1958 Les Paul Sunburst

Discussion in 'Vintage Les Pauls' started by alphamusicwv, Sep 6, 2011.

1. MiniB

MiniB Senior Member

Welcome back! Great guitar!

2. Sharky

Sharky Senior Member

see, that's what I mean, completely different guitar which just got pulled into this raging thread over there. I still believe the story, still believe it's legit. And what a wonderful example it is.

I'm sure that TW will always be of great help without having a possible deal in his mind. He is too much of a Burst lover to become overwhelmed by greed. I don't know him in person, but I'm sure he is the nicest guy you can think of

5 people like this.
  3. Gunslinger

Gunslinger Senior Member

I like this thread, it refuses to die and I always come back for a quick catch up. I do wish you a happy ending. :thumb:

One thing I wondered, with all the burst experts you have been talking to, have any of them offered any advice on how you can reduce/stop the chances of your 58' red dye fading?

The reason I ask is as it is such a unique selling point of your particular guitar you wouldn't want this to start happening. I guess it is a simple as keeping it in the case as often as possible and out of direct sunlight but I don't know? :dunno:

Perhaps an important point to note though.

4. tag2

tag2 Senior Member

Even fluorescent lights can cause fading. I would think there would be a wax that helps block UV, but it is best left in a case unless it is being played. This is not a guitar to leave hanging on a stand. It should hold its color with a little care.

1 person likes this.
  5. Sharky

Sharky Senior Member

I would surely try to find something like a wax with a high UVP to keep this beautiful and glossy candy apple just like it is.

No knowledge, just an impression, when the red has not faded yet, it's more stable than it was when applied back then. But please don't try to prove me wrong with this special guitar

6. The Greek

The Greek Senior Member

Did you try to get in touch with Dirk Ziff?Now talking directy with him would probably be next to impossible,but you can try getting in touch with Perry Margouleff.

7. Joshabr1

Joshabr1 Senior Member

I can't believe Joe or Tom or one of those guys hasn't snatched this. The amount of burst in that condition has to be small. Amazing example. I had a 37 rb 75 mastertone banjo that was like that just mint. They r rare. Is it that is not a 59? I know I wouldn't care but those guys seem to like those just a little better. I love a story like this. You have to think most of the burst that r unaccounted for are in the hands of people that has not a clue of what they Have. Or they would be accounted for. Right? There layin out there in those pretty cases people walkin right by a quarter of a million dollars without a clue.

8. Jimmi

Jimmi Senior Member

If I had I relative die and I was left this from his estate, would I sell it?:hmm:

9. hoss

hoss Senior Member

What's the price, again?

10. Joshabr1

Joshabr1 Senior Member

I don't have the slightest. Would think a premium on the condition though for sure. When u have something as special as that it can be a great tool to go places meet people you normally would never meet you know your in the crowd w that. That's cool itself. Who wouldn't want to see that guitar in person? I do believe that the condition puts it in a different league than most just because the number of examples like that is so small.

3 people like this.
  11. hoss

hoss Senior Member

Me, too, thought it was posted somewhere.

I usually never post price estimates on the forums, but in this case...
    Uncirculated but no provenance, great color and condition, not a lot of figure, private seller/no famous store...
    $175K?

But what do I know?!

12. yeti

yeti Senior Member

Eric said that provenance is a list of owner names. This has such a list, a very short one.:D

3 people like this.
  13. RAG7890

RAG7890 Premium Member

Anyone who wants to know the price should send the owner a PM but only if you want to buy. :)

Not for us to speculate on the price of a Burst that has little or no reference points.

My 2c FWIW.

:cheers:

3 people like this.
  14. Joshabr1

Joshabr1 Senior Member

That's very true. Really nobody's business unless the op wants it to be or ur interested in actually buying Anyways awesome guitar and I'm glad he was kind enough to show it. Truly rare condition guitar.

1 person likes this.
  15. rinoatl

rinoatl Senior Member

Best advice so far. No brainer really.

16. rinoatl

rinoatl Senior Member

17. ToneasaurusRex

ToneasaurusRex Senior Member

Still here, still breathless, still waiting to hit the lottery . . .

18. hoss

hoss Senior Member

Correct, Rudi. That's why I usually don't speculate, see post above. Made an exception in this case and am regretting it now, I think.

At least, publicly speculated values might help an unexperienced seller to find a reasonably price. Maybe 175K is a little on the low side, but maybe the seller was thinking less and can gain from my estimation.
    Since the guitar hasn't sold in the past the seller might have asked way too much. Minty at Fretted American is priced too high and doesn't sell, and this is a well known dealer.
    I hope 1958burstt can gain something from discussions like this one.

19. tag2

tag2 Senior Member

I think you are quite low on value. It is mint and unfaded. 100% original and I recall the seller stating he may have the original receipt. The only hit this guitar takes is being a 58 and not a 59. A super flamed '59 in lessor condition would hold its own against this guitar. I prefer the look of this top though. Very nice!

4 people like this.
  20. pinefd

pinefd V.I.P. Member V.I.P. Member

Actually, I really couldn't see either of these guys going after this one. Joe, although he has some killer 'bursts, seems to be more of a player than collector. This guitar is probably too pristine for him to consider taking it on the road with him. It's almost too nice to play! Heck, I've gotten rid of Historics, worth probably 1/50th of what this guitar is worth, because they were too nice to play! Perhaps Joe might chime in if I'm off base here.

And I don't see Tom (Wittrock) picking this one up either. He's had many of his for a long time, and probably acquired most of them at a decent price compared to what they would fetch now. I don't see him spending all the money for one right now. And Tom is also a player...and a good one, at that, so he may have some of the same reservations that Joe might have.

This one will likely end up with someone who can afford, and has the desire to keep this one as pristine, collectors piece only.

Frank

6 people like this.