16 Ohm 10" speaker for VHT Special 6 for low volume, cleanish tone.

Discussion in 'The Squawk Box' started by Satellitedog, Sep 11, 2017.

1. Satellitedog

Satellitedog Senior Member

Thanks disaffected, thanks chef!

I'm new to the question of various speaker types, so I'm not quite sure I won't ask something really stupid.
    Anyway, playing cleanish stuff usually with reverb, delay and modulation effects and some overdrive, and occasional fuzz if a song calls for it is the area the speaker needs to sound good.
    What sensitivity do you recommend folks? I know a 10" won't produce a huge bottom end, but it would be nice to have a relatively open sound, with some dynamics (I like pickups with wider dynamics), to get as 3D a sound as is possible with a smallish box and a midrange belter.

chef likes this.
  2. Cjsinla

Cjsinla Premium Member

That's insane. I'll check my local shipper. I assume that 1026 is your local area like 90302 is mine.

Satellitedog likes this.
  3. Cjsinla

Cjsinla Premium Member

Just checked online, you were right, Fedex wants $250 to $300, that's not practical or affordable. I'll talk to a human at my local shipping place, they can check all the ways that are possible to do this.

4. Satellitedog

Thanks again, that's super generous of you, but don't worry about it, I think it may be a better idea to save it for someone on your continent who really needs it, someone who can make good use of it for a standalone cab, or as a replacement for a blown one.
    I can get a 10" greenback new for about $120-130, and Thomann.de has a wide sortiment of Celestions and other brands in stock, from cheap and cheerful to boutique quality stuff, in whatever ohm-age and size necessary.

(and yeah, 1026 is the postal code for deliveries)

5. Robert Arthur

Robert Arthur Senior Member

Vox AC10 from sweetwater has the Greenback from the jump and sounds a whole lot better than the only VHT I've played, a UNIVALVE.

6. Satellitedog

10 Watts are way more than I need to be honest. I want to have something significantly weaker than my Blues Jr.

7. chef

chef Senior Member

You want an open back cab most likely for that sort of sound (I think your VHT is open). Closed/ported cabs are punchier, and don't radiate sound backwards as an open cab does.

Alnico speakers are different than ceramic speakers - lots of sound samples you can find. I was deciding between a 10" celestion alnico and the Jensen p10. I have other ceramic speakers (Vintage 30, Lead 80), which are good for heavier sounds, and are much louder too. I play lots of cleanish to edge of breakup.

Also, remember any speaker will need plenty of time to break in. In the case of my Jensen, it took a while.

As to sensitivity, it's relative. What speaker is in your Blues Jr? You can look up the sensitivity. Many 12" speakers are around 100db, many 10" speakers are closer to 90db. Which means, given the standard test conditions (I think 1W at 1M) you will get less volume.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2017
    Satellitedog likes this.
  8. Cjsinla

Cjsinla Premium Member

Just checked at my local shop, shipping to EU is not practical, much too expensive, sorry.

9. Satellitedog

I'll be replying after work, but thanks for your replies!

10. Satellitedog

Thanks for the detailed post. I have been listening to a number of comparison shootouts. I really dig Johan Segeborn's videos.
    Anyway, it seems like I happen to like some ceramic speakers quite a bit. I like the tightness of the sound, the definition. I have to listen to more speakers I guess, because I think I know too little about typical speaker tonalities to just shoot my mouth off about them.

My Blues Jr. (my first and thus far only guitar amp) has the stock US made Eminence Fender Special Design 12" which Bill M roughly equates to the Eminence Legend 125/1258, which are rated 100.1 db.
    It's been broken in during its 17 years, 12 of which it spent with me, mostly as a home amp, with the occasional rehearsal and recording runs.

I actually like its sound with my guitars quite a bit, although I cannot often push the power tubes too hard because of neighbours. I dislike the preamp drive sound of the BJr, it's fizzy, but I can't use that either because of neighbours. So I'm stuck with fuzz pedals and overdrives, which I like more, all in all not a huge loss. I can get all the dirt and grit I want that way, and nice edge of break-up tones too.

So is that rule of thumb of lower sensitivity=lower volume hold up? I'd be fine with a less powerful speaker if dynamics are fine, and the bass is tight/controlled/punchy.

11. Satellitedog

Really not a problem, CJ. Thanks for looking into it, and I hope the speaker gets good use with someone deserving.

12. Satellitedog

Is there a low sensitivity speaker that is kinda the industry standard? I'm interested in everything really, could be for jazz cleans, could be for '50s type tones, '60s cleans, pre-Classic rock tones.