16 Ohm 10" speaker for VHT Special 6 for low volume, cleanish tone.

Discussion in 'The Squawk Box' started by Satellitedog, Sep 11, 2017.

1. Satellitedog

Satellitedog Senior Member

Hey tubeheads!

I've been looking for a new, small, low wattage all tuber while saving up for a '68 Princeton RI.
    Came across VHT's Special 6, and it seems just the ticket, being basically a Champ, while most other affordable low watters have EL84 power tubes. Also, I like that it's not surface mount parts, but hand wired, but read that it could use a speaker upgrade.

I was previously looking at 12" speakers for my green board '00 Blues Jr., and found I really liked the sound of one of the H type Celestions (couldn't find the shootout, will link it here if I do)

So I'm looking for a 10" 16 Ohm speaker (not that common it seems) that isn't harsh or biting, icy, rather something more mellow for warmer, clean(ish) tones.

Thank you for your time and recommendations.

2. ARandall

ARandall Senior Member

There is a 10" greenback that might be worth a look.

Robert Arthur and Satellitedog like this.
  3. Cjsinla

Cjsinla Premium Member

It looks like that VHT has outputs for 4, 8, and 16.

Satellitedog likes this.
  4. gball

gball Senior Member

I've used these and they are magnificent. They sound basically just like a 12" Greenback but have, predictably, less low-end substance and heft. They also fall apart pretty quickly at high volumes, but seems that wouldn't be a problem in this application. It's a truly great speaker - one day I'd like to get a 2x10 cab with them.

5. Satellitedog

Yes there is, and it is my first choice unless there's something better. It is available to me without overseas shipping, which is a major plus.

Yup it does. Would it be technically okay to use the back-panel outputs for a speaker mounted inside the amp-cab? A bit unsightly perhaps, but would I need to do anything about the disconnected internal 16 Ohm output?
    Are all modern combo speakers plug and play, or are there cases of them being hardwired?

Yes, I need a weaker amp for living room recording and practice where I can leave the guitar volumes up. With the Blues Jr. I have to keep the preamp vol at 2 o'clock for that. Wonder if it's a good idea to get a non master vol. amp though...

6. ARandall

ARandall Senior Member

I have been going through the same sort of decision making in the last week.....but mine was based on a good speaker for a tweed deluxe where I'm trying to get the driven good for less volume - the sensitivity of the speaker is quite low.

7. dissaffected

dissaffected Senior Member

You might consider waiting to see what you think of the amp before planning to yank the speaker. I have the Ultra version- 12" speaker- that I use for practice. It sounds great. My bet is it would sound slightly better with a Celestion but I have never been unhappy with the noise that comes out of the stock speakers.

Satellitedog likes this.
  8. Cjsinla

Cjsinla Premium Member

This is good advice. And, I don't know the answer to your question regarding the use of the back panel outputs in place of the internal 16 ohm output.

BTW, I have a 10 inch Celestion speaker that is 16 ohms that came out of my Vietnamese Vox AC4 that I would be willing to give you. How much do you think it would cost to ship it to you in Budapest from Los Angeles, California?

image.jpg

Last edited: Sep 12, 2017
    Satellitedog and dissaffected like this.
  9. mdubya

mdubya Senior Member

For the price of a VHT Special 6 and a speaker, you could buy a real Champ. :dunno:

You could also buy a Silvertone 1481.

Or a Silvertone 1482 and the need for a Princeton RI would go away. :hmm:

Have you looked at these?

https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=611705

Do what you want, but your line of reasoning confuses me. :oops:

GitFiddle likes this.
  10. sonar

sonar Senior Member

Are the current 10" GB's like the older ones from the 90's?

11. Satellitedog

Yes, that would make sense were I located in the USA. Unfortunately (regarding music equipment) I live in the EU, so shipped price topped with 30% taxes can turn out to make US purchases prohibitively expensive. Heavy items are especially problematic, so I need to need whatever I buy from the US. But yes, I would agree with you otherwise. I saw a '78 Vibro Champ in Holland for $725, and I'd rather get a PR RI.

mdubya likes this.
  12. GitFiddle

GitFiddle Premium Member

Love the quote on that page...

mdubya likes this.
  13. mdubya

mdubya Senior Member

They sound decent enough, though.

GitFiddle likes this.
  14. GitFiddle

GitFiddle Premium Member

No, I mean I love that quote. Tone is debatable but tubes are always better. :thumb:

Tempted to get that little thing. Even if just to use for rehearsal. Right now, using an old Peavey Decade from the 80s, just because it is so easy to carry to practice.

[​IMG]

mdubya likes this.
  15. Satellitedog

Whoa. Thanks a bunch for all the replies folks!

I was leaving the office when I last replied, but now I can get back to each and every watt of you.

16. Satellitedog

Super kind of you to offer that speaker, thank you! Unfortunately either I'm very bad at using a shipping rate calculator or it would not make any financial sense to ship it. (tried DHL, FedEx, USPS, and UPS didn't want me to understand their services...)

Perhaps you could check your preferred shipping company to 1026, Budapest, but I got quotes between
    $200-350 shipping from 90001, LA.

17. Satellitedog

Yes, although a while ago, and misremembered it as an EL84 power tube design, and also the Joyo Sweet Baby (also a 6V6 power tube, but with tube rectification) so there are some options.

Monoprice manufactures a lot of things (like graphic tablets and digital electronics), don't know if I want to buy a guitar amp from them, but if it's good, it's good.

The Joyo is more tempting, at the same pricepoint as the VHT.
    Basically I'm attracted to the VHT because of the handwired circuit, that can be easily fixed or modded.

mdubya likes this.
  18. Satellitedog

I wouldn't be in a hurry to swap the speaker, I'd definitely break it in first.
    Also, I can't really decide which one I like more, the Special 6, or the S6 Ultra. I don't want or need higher gain sounds, but the built in power attenuation is tempting, plus there are more controls and a 12" speaker.

19. dissaffected

dissaffected Senior Member

I thought the extras on the Ultra were worth the $$. The ultra channel gets a nice crunch at reasonable volumes.

Satellitedog likes this.
  20. chef

chef Senior Member

I put a Jensen P10Q Alnico in my Pro Jr.

Great speaker, and my favorite speaker for clean to edge of breakup with decent dynamic range. It's a low sensitivity speaker, so you can drive it a bit and its not super loud.

The P10* comes in a couple different wattage rating, the one I have is 35W and stays together with moderate push from 15-30W amps, don't generally dime them, but haven't blown it either.

Satellitedog likes this.