1953 Gibson Les Paul Gold Top- $2400

Discussion in 'Gibson Les Pauls' started by viczeva, Apr 29, 2008.

1. viczeva

viczeva Junior Member

is this a good deal???

2. LJGriggs

LJGriggs Senior Member

That would depend on whether or not it is authentic, the condition, original parts and pieces, etc. If it is real, and in reasonably good shape, that is a very good price. (actually, too good of a price to believe) Keep in mind, the 1953 (and '54) was not a great "players" guitar. I had one in my youth and it was difficult to keep in tune because of the wrap-over bridge. Mine was a late 53 (no trapeze). These are better as a collectible/investment if they are in good condition. Doesn't mean you can't play them, though. I played mine for several years. The old P-90's were great. I do think my new P-90 Goldtop is a better playing instrument.

3. Liam

Liam V.I.P. Member

Like LJ says, too good. Even in poor condition they tend to fetch quite a bit more than that.

4. viczeva

viczeva Junior Member

well from the pictures ive seen, it looks to be in very good condition. the seller assures me that it is a 53 gibson, not a replica. that his brother, who just passed away use to have it.

the price sounds way to good to be true... ive asked him for a serial number, ill let u guys know what he says. any other tell signs that would let me know its a fake?

vic

5. Blues Power

Blues Power V.I.P. Member

yeah no way sounds like a big fat crock of s*** to me. IMHO

gives me nice dreams though

im with LJ too. the one chance i had to play one back in like 78 didnt feel all to good im my hands and i remember the owner talking about tuning probs as well. . it dont mean i wouldnt snatch one up given the chance though

6. dwagar

dwagar V.I.P. Member

post the pics on here. I'm not positive, but I think if it's early '53, it might not have a serial number (like the '52s)

Is it a trapeze or a wrap tail?

7. thefishingline

thefishingline Senior Member

you must be forgetting to add a zero...

8. viczeva

viczeva Junior Member

here is the pic i was provided with... and the message it has.

"1953 Gibson Les Paul Gold Top >This item is a 100% original 1953 Les Paul Gold Top ONE OWNER!!!! "

Attached Files:

9. LJGriggs

LJGriggs Senior Member

It looks good from what I can see, but you really need more photos (headstock, back of the neck and body, inside the cavity where the pots and caps are located, under the pickups, etc).

Here is a link to check the serial number (if you can get it).
    Mine had a serial number, this one should as well...

The Guitar Dater Project - Determine the date of your guitar by its serial number

10. dwagar

dwagar V.I.P. Member

the price seems too good to be true, can you get a hands-on of the guitar, or do you have to send him money?

11. Photoguy

Photoguy Member

Do you know the seller? This sounds like a craigslist scam to me, and IIRC, that picture looks vaguely familiar...like I've seen it posted on another forum.

12. viczeva

viczeva Junior Member

it is from craigslist... didnt know they were alot of gibson scams. the guitar is in canada, so i cant play it. i have asked for the serial, hopefully can get it.

13. Roman

Roman Master Luthier V.I.P. V.I.P. Member

That ain't right. I've never seen a stock 53 with a wraparound.

If it is real, it has had a neck reset and the wraparound bridge added.

14. Photoguy

Photoguy Member

Be *very* careful! I don't want to splash water on your fire, but yes, there's tons of Gibson scams on craigslist. Pictures copied from elsewhere etc. Ask the seller to provide a very specific picture to prove that he even has the guitar...yoiu might be surprised by the answer.

nutsauce likes this.
  15. Roman

Roman Master Luthier V.I.P. V.I.P. Member

LIES!

16. GibsonSlash

GibsonSlash Senior Member

That's a TOTAL SCAM!!

Notice the camera logo on the low right corner of the picture, that is an Ebay logo for their posted pics, so most likely the scamming seller took that picture from Ebay.

Get away from that SCAMMER while you can!!

17. LJGriggs

LJGriggs Senior Member

I had one with the wraparound back in the mid 70's. It was a late '53 model made after they dumped the trapeze bridge. I guess it could have been a '54, but the old guy I bought it from said he took it with him on his honeymoon when he and his wife got married in Nov. 1953...

18. Mikeeeeh

Mikeeeeh Senior Member

Yeah... definitely ask for new pictures with a sheet of paper include in pics with todays date written on it... always pays to be vigilant!

19. GibsonSlash

GibsonSlash Senior Member

And rule of thumb for Craigslist:
    * DEAL LOCALLY WITH FOLKS YOU CAN MEET IN PERSON - follow this one simple rule and you will avoid 99% of the scam attempts on craigslist.

*NEVER WIRE FUNDS VIA WESTERN UNION, MONEYGRAM or any other wire service - anyone who asks you to do so is a scammer.

More check this:
    craigslist | avoiding scams and fraud

20. viczeva

viczeva Junior Member

im pretty sure its a scam, i think im just gonna lead him on. Currently another guy is trying to scam me from nigeria... i keep playing him along, hopefully hell spend all his money calling me. F#%king scamers sent me a fake paypal email.