1956 Gold Top - parts you would recommend upgrading?

Discussion in 'Epiphone Les Pauls' started by Babaluma1, Aug 9, 2017.

1. Babaluma1

Babaluma1 Junior Member

I used to own a Epiphone 56 Gold Top years and years ago. I loved it but ended up selling it to fund a Gibson. I have always wanted to get another one as I lack some p90s in my guitar army. It was so long since I played one so I don't know if it will be as good as I remember but I plan to do some upgrades anyhow.

I wanted to see what any owners on here would recommend as far as upgrades they may have done, or are planning to do, on their Gold Tops? I am just interested to see what PUs, tuners, bridges, wiring etc others may upgraded to from the stock parts. Or even if you like it as it is and have not touched it!

I really love the sound of Freddie King and Hubert Sumlin (hence my buying a GT P90 in the first place) so I will probably have a look at some 50s wiring and PUs, possibly some Toneriders.

(PS on a side note does anyone know when Epiphone stopped using the greenish plastic vintage style tuners and replaced with the fully metal ones?)

Cheers!

2. djw171

djw171 Senior Member

Epiphone re-released the P90 '1956 Gold Top' Les Paul around 2014. it had the P90 Pro pickups. Very good actually. Had the Locktone tailpiece and bridge and the 18:1 Kluson type tuners. Which worked just fine and look more authentic imo. Was available in Blue and Black also. Was slated a limited edition, but we all know what that means. These are Chinese made.

I believe the previous version was Korean. These had Grover tuners.

So if you do find one, I would recommend play it a while, you maybe happy with it stock.

3. sasquatch

sasquatch Senior Member

If you Really want a Gold Top...
    https://www.americanmusical.com/Item--i-GIB-LPTR9017-SGNH3
    Look at this before you ready yourself for upgrades.
    This could be the solution. Maybe try to locate one to play first if you can
    but I wouldn't hesitate as these are pretty much loved by those who own them
    and the sale price is nice too.
    AMS and zZounds have always shipped me a great guitar. Never a problem.

4. Babaluma1

Babaluma1 Junior Member

Thanks for the info, actually one of the ones I was looking at (second hand) was this model so interesting to hear your thoughts on this. Maybe a nice upgrade as my previous one was a 2000 model made in Korea.

5. Babaluma1

Babaluma1 Junior Member

This is very nice, however it is just a bit too much money for me at present. Also while I do like Goldtops this guitar would be more of a second guitar to jam with at home so I can't really justify that extra money. I would be looking second hand for the Epiphone so I think I can get one for around £250 here in the UK.

6. Babaluma1

Babaluma1 Junior Member

I am looking for a nice reasonably priced Gold Top Les Paul. I have narrowed my search down to these two models which I have seen second hand for around the same price. I just can't decide so I wanted some thoughts from the experts. I am going to try and play them both of course, however I am very so if there is a consensus that one is far superior then it may save me a visit;)

The Epiphone is one of the 2014 limited edition versions which are meant to a step up from Epi's previous Gold Tops as far as pickups go. I used to own a 2000 model years ago and loved it. This is £300.

The Burny gets good reviews and on a purely aesthetic level I prefer the headstock shape. This is a recent model I think. This has been upgraded to CTS pots + orange drops and Tonerider pickups. This is £400.

They both seem very similar with thick 50s necks. I am not sure if they are both solid wood or chambered, anyone know? A few people will recommend "real" Gibson Les Paul but honestly I am on a tight budget here so an extra £200-£400 is out of the question. So Burny vs Epiphone, what do you think?

Here are the models I am considering.
    http://www.epiphone.com/Products/Les-Paul/1956-Les-Paul-Standard-PRO.aspx

Mod edit:
    link to other forum removed !
    Please re-read the rules, especially #15

http://www.mylespaul.com/threads/the-mylespaul-rules-please-read.1315/

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 10, 2017
  7. paruwi

paruwi Kraut-Rocker Super Mod Premium Member

I think Epi wins, 'cause you've posted this in the Epiphone section....

Babaluma1 likes this.
  8. Fuelish

Fuelish Senior Member

I don't have a goldtop specifically, but I'd do what I do with all my guitars......play 'em into the ground and upgrade when something stops working properly.....unless, of course, it's something you can't live with - like the factory knobs that came on my Std +top, only thing I've swapped out on my LP, and have had it for, 11 years or so? ;)Affordable guitars are so much better than they were when I was learning to play in the '60's/'70's