1953 Les Paul Standard 3-2495

Discussion in 'Vintage Les Pauls' started by cnote, Apr 15, 2018.

1. cnote

cnote Premium Member

Another one I used to own, now being played out regularly in New Orleans, paired to my old 1962 Vibrolux. 3-2495 is a 1953 Gibson Les Paul Standard, and the best sounding Les Paul I have ever owned or played. Weighing in at under 8 lbs, this one served in Nashville for many years before I owned it. All original, small frets, intonates remarkably well with 10s, and proper neck angle.

Some pics just FYI. I wish I could tell the story behind all this real-deal wear and tear. But maybe the guitar tells its own story.

Heavy checking all over -
    [​IMG]
    Interesting top wear down near the butt of the guitar, and a rather shallow early 50s dish, beautiful full top carve.
    [​IMG]

Other than checking, no significant back wear - other than the top edge and the bottom heel.
    [​IMG]

TRC far from the nut, original buttons in great shape - probably didn't spend a lot of time in its case, but more than that these early buttons seemed to hold up better.
    [​IMG]

Neck is riftsawn, not quartersawn.
    [​IMG]
    Beautiful dark board and original frets
    [​IMG]

Foam shim under bridge pickup to move it closer to the strings - the only mod, and reversible.
    [​IMG]
    1953 solder untouched
    [​IMG]
    Beautiful flat to riftsawn back - again, so little through-wear except at that waist edge.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    One last shot - interesting how the checking is a little less around the knobs, which is unusual.
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

2. RAG7890

RAG7890 Premium Member

:thumbs: :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause:

Thanks C, awesome to see pics of your ‘53 GT again. Spectacular Guitar..........hard to beat an early GT IMHO. :)

Cheers, Rudi.

3. Cookie-boy

Cookie-boy Senior Member

Beautiful guitar but the grass looks fugazi?

Louie, JohnInNJ, RAG7890 and 3 others like this.
  4. Stinky Kitty

Stinky Kitty Senior Member

Stunning!

JohnInNJ likes this.
  5. nuance97

nuance97 Premium Member

Neck is riftsawn, not quartersawn.
    [​IMG]
    [/QUOTE]
    Now, the neck may very well be riftsawn, but you can’t necessarily tell by looking at the back of the neck as in the photo above. The grain slightly skewed to the right as you go up the neck is called “grain runout,” and can happen with quartersawn. You have to look at the endgrain to really tell.

6. cnote

cnote Premium Member

Oh, and the grass is indeed fugazzi - always a drought out here, so...
    There was what appeared to be flatsawn cathedral grain on the side of the neck, and I could not find the "QS" silk that is on the reissues and QS Fender necks. The neck was also unusually stable - just about never needed tuning adjustments with the seasons - the most stable LP neck I've had.

[​IMG]

The lacquer was rubbed off the binding on much of the neck - this is a bad exposure, but you can see the yellowed lacquer on the binding body wasn't present at the neck binding here.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2018
    RevWillie, Brewdude, RAG7890 and 2 others like this.
  7. Blue Blood

Blue Blood Senior Member

Beautiful LP goldtop !
    Thanks for sharing the pictures and story

8. mdubya

mdubya Senior Member

Wow. :wow:

That qualifies as pretty much a perfect Les Paul. I can't imagine how good it must sound. :drool::drool::drool:

endial likes this.
  9. RAG7890

RAG7890 Premium Member

...............:squint:..............:shock:...........I always wondered why your Lawn looked so green but never looked close enough. :wow:

The jig is up C, we know your secret now. :rofl: :rofl:

Cheers, Rudi

10. dsmcl77

dsmcl77 Senior Member

11. rockinlespaul

rockinlespaul Oxblood Addict V.I.P. Member

Thanks for sharing your story and pics of that beautiful '53 GT, C! What a great looking instrument. I bet that neck feels like butter.

12. Left Paw

Left Paw Senior Member

No relic job will ever come close to matching that authentic wear and checking.

13. Progear

Progear Premium Member

Love it ....

14. BSeneca

BSeneca Senior Member

Why did you sell it? I just gigged my 52 Saturday night. Every time I play it I am astounded. Mine isn't quite as light as yours (only a little over 8lbs) but it just SINGS. Even my keyboard player who knows nothing about guitars says it sounds killer. Have been thinking about bigger frets and 53/54 stop tail. But when I play it those things just don't seem to matter that much (frets still take some getting used to). Thanks for the pics.

Thumpalumpacus likes this.
  15. Subterfuge

Subterfuge Senior Member

beautiful guitar, thanks for showing

16. BadPenguin

BadPenguin Senior Member

That just OOOOZZZES sexy!!!!

17. cnote

cnote Premium Member

Thanks guys. I sold the 53GT along with all my vintage stuff a few years back- just a compatibility issue with my needs, but I'm happy when they go to a guy that's playing out a lot, as was the case here. The small frets are of course noticeable, require a bit of attention when playing, but I didn't refret it because they were in fine shape, and the tone was the best I'd ever had out of a Les Paul, so I wasn't going to mess with it. The guitar had a very slight pleasant spicy smell, different than smoke, which made me wonder, along with the very light weight, if this was an early model made of Spanish Cedar. Also the grain on the back had a slight shimmery almost green aspect along some grain lines, which I hadn't seen in Honduran Mahogany before. You can kind of see it in the back photo.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2018
    RAG7890 and rockinlespaul like this.
  18. jimi55lp

jimi55lp Senior Member

You said it is being played regularly in New Orleans, what band or player? I live there also and just wanted to see if I know the owner?

19. cnote

cnote Premium Member

As it is a player who plays valuable vintage equipment out, I will refrain from posting publicly on the interweb just in the interest of safety, but will check with him about possibly PM'ing those interested. My understanding is he most often plays it with my old 62 Brown Vibrolux, if that helps - that was a magic combination, and he agrees.

By the way, I always thought the wear pattern on this suggest something that was played in a studio sitting down for most of its life. The arm wear moved toward the butt, and the most wear on the top back edge, but nothing in the middle or the bottom. suggests to me a player sitting down. And a very well-played-in neck. I had heard it'd been in Nashville most of its life. No buckle rash, but maybe it was left in an un-air-conditioned and often unheated studio a lot, so the finish cracked all over. At least those are my theories.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2018
    Gem23 and RAG7890 like this.
  20. Uncle Vinnie

Uncle Vinnie Senior Member

I'd sell my family into slavery before I'd sell that guitar.