'17 HP pickup ring height vs Standard rings?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by SoCal Flood, Sep 30, 2017.

1. SoCal Flood

SoCal Flood Member

Does anyone know if the pickup rings that come on '17 HP models with the holes for a snap on pick guard are the same height as standard rings? I ask because I have a pair of chrome HP ring covers I want to put on my '17 Standard rings (don't judge my bling needs lol). Just want to make sure they'll fit properly.

2. ARandall

ARandall Senior Member

Height is not really important. As long as the pickup fits under the strings its fine. The positions for the screws though are actually important.

3. SoCal Flood

SoCal Flood Member

Ok that makes sense. I just didn't know if the HP pickups made any other accommodations for the chrome covers. Looks like screw placement is the same.

4. Gold_topped

Gold_topped Senior Member

It just so happens I'm looking for a set of snap pickup rings and pickguard. What color are they and would you be selling them?

5. SoCal Flood

SoCal Flood Member

Oh I think my post misled you. I don't have the HP rings, just the HP chrome covers that go on top of them. I have a '17 Standard and am hoping I can just put the chrome covers on top of my existing pickup rings. In a perfect world I'd also love to get a set of the snap rings as I'd rather never drill a hole in my LP if I don't have to.

My assumption is Gibson doesn't want to sell the HP specific accessories because some ppl will opt to buy a Standard and acquire the HP look for low cost rather than ponying up for a the high cost HP model. I actually don't like the chrome tone/volume nobs, nor the chrome truss cover. But I do think a chrome switch tip and chrome pick up covers would give a nice clean overall look to my bourbon burst finish.

Gold_topped likes this.
  6. Gold_topped

Gold_topped Senior Member

I think you are right. Depending on the patent, we may see third party rings at some point. I am not just not willing to pony up $35 on fleabay for the rings.

SoCal Flood likes this.