1955 Les Paul Junior Single Cut Build

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by shickma0, Sep 13, 2017.

1. shickma0

shickma0 Junior Member

Hi guys, it’s me again. I’m still pretty new to this so pardon the mistakes. A while back I posted about wanting to make a replica of a 1954-1956 era junior SC in a 2 tone sunburst. So I’ve gone ahead a purchased my supplies and am waiting for them in the mail. This will be the build thread for anyone interested as I personally have seen very few builds of SCs in a sunburst finished and figured some people might find this thread useful. Additionally before I delve any deeper I would like to note that I have A) never made much more than a bolt on guitar or a parts caster and B) I’m only 15 so don’t have a whole lot of time between working and school so things may not go super fast but I’ll definitely update this thread at least once a week.
    ============
    So to begin:
    Here’s a components list of (hopefully) everything I’ll be using during this project, my supplier and the cost in USD

Body and Neck, Precision Guitar Kits $387.99 shipped (To Indiana)

Fretboard Markers (I plan on replacing the pearloid ones to be more period correct), Cellulose Nitrate Dot Inlays, Historic Makeovers $26.15 shipped

Bridge, Gibson Kluson Lightweight Aluminum Stopbar Nickel Tailpice, Reverb (KWRAPAL-N) $48.00 shipped

Tuners, Kluson Traditional 3x3 Tuners Vintage Nickel Pearl (WD90NPP) $41.99 shipped

Pickguard, Bakelite 1 Ply Les Paul Junior Single Cut Pickguard, Precision Guitar Kits $29.99 shipped

Screws, #3 x 3/8” Phillips Head Pickguard Screws for Gibson (20) - Nickel (GS-0050-001), ALLPARTS $6.29 shipped

Truss Rod Cover, Gibson Bell Style Truss Rod Cover, Gibson $12.09 shipped

Pickup, [this I’m undecided on and therefore haven’t purchased and largely depends on the final cost and how much I’m willing to spend. I’ll likely go with a Seymour Duncan Antiquity.]

Paint, [I already have purchased a spray gun setup for a previous guitar project and will hopefully use it for the painting and finishing. If not then I’ll be using reranch nitro]

Electronics, Emerson Custom Prewired Harness, Emerson Custom $74.00 shipped
    Total Cost: $674.50 give or take
    ===========
    That concludes my first post of the thread, sorry for it being so lengthy but these were things that I personally looked for but couldn’t find when I was planning so figured they might be of use to someone. I’ll post another update once the body and neck arrive hopefully sometime next week as shipping time is around 7 days. Thanks for reading. -S

2. ARandall

ARandall Senior Member

As to the pickup......I'd go something from Tysontone before I'd go Antiquity. My Jr is loaded with one of his and I couldn't imagine something more fitting.

As to the harness.....thats a lot of $$$ for a 1 pickup kit. Is that with the jack too??

3. shickma0

shickma0 Junior Member

yea that harness has everything, both pots a bumblebee cap and a jack all pre soldered. You just have to attach your pickup leads.

4. deadlyweasel

deadlyweasel Silver Supporter

You will not be disappointed by your PGK jr, I've built two of them and they are awesome. One thing I would like to point out, PGK jrs do not come with a veneer on the headstock so using a gibson style TR cover may not work for you. For what its worth I have Duncan antiquities in both my kit jrs and,they sound great, I'm putting a Tyson tone in my 59' special I am rebuilding and it also sounds great. Good luck with your build, have fun and take a lot of pictures!

5. shickma0

shickma0 Junior Member

Thanks for the reply, and yea I noticed that so I planned on adding headstock wings and reshaping to the correct shape then adding a holly veneer to correct that. I might have to give those Tyson tone pickups a look given that they’ve been suggested twice now.

yamariv and deadlyweasel like this.
  6. pshupe

pshupe Senior Member

If you cut the headstock the right width and add ears. You wouldn't have to cover with a veneer because it would be vintage correct.

Cheers Peter.

deadlyweasel likes this.
  7. shickma0

shickma0 Junior Member

Thanks Peter, I wasn’t aware that they didn’t have veneers, I must have overlooked that when I researched. Thanks much!

