1952 Goldtop for $5000?

Discussion in 'Vintage Les Pauls' started by Les Paul Newb, Jul 23, 2017.

1. Oranjeaap

Oranjeaap Senior Member

Well... did you get it? If not, why not?

2. Johnnyslim

Johnnyslim Member

Thought about jumping in this thread for a couple of days. I am by no means an expert but only comparing my 1952 to this one on a visual basis only.

I have a 1952/59 conversion completed by Scott Lentz. I understand these '52 goldtops are a lot of hands on work by different individuals at the time of manufacture. On my 1952 the three holes where the trapeze tail piece attached are different. The two small screw holes on either side are not that far apart. They are closer to the center hole. It could be the angle of the photo but these two outside holes also appear to be spaced differently from the center hole. My top carve is a lot deeper, too.

3. eric ernest

eric ernest V.I.P. Member

Right now it's on eBay for $15K....so, game over.

It's in Cali.

Jumping@shadows, RevWillie and jeggz like this.
  4. joebonsai

joebonsai Senior Member

:rofl::rofl::rofl::beer::hippie:
    great! Eric!!

5. jeggz

jeggz Senior Member

Id of given him 5k in a minute.

RAG7890 likes this.
  6. maverick08

maverick08 Senior Member

15K? :facepalm:

Just went from reasonable to ridiculous.

RAG7890 likes this.
  7. jeggz

jeggz Senior Member

The listing is gone.

8. Les Paul Newb

Les Paul Newb Senior Member

For the people asking. No I didn't buy it. I live a 2 hour drive from the seller. I wasn't in the market for it, just came across it on CL and thought it was interesting.

A forum member politely asked if he could attempt to contact the seller if I wasn't interested (I think the same day the thread was created, which was also the same day the CL ad went up). He offered a finders fee, and I can always use money, but this place has done a lot for me, a lot. So I just gave him the guys name & phone number.

A few days later I asked him if he bought it, and he said he couldn't even get in contact with the guy.

9. Meclazine2

Meclazine2 Member

Umanov in NY had a 1953 Black resprayed Les Paul for $6,000 recently. Same thing. Hacked to death and the tail contraption converted to post-1956 setup.

Really up to the buyer if they want the history of the instrument as that is what you are buying when you get a vintage player.

The one advantage to these guitars is that you can give them for your children for their 7th or 8th birthday and you don't have to stress about them scratching them. Then tell them what year it is, and make out it is really expensive, and then amazingly, they really cherish them.

My young sons love my 195(6)0's Gibson's and Fender's.