1954 Gibson Les Paul GT converted to 1960 specs

Discussion in 'Vintage Les Pauls' started by Syrjosh, Nov 17, 2009.

1. Syrjosh

Syrjosh Member

Hi all,

This is my first post on mylespaul.com, but certainly far from the last one :)

I am coming round because I have just spotted what seems to be a really sweet axe and would love to get your opinion on it.

It's been on sale for a good while, but the seller has now reached a point where his price got reasonable, at least in my view, considering that I'm far from an expert in the field of older LP's converted to 58-60 specs... unlike many of you guys, hopefully.

As the seller has advertised for this sale in a pretty extensive fashion, it is quite likely that some of you have already seen this axe, even maybe on this very forum despite my own searches, in which case links to relevant discussions would be very welcome. The only thing I could find here was this : http://www.mylespaul.com/forums/vintage-les-pauls/29658-54-60-conversion-tgp.html

As you'll see, this "conversion" was pretty heavily modified, which makes it quite difficult for me to make up my mind and form an objective idea over how much this is worth investing into. I would love to know how much you think it is worth but any other form of feedback will be extremely welcome so I can best assess the value of this LP.

Here are its detailed specs, any questions welcome!

Cheers!
    Syrjosh

1954 Les Paul Model Gold Top
    "54-60 conversion"
    Refin end 60's / beg 70's
    The table has its joint in the center
    Pickup cavities were enlarged to welcome PAFs
    Neck was slimmed down to 60's profile
    No neck reset
    Recent pro refret
    Was converted to lefty at one time, without causing any damage (bridge inserts did not get re-drilled)
    Original Centralab pots
    Original caps
    "Pigtail Aged" lightweight tailpiece
    "Grover" Nickel tuners beg 60's
    "Vintage Clone" pickup rings & pickguard
    Recent (Gibson?) ABR-1 bridge
    "Timbuckers Zebra" Pick-ups (although some pics show PAFs, which the seller decided to sell on their own a while ago)
    Weighs around 4 kgs
    Gibson "protector case" 70's

And here are links to pictures of the lady:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

With the Timbuckers Zebra:
    [​IMG]

BSeneca, Nils, HeartString and 5 others like this.
  2. banditguitarist1

banditguitarist1 Senior Member

The Zebras make that thing look gorgeous!!!

3. Mike60

Mike60 V.I.P. Member

If that one is around much longer,I'm gonna buy it...

4. Syrjosh

Syrjosh Member

Tut tut tut :fingersx:

This LP sits in Paris, France and I will have my hands on it with some cash in the pocket on Saturday, so it's kinda too late for you guys, unless you're really willing to be unfair to me and you personaly know the buyer...

Now, I understand that his price is correct if a VIP member of the forum is saying he would buy it... :)

5. Mike60

Mike60 V.I.P. Member

I have been in contact with the seller.

Unfortunately I do not have the cash available at the moment to buy it.

If you are buying it...CONGRATS!....:applause::applause::applause:

6. Ride on a Pony

Ride on a Pony Senior Member

That looks amazing! I prefer it without the zebras though... :thumb:

7. Webtroll

Webtroll Senior Member

+1 I love the color and the checking, would rather see both double creme or double black

8. Syrjosh

Syrjosh Member

Has anyone an idea over the value of this piece of Gibson history?

9. brockburst

brockburst Banned

This guy's name on the gear page is Anje, he has a good rep there, and a ton of cool gear...I would trust him in a deal....and believe you could to

10. Syrjosh

Syrjosh Member

I know this for sure, I had him 85 min on the phone, far enough to understand how passionate and serious that guy is.

It's not a matter of not trusting him, just a matter of value of the instrument in abstract terms, my worry being due to the fact that I have too few of a knowledge regarding these converted oldies... they are quite rare, and think about it, even more in France... so for sure they're valuable, especially round here, but still... how about his one? It's been heavily modified... think of the neck for example... For sure it must be a crazy player... but I still wouldn't like to buy under the market value...if market value there actualy is...

Is this worth the 10K I'm likely to pay for it? My strong guess is that his price is reasonable from what I could see here and there, but I'd like to gather a few other knowledgeable opinions...

11. brockburst

brockburst Banned

Alright I will throw my two cents in and would bet many would agree.

A guitar like this, heavily modified sure. This guitar is totally going to be what you think its worth...there is definitely a reason it hasn't sold yet. For me I am a bit skittish of the neck being shaved down. There are also nearly zero vintage parts left on it, which is how a conversion would retain a good part of its value. There are plenty of conversions that people try to get upwards of 30k for. Some people pay it, but the majority don't. Purists would maintain that it should have been left original or restored.

So all we really have is the wood, and a mystery neck profile. You could argue the wood is worth 5000 or so. The rest of it...well thats really up to you. Personally, I treat this guitar as a heavily modified 1954 Les Paul and not a conversion. To get it how I would want it, I would retop it, refin it, and whatever else to get it to a 60 Flametop. Right now its a 58 plaintop with a 60's neck and reflector knobs if anything.

So as a modified 54, I think its true value would be between 5000-6000. There was on one Gbase for sometime that had a neckshave and everything ripped and replaced, finish was also stripped natural. It ended up selling for 4500 bucks.

12. xguitardevilx

xguitardevilx Senior Member

I'd say 8-10k is in the good price ballpark range for this guitar if he wanted over 12k I'd say pass.

13. brockburst

brockburst Banned

You are basically saying the wood is worth 8000-10000. I don't think that is true at all. 1952 Les Paul that had a minor headstock repair, otherwise all original with nice finish go for $5521 on ebay.

14. FUS44

FUS44 Senior Member

Has that guitar been with a few dealers? I swear I've seen that thing in the US before.
    The plugs beneath bridge are pretty recognizable.

15. ryancrossguitars

ryancrossguitars Senior Member

a real nice peice of old les paul history and I am sure it is a fantastic player my take these days 7500.unless it has pafs then the vale of the pickups more to the owner hold the guitar

16. Mike60

Mike60 V.I.P. Member

you do not know the value to you what this '54 is worth?...

17. diceman

diceman V.I.P. Member

That is a cool guitar! I don't think that the price is insane - a big high maybe; then again, you're not in the USA.

18. Syrjosh

Syrjosh Member

Thank you all for making that topic real.

Nope, sorry, I can make this with pretty much any "normal/original/standard" instrument, hardly with such oldies that have been so much played and modified. I just have a vague feeling for what the reasonable price of it might be, but not much more. Plus "the value to me" means nothing before tomorrow when I have this in my hands, where all can start... or not.

From where else than the US do you think this thing can come ? :hmm:

19. Stowburst

Stowburst V.I.P. Member

This guitar is killer, I have spoke with Jean before and as mentioned, he knows his stuff and knows tone. If I had cash I would be all over it.. Paris is only 2hrs train ride from London!

20. Mike60

Mike60 V.I.P. Member

+1 on the cash...I have LOTS of 1960 parts.Would love to have one that is converted to a '60 neckwise already.

Get the "Stowburst" back yet?