1960 Burst Restoration

Discussion in 'Vintage Les Pauls' started by Jumping@shadows, Nov 18, 2018.

1. Redfish

Redfish Senior Member

I love it. Your work is amazing. I liked it as a custom but the thin 60 neck alone justifies the changes you made for me. I've always heard you cant make a neck chunkier but you did it. Genius.

Jumping@shadows likes this.
  2. Chakalawaka

Chakalawaka Senior Member

Hey! You're "Player Grade Vintage" on instagram aren't you?
    Really good stuff you got going on there, if you ever need professional photography,
    I'm based outside of London and can help, check out my photos on my profile :)

3. Rock City

Rock City Senior Member

At the same time I cry over that original Custom and cheer over your brave and hard work

4. Uncle Vinnie

Uncle Vinnie Premium Member

SU - PERB!!

Your skills are exceptional.

I'm intrigued with the 2mm fillet between the neck and the fretboard. Is that something that can be done on any guitar to chunk up the neck, or only to bring a neck back into spec without throwing nut/fret height out of whack?

5. dc007

dc007 Senior Member

Amazing work......enjoy that fine looking axe!!

6. gball

gball Senior Member

My sentiments exactly. Good work wasted on a forgery is still wasted work.

7. MikeyV

MikeyV Senior Member

While I admire your woodworking/finishing skills, I can't figure out why anyone would think this was a good idea?

"Hey, I have a very unique, original (but with restored finish) extremely rare Les Paul custom from the most desired era of Les Paulery!"

"I know, let's irreversibly hack it all apart and make it look like an R8."

SMH.

Hey, at least you saved the headplate, in case anyone ever wants to put it back on.

Oh wait, headstock was reshaped.

Sorry to be a dick, but this is crazy/irresponsible.

yamariv, northernguy, geddy and 9 others like this.
  8. lespaulfreak93

lespaulfreak93 Senior Member

I can't wait to see the day that people start converting ES's or even better, acoustics into bursts. "Hey, 1/3 of the headstock is from an original circa 50's Gibson, +/- 20 years! It's almost like the real deal All I had to do was re-build the body completely from scratch, re-do the neck, make a new fretboard from scratch using wood I chopped off of a '57 - I mean who wants a 57!?, re-do the hardware, re-do the electronics and sacrifice 4 other nice vintage guitars on the way!"

Besides, the destruction is visible. The outline where the binding used to be is clearly visible. And cutting a huge, even bigger hole into it.... ughhh.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2018
    Haprom and rockstar232007 like this.
  9. spoony

spoony Silver Supporter

J@s,

Nice woodworking skills aand thanks for taking us through the procedure.

I do have a few questions.

1. It's unclear to me. In its original configuration was this a three pickup guitar? Maybe that answer is someplace in another thread.
    2. Would you mind linking previous discussions?
    3. What made you decide to go this route? No judgement here as I am sure you thought long and hard about the decision to transform the guitar and had some logical reasons that we might not have any idea about for doing so.

Thank for sharing your work and thoughts,

s

Last edited: Nov 20, 2018
  10. AJK1

AJK1 Senior Member

Totally agree, i think it's been ruined, it was quite unique before, but now...

Haprom, PierM and lunchbox like this.
  11. AJK1

AJK1 Senior Member

Agreed

Haprom and rockstar232007 like this.
  12. Chicago John

Chicago John Senior Member

Really amazing craftsmanship! The final product looks great. You can barely detect the seam of the new block of maple covering the middle pickup position. As for "destroying" a Custom, firstly, it's already a refin, so it's not original anyway, and even if it is, if it gives you joy to alter a guitar, even an original '59, good for you! They're just guitars.

nemesis0710 likes this.
  13. pinefd

pinefd V.I.P. Member Premium Member V.I.P. Member

I think the answer to your question #3 is right here (from one of Yuuki's posts at the beginning of this thread):

Frank

CRobbins likes this.
  14. moreles

moreles Senior Member

Obviously, you can do what you want, and that's a beautiful result (though the coloration does not look '60 to me, at least in the lic) but I have no idea why you call it a restoration since you made major changes to what was the original guitar. It's not a restoration -- it's a reconfiguration. A 3 PU LP, and an ebony-boarded Custom are features that may be minority tastes -- though I like both -- but they are in their own way absolutely legit and standard. It's fine that you changed them to your preference, but I wouldn't frame those changes as somehow correcting and restoring the guitar. But in any case, it's a nice score and a beauty.

Haprom likes this.
  15. lunchbox

lunchbox Senior Member

So you took a unique guitar and made it not unique? I don’t get it.

16. AussieDave

AussieDave Senior Member

From what I read at the beginning of this post it was a 60 burst factory finished as a custom. So that there is my question to Yuuki. Was it a burst that someone sent back to Gibson to be made into a custom? If so I understand the objective of the reconstruction kind of. I mean it’s sad that someone stripped the custom of all the fittings probably to resell the bits to give you the husk in the first place.

You did a great job from a woodworking perspective but if the custom had been repainted black well it might be refinished ,but it would still be a factory custom from 1960! How cool is that and it would have a certain monetary value as well. So all of that destroyed in a way to make a copy burst. I’m a bit confused as this is a unique situation. I just don’t know if I would have followed the same path.

Haprom likes this.
  17. John Farr

John Farr Junior Member

It is a shame that an original 1960 Les Paul custom is lost but the owner has the right to do as He wishes. My problem is that although the binding infill has been done well, it is still very visible and will become more visible as time passes. The thickness of the fingerboard is way too deep and looks very odd, I certainly couldn't live with that.

Haprom likes this.
  18. dCi_king

dCi_king Senior Member

Wow!. Awesone trasnformation!. Congrats.

19. EpiLP1985

EpiLP1985 Senior Member

Devil's Advocate: Isn't every Historic Makeovers modded Historic LP in this category?

@Jumping@shadows I say excellent work. You took a guitar that while obviously well loved, had some modifications that made it less than stellar aesthetically and revived it into a personal instrument that anyone, regardless of what the grandstanding and armchair pontificating here and the LPF might indicate, would be ecstatic to have in their possession.

Keep doing what your doing and posting it on IG! Your account, Joe B.'s, and Greg Koch's are, as always, keeping me from deleting IG altogether.

Jumping@shadows and pinefd like this.
  20. MikeyV

MikeyV Senior Member

>>>>>Devil's Advocate: Isn't every Historic Makeovers modded Historic LP in this category?

Not even close, nice try.

Haprom likes this.