1959 Gibson Les Paul Standard "Burst" 9 0919 Eye candy!

Discussion in 'Vintage Les Pauls' started by eric ernest, Aug 29, 2009.

1. eric ernest

eric ernest V.I.P. Member

After many years of behind the scenes wrangling, I finally convinced another forum member....and long time friend....to "go public" with his Burst. Hopefully I'll shoot some better photos in the not too distant future.

Guitar is just the most breathtaking butterscotch color you ever saw!!!!

It's also one of your planet's best sounding Les Pauls, too.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    1959 Gibson Les Paul Standard "Burst" 9 0919

Close up details.
    [​IMG]

Here's a shot from 1988/1989!!!!!
    [​IMG]

I dug through the archives and found this photo from 1989!!!!! Yikes!
    [​IMG]

2. Mike60

Mike60 V.I.P. Member

saw it on the LPF...killer axe!...

Kris Ford likes this.
  3. generalwar

generalwar Senior Member

that is sick!!!!!!!!!

4. billy

billy Senior Member

amazing!!!!

5. mrpesca

mrpesca Senior Member

I need to find a group of friends like Erics.

6. BOBBO

BOBBO Banned

That has to be one of the most beautiful things I've ever seen !!! Thank you for sharing those pictures with us !!! :applause: :applause: :applause:

7. Lousyatit

Lousyatit Senior Member

I usually refer to it as "the toilet seat".

rykus and Sharky like this.
  8. pinefd

pinefd V.I.P. Member V.I.P. Member

Wow, that thing is gorgeous! Thanks for sharing!

Frank

9. needlespauls

needlespauls V.I.P. Member

Jackpot!!! gorgeous!!!

10. cme2n

cme2n Senior Member

i just found my next desktop wallpaper...awesome axe man....absolutely awesome...

11. Lousyatit

Lousyatit Senior Member

Thanks y'all. The way it looks isn't the best part, it's the way it plays.

RAG7890 and Sharky like this.
  12. diceman

diceman V.I.P. Member

Yowza! Thanks!

13. lpcustom69

lpcustom69 Premium Member

Awesome axe man. Thanks for sharing.

14. joebonsai

joebonsai Senior Member

Hallelujah, hallelujah
    thank you very very much for showing us that beauty!!!:wow::wow::wow::wow::wow::wow::wow:

:hippie:

15. single cut 54

single cut 54 V.I.P. Member

Hey Lousyatit, this is one Very Special guitar,thanks you for giving us the chance to see it.
    Terry

rykus and RAG7890 like this.
  16. Cookie-boy

Cookie-boy Senior Member

Beautiful! A work of art!

RAG7890 likes this.
  17. stinger

stinger Senior Member

Awesome burst! Thanks for sharing!

18. Flight595

Flight595 Senior Member

Wow!!

Looks awsome!

Regards

19. banditguitarist1

banditguitarist1 Senior Member

beautiful les paul! Great to see players with bursts and not just the vaults!

Nice 80's shot fun to see the players behind the bursts to haha

20. Lousyatit

Lousyatit Senior Member

I would like to thank Eric for his photography and for posting the photos. That's Eric holding my guitar. That was taken on a friends front porch in lovely downtown Columbia, S.C. We were both younger then, weren't we Eric?
    I know how we all love guitar stories, so here's the story on this one. I have two very dear friends that are brothers. They reside in the Greenville,S.C. area. Joe is a drummer and Pete plays bass and they are a monster rhythm section. They both know enough about guitars to be dangerous. Sometime in 1983, spring I think, I get this telephone call from Joe asking me about a guitar. He was in an outside sales job and would also hit pawn shops and such, looking for goodies. Well he had checked one of his favorite spots, a pawn shop in Anderson, S.C. that was owned by some old boy that Joe liked. Joe had stopped in to bs with the owner and after killing some time he asked him if he had anything good in the back. The owner replied that he didn't think so, but he did have one that just came off pawn that Joe might like. He goes in the back and when he returns he's carrying an old beat up brown case. He puts it on the counter and opens the case. Joe looks it over and plinks on it for a minute. The pawn broker asks Joe if he knows how old it is. Joe's honest reply is that he doesn't know. What he doesn't disclose is what he suspects. In any event, the owner asks Joe if he likes it. Joe says yes and asks the old fella what he wants for it. The owner looks it up in the pawn book and asks Joe..." How about $400.00? ". Joe agrees and heads off to the bank to get the money. He cuts his brother in for $200.00, goes back and buys the guitar. He then heads home and calls me. He gives me the background and then he tells me that he suspects that the guitar is actually a late 50's Sunburst Les Paul. So I ask him to describe the case and he says "...brown with a pink lining ...". Then I ask if it has soap bars, and he replies that it has humbuckers and my blood pressure starts to rise. So then I ask him to flip it over and look at the serial number. I ask him to tell me if the number is pressed into the wood. He says, " No, it's stamped in ink." (By this point I'm about to have a fit.) My next question is, how many digits? " Five." I asked if there was a space anywhere in the number. "Yes between the first and second digits." I blurted out, " READ ME THE FUCKING NUMBER!" "9 0919" is the reply. Well I started yelling into the phone, " YOU SON OF A BITCH, IT'S A '59." Well, here is where it gets surreal. Joe tells me that he has discussed it with Pete and that they want me to have (buy) the guitar. I told him that I was on the way. I was at my parents house, so I told my Mom where I was going. I went and picked up my girlfriend and drove four hours to Greenville. When we arrived, Joe and his wife were about to have dinner. She told us that we were just in time and asked us to join them. I replied that I would, but I JUST HAD TO SEE THIS GUITAR FIRST. I will never forget walking into the room and seeing the case laying on it's back on the floor and kneeling down to open the case and seeing it for the first time. I just kept repeating, it's real, over and over. They sold it to me for $800.00 and let me take it with the promise that I would send a cashiers check to settle the debt. I still have a copy of that check in the case.
    Here are the specs, the guitar weighs 8lbs,15ozs. The neck reads 8.6K and the bridge reads 8.06K. It's a really great piece, so easy to play. The sound has a very vocal, almost human quality to it. It's been a real pleasure to have around.