8. deadlyweasel

Without a veneer you will run into an issue with your TRC. Gibson's use a filler strip and drill through from the TR channel to the headstock face. PKG use a two way TR with a 5MM Allen. DSCF0197.jpg still-shaping-the-lp-headstock-004.jpg

9. shickma0

shickma0 Junior Member

Thanks for the heads up. In the past when doing headstock conversions I usually just add a mahogany spline that is 3mm thick so as not to interfere with the truss rod action and allow the cover to have something to grip. I’ll see if it works this time around too but I’d assume it would.

10. deadlyweasel

The issue with adding a strip is where their TR nut ends.

11. shickma0

shickma0 Junior Member

Oh okay thank. If you had many suggestions it would be much appreciated. If not I can always use an Eli style TR cover i suppose

12. deadlyweasel

Well. You could use an Epi cover, you could veneer the peghead, if you try and just use one screw at the top of a gibby TRC and put a dummy screw head at the bottom....

marksoundguitars likes this.
  13. shickma0

shickma0 Junior Member

Hi guys. The kit and all of the finishing supplies arrived in the mail today. Pictures coming in a few.

14. BADMAN67

BADMAN67 Member

I had a similar problem with my truss rod cover. I just cut the bottom of a gibson tr cover and sanded it so it butted nice against the nut. I was worried it might lift when screwed down but was fine. I was going to glue something on the underside to locate under the nut but thankfully unnecessary. Think this a preferable solution rather than Chinese 3screw cover.

15. pshupe

pshupe Senior Member

Just reviewing your list in your first post again. Why would you replace the dots? That seems to be a very labourious thing to do on this kit build. If you are trying to be vintage correct realize that there are probably a dozen things on that guitar that will be much more noticeable to be non-vintage than the dots. Frankly I would stay away from the vintage stuff for this build as you are just paying extra for no reason. I guess the components that you could just switch out may be of value, but if you are on a budget stick with decent reasonably priced parts and save your money to build your own, or have one built to vintage specs. This is afterall the Luthier's Corner. ;-)

Cheers Peter.

16. mangus

mangus Senior Member

Where are those pics?

17. shickma0

shickma0 Junior Member

Haha yup, this weekend I’ve rebuilt the entire headstock, reradiused the neck and am starting to fix the body roundovee to correct specs. It’s a lot better than the basic kit as far as accuracy but it’s a long shot off of a replica. The pearloid dots to me just don’t look right compared to nitrate so I figured I’d swap them. It’s a fairly easy job so it shouldn’t be that bad. And thanks for the advice on the parts. I’m considering a build but I doubt I have the skills for a scratch build at the point but maybe in the future. Thanks for the response, information from you all on this forum has been invaluable so far

18. shickma0

shickma0 Junior Member

A691E997-7301-4FC7-8DFE-3EB0DBFD9661.jpeg A7AEA84F-65E7-4B5B-843B-0F0C40C3B6C3.jpeg 348AE6D9-3327-4E91-A177-298A4FB9458E.jpeg 0D6431CC-5095-4DA1-B580-3108794EC9DF.jpeg 377E4307-836D-4DF8-9F91-D9641A924BFF.jpeg FFC5F3AB-2E39-4BFF-8B2A-CBC8ED7BC656.jpeg
    Should be up soon, I only had my phone camera this weekend, proper pics should be up soon. Here are some phone pics though of the kit as arrived and one halfway through the headstock rebuild. First impressions though are that the wood selection is above average, not perfect but for the price you get far more than you pay for. The fretwork is impeccable however it is worth noting that the fretboard is notched by the fret ends presumably from the crowning file.

19. mangus

mangus Senior Member

Thank you... Precision really does sell good quality kits... That frework is a thing of beauty compared to the one on the kit I bought.. Quality really does come with a price. Good Luck for your build!

20. pshupe

pshupe Senior Member

Are you serious? :facepalm: $387.99 for a body and neck including shipping. That is why most luthiers are poor. That is ridiculously cheap IMO. No wonder everybody thinks we can build a custom guitar for >$500 then ask if it comes with a Brazilian Rosewood fret board.

I joke with my luthier friends that the only way I can afford to purchase expensive tools to build guitars is NOT build guitars for a living. :naughty:

Cheers Peter.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2017
    shickma0, deadlyweasel and Skyjerk like this.