1952 Les Paul husk, wood only, Your opinion wanted

Discussion in 'eBay Deals' started by judson, Oct 14, 2017.

1. judson

judson Senior Member

am i the only one that has the never ending thirst for a 50's LP ? I keep looking and as prices seem to be on the rise, i think at some point before i am no longer on the face of the earth, i need to jump on in and get this done someway or some how.

i want a player, not going to nor can i afford anything into the nosebleed section, lowest end now i have seen on Reverb start around $13k to $15k asking and continue the rise from there....i have never seen a husk for sale before.

this husk might fit the bill, not worried or care at all about resale....all the parts to finish out with something respectable for me i can accumulate over time and i am not looking to hunt the world for original parts...something that fits and makes it playable will do it for me, i think and go from there.

So have you had this dilemma? what did you do and am i dreaming that i can find a husk at a decent price? i think a husk would also be a fun learning journey also...and what is your opinion of value for a husk, needing mostly hardware, not any neck reset or major body work to get to playable shape.

forgot the link for ebay and the second is Reverb...here

http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-5...0001&campid=5338014323&icep_item=112571023210

https://reverb.com/item/5865231-gibson-les-paul-1952-gold-paf-conversion-labor-day-special

hey i forgot the Philly show is coming up...anyone ever see a husk there??? or a decent price on a 50's under $15k ?

i am pretty sure this want isnt going to go away until its fulfilled... your thoughts appreciated :thumb:

Last edited: Oct 14, 2017
  2. VictorB

VictorB Formerly LZF Super Mod

I’ve seen some odd birds there, but never a husk.

3. judson

judson Senior Member

chasen..yeah there are no bridge posts, it floats,

yes i agree the paint looks too good even for 60's redo

i thought one of the gimmicks was to shave the bottom of the bridge to avoid needing a neck set, i could be wrong

4. Who

Who are you? Who who who who.... Premium Member

If you think you want it, buy it.

Since the description says it is husk only, but the seller notes says it has PAF humbuckers.... if you don't like it, you can return it for not arriving as advertised. ;)

IMG_0308.jpg

judson likes this.
  5. kiko

kiko Senior Member

Too many variables, your're better off finding something else IMO.

6. judson

judson Senior Member

i dont know but you have seen acoustics with floating bridges, the string pressure should hold it but i can mod that...not worried there

or it could become the most expensive slide guitar i ever bought....:rofl:

Last edited: Oct 14, 2017
  7. judson

judson Senior Member

i will be makin a trip to FL in Dec...if it is still there, i may swing by and take a look...money wise might work for me then also....

what the hell im gonna get one sooner or later so why wait, i have passed on two others, this looks like it might be feasible...who know?

8. judson

judson Senior Member

ok i was wrong , thought one of you dogs grabbed this.....:oops:

seller told me he spoke with a repair shop that is going to throw it all back together and get it playable so he can ask $18k when its done, im out

the hunt continues:fingersx:

Last edited: Oct 15, 2017
  9. masterglazier

masterglazier Junior Member

You just dodged a bullet.

Thumpalumpacus likes this.
  10. Left Paw

Left Paw Senior Member

I think you dodged a bullet also. You can buy a *lot* of guitar for $8K. As in complete guitar.

11. judson

judson Senior Member

for a 50's gibson lp i dont think was any bullet to dodge, yes there are many nice guitars out there at $8k or less but no 50's gibson LPs

i have enough of nice guitars and ones i wont part with but i do think the holy grail is a 50's LP which does bring up another question for those who have thought the same and then when they got that 50's LP it was not all they thought it would be.?..

12. Xrun Morzov

Xrun Morzov Senior Member

Who has bought it? :naughty:

13. judson

judson Senior Member

nobody......yet

the owner sent me a message that i could have it for xx dollars, then 4 hours later it was pulled from Reverb and ebay so i assumed someone that saw me post it here contacted the seller and grabbed it for themselves.

when i sent the seller a note, he said spoke with a luthier that was going to put all the parts together and get to playable condition so he could sell it for $18k....

I told him i am going to pass....for $18k i can find another one in better shape for less.......maybe