18 watt DIY amp kits - which one?

Discussion in 'The Squawk Box' started by eddy999, Nov 20, 2009.

1. eddy999

eddy999 Senior Member

Hi all.

i'm in the market for an 18 watt Marshall clone, and planning to build myself (most likely from a kit rather than sourcing parts etc).

As i'm in the UK i've been looking at these two:

The PP-18 from AmpMaker.com AK03 - PP-18 18W guitar amp kit

The 18 Watt 'Cage' from ValvePower.co.uk Build your own boutique valve guitar amp

i'm currently leaning towards the ValvePower due to the variable power and the fact that the head is complete and doesn't require a head cab (like the pp18 kit does).. Both kits are about the same price - about £245 delivered ($400).

Are there any other kits that people suggest? ideally from the UK to keep the costs down, but i will look abroad depending on the prices. I've had a look at the ceriatone 18 watt kits however they are already more expensive and that doesn't include the greater shipping and import/tax charges..

Thanks.

Eddy

2. Liam

Liam V.I.P. Member

Have you looked at GDS? I've recently bought a pair of transformers from them, but the completed amp is a little way off...

Didn't pay any duty, and shipping charges were very reasonable (I'm UK based too). He knows his way round the Marshall parts.

Liam

3. TWANG

TWANG Senior Member

grow some ampticles

SuperLite PCB

*just kidding with the remark*

The SuperLite PCB and another variant of the Marshall 1974x. The SuperLite is equipped with a full Treble, Middle, Bass tone stack along with a pre-amp Gain control and a Master Volume control. It's a one channel circuit with one input. It's fairly simple, but it produces an amazing range of tones.

http://guitaramplifierpcbs.com/images/superlite scratch finished front.jpg

4. TWANG

TWANG Senior Member

5. TeleDog

TeleDog V.I.P. Member

Mine's got the TMB circuit with a master volume. Also a tone and volume control for the normal hi and low inputs (3 inputs total). Mine's 3 12Ax7 and 2 EL84 tubes plus the rectifier, outs for 4, 16 and 8 ohms, effects loop... Real nice, love that amp, loud as HELL though! lol

6. TeleDog

TeleDog V.I.P. Member

Man, one a serious note, why not trying to shop for the parts? You can end up savin' some dough there! Not hard, pretty sure you can find places in the UK for those little things, after all, isn't Marshall a UK company? lol....

There's a web store, Dr. Tube I think it's called, that sells in the UK. I've heard good things about them.

7. GTO

GTO Member

take a Ceraitone 18W TMB... its suberb...
    I have one... you can have the chassis already built for a small prize