1954 Gibson Les Paul GT converted to 1960 specs

Discussion in 'Vintage Les Pauls' started by Syrjosh, Nov 17, 2009.

1. Otto

Otto Senior Member

Ebay always has knobs for $400 a set.

2. Syrjosh

Syrjosh Member

I can only agree.

Here's what he wrote to me meanwhile about this very point:
    "$450 to $495 is the going rate for these. Be wary of people selling unmatched or damaged set. All my sets came from the same guitar. Vintage parts like these will always hold there value and I only sell 100% no issue parts."

Anyway, if it's relatively easy to get a set for $400 on the bay, I'm leaning toward loading my bay sniper gun and stand ready to shoot down the first $300-350 opportunity popping up within the next few months.

I'm going to set up an alert but please send me a pm if you see or hear of any nice opportunity to acquire a set of original bell knobs. Thanks!! :dude:

3. Jimmi

Jimmi Senior Member

450$ may not be bad for Europe. 350-400 shipped for a matched set is a good US price with no customs, no tax and cheap shipping.

1 person likes this.
  4. Syrjosh

Syrjosh Member

Thanks, Jimmi. I'll be in L.A. in September... and I'm not in any hurry... so... I'll be on the lookout :)

5. Jimmi

Jimmi Senior Member

Might have better luck in the southeast than west coast

6. Syrjosh

Syrjosh Member

I guess you're right...

I just meant I have a US address to send these to, that is: peanut shipping costs and no Belgian custom fees ;)

EDIT: Can someone please explain to me why black rings are that cheap and white rings that expensive? Is this only reflective of the different supply/demand ratios? Or perhaps many more Custom were produced? Or both?

7. RevWillie

RevWillie Senior Member

The white rings came on 2 guitar models: '57 - '60 PAF Les Paul 'Standards' and the PAF ES-295. A couple of steel guitars had white rings as well. Black rings came on several guitar models. As 'Burst rings' break and need to be replaced, there is a small and finite supply of original rings and they are all on collectable guitars.

As far as repros: black is pretty much black and easy to make, whereas the subtle color(s) and translucency of Burst rings can be a bitch to reproduce.

3 people like this.
  8. Tidewater

Tidewater Senior Member

Yes lawd! Love a '58 295 in refin, any color!

:)

9. Syrjosh

Syrjosh Member

Getting back to the knobs: I realize that reflector knobs are period-correct for a 1960 LP, which is supposed to be the year of reference for my conversion, if only because of the slim taper-like profile of the shaved neck.

Wouldn't it make more sense that I simply keep them on, forget about bell knobs and rather spend the cash on a nice Bartlett set (rings+guard)?

Also, would you feel strongly about replacing the tuners? I'm quite pleased with those early Grover's but if having tulip knobs would likely increase the value of my guitar (insofar as the conversion process would thus take another step forward) and not prove detrimental to its ability to stay in tune, I would consider replacing them.

Thoughts about the below two sets?

$450 here: Vintage 1950's Gibson Keystone Kluson Deluxe Tuners Les Paul Burst Period | eBay

$600 here: 1960 Gibson Kluson Deluxe Tuners Single Line Double Ring Burst 1961 1962 1963 | eBay

10. Jimmi

Jimmi Senior Member

There was a reason most people swapped the Klusons for Grover's. they are better tuners. I left them on my first conversion myself (early pat # gold). Just leave them. Page, Rossington, Perry just a few examples of who swapped for Schallers or Grovers.

1 person likes this.
  11. Syrjosh

Syrjosh Member

Thank you again, Jimmi.

I'll take your illustrated word for granted, all the more as it matches my gut feeling :)

12. Jimmi

Jimmi Senior Member

Grover's on an old les Paul are beautiful....real illustration :)

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  13. Syrjosh

Syrjosh Member

Hey guys, this axe is now for sale... :mad2: This is a very reluctant sale, indeed...
    Only doing so because I need to fix a temporary financial disorder situation before the end of November...

I have already received a few decent offers, but still not any that I can accept without second thoughts...
    Time is of the essence, though :)

I'm open to partial trades as long as I still get enough in cash.
    Ideally, I'd like the transaction to happen in person, may it be that you make it to Brussels or I travel to yours.

https://reverb.com/item/7002623-195...nversion-from-all-gold-goldtop-to-plain-burst

:headbanger:

14. Syrjosh

Syrjosh Member

BUMP -- new price......

15. judson

judson Senior Member

wow !!! that is nice, someone will grab that soon i think

GLWS

16. Syrjosh

Syrjosh Member

Fingers crossed that I don't have to sell it and instead sell other items... but thanks anyways :)

judson likes this.
  17. Syrjosh

Syrjosh Member

Hey guys,

The LP is still up for grabs, but probably not for much longer now that I've taken and uploaded these 9 videos:

CHANNEL : https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC0bMn9UtuVUxYW3-SfOprGw

1954 Les Paul Demo - Metallica, Enter Sandman ///

1954 Les Paul Demo - Guns N Roses, Sweet Child of Mine ///

1954 Les Paul Demo - System of A Down, Aerials ///

1954 Les Paul Demo - Incubus, Drive ///

1954 Les Paul Demo - Green Day, Basket Case ///

1954 Les Paul Demo - Jimi Hendrix, Purple Haze /// https://youtu.be/ADtIVYMqfNo

1954 Les Paul Demo - Soundgarden, Black Hole Sun /// https://youtu.be/ft2ZF9QEF-w

1954 Les Paul Demo - Led Zeppelin, Whole Lotta Love & Communication Breakdown /// https://youtu.be/2E5LdD-G9qQ

1954 Les Paul Demo - ZZ Top, La Grange /// https://youtu.be/govsvLqdf94

18. lpcustom69

lpcustom69 Premium Member

I went to the ad and it looks like it sold.

Syrjosh likes this.
  19. Syrjosh

Syrjosh Member

I found another solution to wipe out my debt (bank loan) and decided to keep the guitar. I have received quite a few offers over the last 15 days, but none that did the trick, not to mention the numerous "tire kickers"... If you think you could be interested in this guitar and are ready to spend the equivalent of $10K (why not including nice gear as trade in), please feel free to contact me. Cheers