1954 Les Paul on Reverb... Strange Mix of Features. Experts Chime in!

Discussion in 'Vintage Les Pauls' started by macg1, Apr 19, 2017.

1. macg1

macg1 Senior Member

Hey guys,

Just saw this on reverb https://reverb.com/item/2391305-1954-gibson-les-paul-goldtop

It is listed as a 54, has a 52 tailpiece, all gold (which I think only happened in 52, but I could be wrong) and has a serial number. What say you?

2. asapmaz

asapmaz Senior Member

I'd think that guitar's all straight and as advertised.
    Gary Dick's got a good rep in the industry and I would not suspect any funny business with that guitar.

tonyj likes this.
  3. skydog

skydog Senior Member

I like the way the seller states it is the latest trapeze tailpiece guitar; like that's a badge of honor.

4. macg1

macg1 Senior Member

I wasn't necessarily questioning the veracity of the listing. Just seems like a very unique mix of features.

5. rockstar232007

rockstar232007 Senior Member

$18K seems rather low?

Funny thing is, if you remove the Trapeze, and install a wraptail, it would push the price into the high $30K mark.

:laugh2:

6. Ph03n1x

Ph03n1x Senior Member

But it looks like it is not on an angle like a 54 bridge so it wouldn't look right.

I heard somewhere that the black light trick can be faked with nitro. I think we are getting to the point where it could be possible for someone to make a very passable fake given the amount of info available on the net and tools available. I don't know if I would want to drop over 10k on any guitar but that's just me...

7. judson

judson Senior Member

funny i was looking at that last nite...the seller is not a fly by nite...he has been around

when said the "latest trapeze model" i think they were refering to what you mentioned with the 52/53 were trapeze LP's changed tailpiece and supposed headstock angle in mid 53....and this being a 54 they had not seen one with a 54 date but still has a trap on it, maybe an owner switched back for a weird reason...should be able to tell pretty easy, i would guess seller would mention if he saw signs it had a top wrap tailpiece prior to the trap but doesnt make sense..who knows

if the neck angle was changed for all 54's maybe you would not need a neck reset to do a conversion?

it appears to be original maybe a sweet looking deal and probably the only 50's LP i will ever be able to afford...

my limited knowledge that the trapeze bridge sucked and to do a conversion, you need to reset the neck angle...i dont know how true that really is and why the early models were considered "unplayable" by some...because of the trapeze....i would keep it as is.....you can buy a conversion for about the same or a few bucks higher

i dont think they will be getting any cheaper over the next few years...and you can check out gary's other 584 reverb listings if you think something is hokey..:laugh2:

check this out for general info
    http://reverb.com/news/a-les-paul-from-every-year-1952-1960

8. judson

judson Senior Member

9. RAG7890

RAG7890 Premium Member

FWIW I have seen several all Gold '54 Wraptails.

:cheers2:

10. RAG7890

RAG7890 Premium Member

That price isn't low IMHO.

'54's do not sell in the high 30K mark, not the actual sales anyway. :)

11. rockstar232007

rockstar232007 Senior Member

I know. It was a joke. Hence the ":laugh2:".

:thumb:

12. Jumping@shadows

Jumping@shadows V.I.P. Member

Gary Dick may have been around for a long time, but he is very far from a straight shooter, and I've had some eye watering experiences with him and advise anyone who asks to steer clear fwiw.

13. Cookie-boy

Cookie-boy Senior Member

My one experience buying from him was below satisfactory.

14. ajory72

ajory72 Senior Member

That Gibson logo is quite far to the left, where as the Les Paul logo looks centered really well...[I'm not making any legitimacy inference here, just an observation] Personally I dont like gold-backs so wouldn't be interested.

Hopefully it goes to a good home and remains a Goldtop :)

edit: though I am partial to this nice clean example: https://reverb.com/au/p/gibson-les-paul-goldtop-1954

VictorB likes this.
  15. RAG7890

RAG7890 Premium Member

................well Gary's off my list. :laugh2: :squint:

Jumping@shadows and Cookie-boy like this.
  16. RAG7890

RAG7890 Premium Member

:rofl: :rofl: :thumb: :wave:

17. tonyj

tonyj Senior Member

Too bad that reputations are sullied by anonymous posters.

I bought an excellent vintage '50s LP Junior from this gentleman. Signed, sealed and delivered without a hitch to Western Canada. I have nothing but positive things to say about my dealings with this man for a guitar which crossed a continent and an international border. This was for a high quality guitar which I still own and is one of my all time favourites. I would deal with this individual at any time and without hesitation.

18. Jumping@shadows

You're as anonymous as me or anyone else posting here, and there are multiple reports of buyers with experiences directly in opposition to yours, so don't partronise us. I'm sure Gary would not want the utter train wreck of the $25k deal aired here, nor the fact he immediately relisted the guitar as mint and all original when it was eventually resolved through titanic efforts. Anyone can make a mistake, but he was mind bogglingly evasive and dishonest, and as with all dealers whom take the piss like this, I'll always speak out strongly.

zhivago, RAG7890 and sws1 like this.
  19. tonyj

tonyj Senior Member

Not wishing to have an argument here as one anonymous person disagreeing with another. Just feel that if we wish to deride an individual we shouldn't be doing it from behind a non de plume. 'Nuff said.

I'm sure that whatever transpired with this ad is pretty well as you have outlined. I don't know, and perhaps I don't need to know.

You do come across as angry, so you are perhaps privy to details that I'm not.

Peace brother .... and I'm sorry if my post has offended you.

Btw I am in fact Tony J.

Security reasons for not giving my full name, as I'm sure you'll understand why.

20. Jumping@shadows

No problem man, and I'm glad your experience was successful and enjoyable, and if Gary had taken his medicine it would have been just another episode in the great adventures in vintage guitar hunting, but he did make it incredibly difficult to the point of farce, and at one point I was considering flying half round the world to see if he'd be so quick to lie to my face.
    Unfortunately it's the facade of respectability and status that engenders customer confidence to the point they won't even question the item, and I strongly insist one scrutinise the guitar regardless of the seller, and I've assisted a number of people in tidying messes from doing otherwise.