1952 Goldtop LP... My New '59 Burst Project

Discussion in 'Vintage Les Pauls' started by boogieongtr, Jan 2, 2010.

1. moff40

moff40 Senior Member

But is it absolutely necessary to hack these guitars to pieces to make them perfectly playable instruments? Wouldn't a neck reset and new bridge/tailpiece be sufficient? At least that way, MOST of the original guitar stays intact. This kind of job leaves NOTHING original. - OK, maybe the tuners...

2. The Refugee

The Refugee Senior Member

If I was to get a '52 goldtop, I wouldn't go to the extent that was reached in this thread. However, it isn't my guitar, therefor it isn't my place to judge.

I do think you did a very nice job on the conversion, it looks great and I'm sure it plays even better than that.

3. 1959burst

1959burst Senior Member

let's put it this way, you bought it, so do what you want with it...........it's your money....those who don't like it, buy up all the remaining intact ones., period end of debate.lol

4. Cookie-boy

Cookie-boy Senior Member

The guys like Boogie are very, very clever people. What they do with their bare hands is amazing to us ordinary Joe's. There will forever be the fella's on one side of the tracks and the fella's on the other side of the tracks. This is a recent phenomenon. Us guitar loving people have to live with it.

For me, as someone who has dipped in and out of the antiques trade since the late 60's I can see both sides of the argument. I've held REAL history in my hands......back a thousand years or more, pre Norman, Anglo Saxon gold. Your arm shakes when you hold it, literally. I've parked my arse in the Coronation chair that Mary Queen of Scots was crowned Queen in. My arse shook, and there's plenty of it to shake! But it was a "Damascus" moment. In reality something made in the late 50's should excite me like a bakelite teasmaid, but as we know, irrespective of their relative recent creation these late 50's Les Paul Burst's are as "Faberge'" as the old egg's themselves. They create levels of excitement and desire beyond ordinary belief.

Dare I say it......they can make honest men thieves.

Ah well......

Let it roll...........:thumb:

Shai`tan likes this.
  5. Dave1968

Dave1968 Senior Member

What I still don't get is the angle of the buyer?

Are they thinking they're getting a 'Vintage' guitar, part 'Vintage' guitar or a part 'Old' part 'New' guitar?

How much do people pay for these guitars, more than a intact 'Vintage'?

Do they still hold their 'Vintage' value or is it now a exclusive 'Custom' with 'Vintage' piece or pieces??

Surely it would be better to have a 'New' guitar built... Judging from this thread the wood has had the 'Vintage' sucked out of it!! Its not a '52 anymore and neither a '59:hmm: A moneymaker?:applause:

Remember back in the '80s when the Mona Lisa was vandalised when somebody threw paint all over it? They restored it as best they could to its original state the best they could. I don't think it was on anyones mind to put some hi-lights in here hair, give her a nose job and even eyebrows... Thats just a bit of fun btw.

I'm amazed what lengths people will go to..:laugh2::laugh2: Glad i have a sense of humour. We're all different which is good!!

Not finished yet:shock:

HOT NEWS!!

I'm thinking of doing my own '59 'Conversion' job. I think in the end this will be worth the $459 especially for a 'REAL' '59 carcass to work around!!! OMG 'Vintage', 'Original '59' Tip.:laugh2::laugh2::laugh2:

[​IMG][/IMG]

1959 Gibson Toggle Switch Tip...Clean & Cool on eBay (end time 26-Feb-11 06:28:23 GMT)

I think I'm getting how it works now!!:lol::lol: Sorry, couldn't resist..:)

6. Liam

Liam V.I.P. Member

Scarily, I think there is an honesty about this conversion that many would try to avoid. Definitely a '52 originally, he even left the control cavity to that there would'n be too much doubt. For those that think it should have been restored to original (and I'll admit I've got a foot in that camp), one of us should have bought it and paid for the restoration. But we'd be well out of pocket and I couldn't justify that kind of expense to own a barely playable guitar.

Now imagine the scenario of someone having a plain topped '59 Les Paul. They do exist, but not in the numbers they once did. Nothing like as collectable or valuable as a flame top. In fact the difference in value tends to be far greater than the cost of a re-top. So what do you think happens? Converting a guitar honestly is not exactly crime of the century in comparison.

Great thread, interesting project, learnt a lot reading all this. Probably wouldn't be my choice of what to do with the guitar, but it's the most financially viable one, and done with care, craftsmanship, and honesty.

Now you're talking. Bakelite teasmaid! I'm off to the loo for 10 minutes.

Liam

7. dwagar

dwagar V.I.P. Member

uh, for those of use that don't speak 'shire', what the hell is a teasmaid?

8. Liam

Liam V.I.P. Member

9. jimi55lp

jimi55lp Senior Member

Nice link Liam, I was wondering what the teasmaid was also. This thread was very interesting and well documented. Thanks again.