1954 Gibson Les Paul GT converted to 1960 specs

Discussion in 'Vintage Les Pauls' started by Syrjosh, Nov 17, 2009.

1. Syrjosh

Syrjosh Member

The girl is mine :slash:

Actually, I believe no guitarist with decently well functioning ears could resist her.

Her tone is pure magic, her feel is sexual, her look is just gorgeous.

Her neck is the nicest one I have ever touched. Kinda slim taper, not that thin nor flat though; I never touched an original 60's LP neck, but that one fitted perfectly well in my hand.

Her action is the best I could hope for.

Her sound totally beat the shit off Jean's 69 Strat's and 67' ES-335's, especially with the bridge pickup.

She sounded really great on his Drip Edge Deluxe Reverb, totally freaking awesome with his 67' Plexi. I could hardly believe my ears.

Very articulated and extremely well balanced sound.

Her resonance and sustain are just about surreal.

Her intonation proves incredibly PERFECT. Never had any guitar sounding really good while playing a basic X|18|20|20|20|18, but she does this extremely well. Natural harmonics pretty much everywhere along the neck.

She is just meant to make you gawp, she's like the most perfect girl any boy could ever dream of. Except her scars due to her great experience, I can't think of any reproach I may have towards her.

Simply: a dream guitar.

This is a definitive keeper. I will NOT refin her. But over time, I will try to bring more original parts back on it.

Just in case, please note that I of course might well be interested :)

BSeneca and HeartString like this.
  2. Mike60

Mike60 V.I.P. Member

3. Big Red

Big Red Senior Member

I've seen this one before on the LPF, not sure if it was for sale at that point though (immaterial now!). Did it come with the zebra Timbuckers that you mentioned earlier? And do your plans for original parts include a PAF or two - or would you be happy sticking with the Tims or some other boutique/repro PAFs? Did Anje comment on the tone re. Timbuckers vs. the PAFs he had in it?

It looks like a really cool conversion which you can play with real pleasure, and spend future time and money on new parts as and when you feel it necessary. Just from the photos, I would be tempted to try and improve on the dowelling from the wraptail removal, but it sounds like this is no real concern to you at the moment (especially if you're happy with the finish). Happy days!

4. Mike60

Mike60 V.I.P. Member

5. vladmaximus

vladmaximus Senior Member

Wow..an awesome les paul...i want it...ROCK ON!!!

6. mapleflame

mapleflame Senior Member

I wonder why it hasn't been removed from either place. Yes it's a great price to get into the old wood plan. I had been interested, but i just have too many regular LP's from that era. I have been on the hunt for a Custom from the 50's.

7. teeloh

teeloh Senior Member

I am always a bit surprised at the interests conversions create. Is it because 'the burst' is such a big deal?

personally, a decent GT always grabbed me more.

8. cryptozoo

cryptozoo Senior Member

Glad this one sold as well, it's looks like a very nice guitar. I think the description of the shaved neck spooked a lot of people, but as usual, you have to play things to see how they work for you. Enjoy it!

9. Red Baron

Red Baron Senior Member

I considered buying this conversion myself a couple of times, but in the end the thinner neck shape (and the fact that it had wood added to it) put me off, but it's definitely got a great vibe about it. Congrats on your purchase Syrjosh.

10. weirdotis

weirdotis Senior Member

I agree with you. A "conversion" means it should have parts from that year on it... in its current state I would agree with you also and just call it a modified '54. That being said, I'd pay 6.5K for it... or 7 if I couldn't get it lower because of the whole vintage vibe.

EDIT: That does NOT mean I'm looking at buying it :D

11. Mike60

Mike60 V.I.P. Member

read the description.it still retains some of the good stuff on it.

12. Syrjosh

Syrjosh Member

Yep, she has the Zebra Tims

My plans are unclear yet, this purchase constitutes a big investment for me and I'll consider all these upgrades eventually, but nothing planned yet until I recover. Plus, I'm not knowledgeable enough over PAFs v. repro to already have an actual opinion about this, even if I have a strong feel for buying originals.

This might actually well be the very first "upgrade" I'll provide her with :)

Thanks for your input buddy

13. Syrjosh

Syrjosh Member

I have been looking for a remarkable / old / well-crafted / well-played piece of wood with a very confortable neck and a strong mojovibe to it. And that babe addresses all of my demands!
    As for the burst, had it remained the original GT, I think I would have still gone for it. Now, I must say that I really like how that refin looks like :)

14. Syrjosh

Syrjosh Member

Generally, and basically, vintage guitars selling e.g. 2000$ in the US will sell at around 2000€ in Europe. Meaning on eBay.com a European buyer should see euros in the place of dollars as you have to compensate for (quite expensive) custom fees and shipping costs...

Pretty much all of you would have bought it for 7K$... well, I'm just buying it for 7K€ (≈10K$), which comforts me in trusting that Jean's price is fair :)

Also he allowed me to pay in several mensualities... what else could I hope for? :)

15. Syrjosh

Syrjosh Member

Hey guys,

Just a little update to let all know that I was done paying it a couple months ago, so the baby's definitely 100% mine.

Here's a little picture of her sitting against my new amp, an Orange OR120.

Great combo, although I plan to bring quite a few changes to the amp (tubes & speakers basically).

The one little trouble I have with this combo is that I surprisingly get a lot of high-trebles. I sense this is mostly due to the amp... but I was wondering wether some of you may have an opinion on what this is most likely to be related to... I was thinking that maybe the Zebras are kind of treblish...? That being said, I don't get this problem when plugged in my 1954 Gibson GA5 at all, but these amps are definitely not comparable... Have not had a chance to plug it into any other amp so far...

Thanks for any comments :)

[​IMG]

16. Emiel

Emiel Senior Member

What kind of speakers does the cabinet have? Vintage 30's? They have a high mid which can be harsh sounding. I suggest you swap them for Greenbacks! De G12H-30 Heritage Celestions are real nice! You wouldn't believe the change :)

17. mapleflame

mapleflame Senior Member

Most of us like to play with our knobs open, but use those tone knobs both on the guitar and amp. It's simple, but works. If you could set your volume on the guitar at 7 and turn the amp up that works, or just put the tone knob at 3 1/2 to 6. I don't know the character of your pots, but that works for all my 50's LP's.

18. Syrjosh

Syrjosh Member

Hey guys,

Here comes a little update, it's been a while :)

I got to learn and love this axe more and more within the past year. Unless I'm offered 25k for it (which is clearly not about to happen), I will NEVER EVER part with it. She's such a keeper!! If only because getting another one that sounds and feels as good would certainly involve paying three of four times the price I got it for...

Anyways, I am now considering to acquire a nice long magnet double white for the bridge position. If anybody has that for sale, please let me know. I am also chasing for an aged-looking, ideally old and original, ABR1 tune-o-matic bridge.

As regards improving the dowelling from the wraptail removal, I was told it would be quite difficult to make this look consistent with the finish, so I just gave up on that.

19. diceman

diceman V.I.P. Member

No input re: the magnets, but I absolutely love this guitar. I'm glad that you're enjoying it. More pictures are in order, I think. ;)

20. RyanC

RyanC I'm Ryan... I'm an AVH Premium Member

I have a complete one with all the original saddles in excellent condition. To be honest, it might not be "aged" enough for you...

If you're interested, shoot me a PM.

PS... Love the axe!