second-best substitute for 'fifties burst LP with a lot of modifications. Not everything has to be fifties LP Standard...

4. EpiLP1985

EpiLP1985 Senior Member

Except if you are the owner and that's what you want and have the skills to pull it off.

nemesis0710 likes this.
  5. NINFNM

NINFNM Senior Member

Everybody gets your point, no one plans to sue him in the vintage's court, but this is a forum and people give an opinion on that work, as pointful as each reader may consider for himself, we are here for the entertainment, and I thank
    the OP for the detailed report, it was entertaining.

Sadly, possibly the only mapple top vintage custom ever made has been converted to a multi pieced fake standard

Last edited: Nov 21, 2018
  6. refret

refret Junior Member

An interesting technical exercise that should have remained in the theoretical realm.

The instagram photo of the headstock looks very unconvincing.

We COULD clone Carrot Top, but SHOULD we?

DMartini and John Farr like this.
  7. PermissionToLand

PermissionToLand Senior Member

I could just as well dismiss your opinion as pointless chatter. What a weak defense. Thanks for contributing nothing to the discussion except insults.

John Farr and PierM like this.
  8. PierM

PierM Certified Naysayer Premium Member

I'm sure the poster has a thick skin to manage any kind of opinion, probably much more than some commentators here, and I'm sure he was expecting this (since he's receiving same comments in the other places where he's posting the story).

Said that, I keep drooling and feeling sad, looking at this. I've a weak spot for customs, but this was really totally perfection, I would have probably invested some money one something so beautiful (and probably a tone monster in this config). Also wondering where this gorgeous original 1960 slab of ebony is now...

[​IMG]

9. Dica

Dica Senior Member

This is such cool work. Im addicted to your Instagram and demand more info and pictures.
    Also thanks to you this is now a playable guitar with the neck fix done!

My hats of! And an awesome job.

Now we need to hear the tone!

10. BKS

BKS Senior Member

The removal of the ebony was a little painfull. I love ebony fretboards. And I would never had done it i did love how it was before ( love 3 humbucker guitars).
    But the guitar is not mine ( darn) and the work done is amazing. I would not have done it even if i could (i wish) but than I love originalitty. I respect that people think and do different. Not thinking of what it was it is an amazing job in my eyes.
    I guess it took some guts and thinking over before he started this. Respect for that.

PierM likes this.
  11. EpiLP1985

EpiLP1985 Senior Member

Yes. This thrilling bitchfest will never be the same after I pointed out that the owner is happy with the results and no one else’s opinion matters.

All apologies.

elephantrider likes this.
  12. Greco

Greco Senior Member

- Original 50's burst spec body & neck.
    - Nobody really likes those middle pickups
    - Brazilian fretboard
    - Proper sized neck
    - Minor cosmetic upgrades
    - Exceptional workmanship & finish

Sweet! I don't see the problem here.

13. jktxs

jktxs Senior Member

Sad at the end result (bourbon burst R8) but it's OP's guitar after all. Great job on the conversion and thanks for the pics.

This
    The headstock logo looks too clean cut like a vector image.
    The originals have a sloppy charm imo.

Haprom, Blue Blood and PierM like this.
  14. Blue Blood

Blue Blood Senior Member

Agreed 100%
    3 pickup customs are awesome, middle position is great IMO/use and absolutely sound good.
    This was a killer Custom...

Haprom, BKS and PierM like this.
  15. CaptainT

CaptainT Senior Member

You could have the same result without destroying an original LPC by buying from a luthier or getting a 2018 brazilian reissue, do a HM or whatever. But it´s the owner´s decision to do what he did and he did it very well.

He was the proud owner of a great almost original 1960s LPC. Now he is the owner of a 1960s LPC conversion. But it is neither a restoration, nor is it a burst.

Btw...Peter Frampton loves middle pickups:)

northernguy likes this.
  16. RAG7890

RAG7890 Premium Member

I think a lot of you guys don’t understand that this is Yuuki’s business.

He chases down potential conversion candidates, does the work & sells them or does the work on behalf of owners & charges an appropriate fee.

The point is, you guys have created a market & a demand for Conversions and because of that people like Yuuki will fill that demand. He’s not the only one either.

Now I’m not actually referring to members here in this Thread, I’m talking about in general.

When there is a demand, there is an opportunity to make money.

Me, I like Replicas & I also prefer restorations but everyone is different. I thought about doing a Conversion but it’s not me.

I also like Black Customs & I also know that there are a lot of crappy Vintage Guitars around.

Hey they’re not all good just because they are Vintage.

So many good stories to write about but I don’t feel the need to justify my own interests.

So anyway, if you like the work great. If you don’t maybe don’t pay any attention & move along.

My 2c FWIW.

:cheers2:

17. PierM

PierM Certified Naysayer Premium Member

I wouldn't pay more than a reissue for that guitar honestly. I personally can't perceive any appeal on a guitar with so many patches and stitches, which is basically neither a Custom, neither a burst, neither a replica, neither a restoration....but yeah, you are right. ;) (I'm curious to know if now has more market value than its original status..)

18. CaptainT

CaptainT Senior Member

I actually like his work and think he has done a great job. But I think it isn´t correct to call it a "burst restoration", it is a "LPC to burst conversion", no matter how well it is executed.

However, it´s his right to do with the guitar whatever he wants to. And I don´t have to like it. And if there are people buying it, well, why not.

I just don´t like the name of the thread.

This guitar isn´t a burst and it will never be a burst.

northernguy and RAG7890 like this.
  19. BKS

BKS Senior Member

I love middle pickups. Have two:jb:

Blue Blood and RAG7890 like this.
  20. RAG7890

RAG7890 Premium Member

Middle PU’s are fine in actual fact. All you need to do is to drop the middle PU a little if it interferes with your picking / playing IMHO.

:cheers2:

DMartini likes this.