'14 / '15 TH comparisons

Discussion in 'Historics & Reissues' started by 7gtop, Jun 3, 2015.

1. Sct13

Sct13 Premium Member

this is key....

Why is it people do not understand that any interuption in the wave speed due to chanes in the medium will affect the end result....the better the contact betweeen two pieces, the better the wave can get past that junction. A gooey glue will slow it down....a crispy glue "might" help it....

but....its a small imperceptible thing...

HOWEVER....it is the sum of all the parts that make the whole....so I say use the good "crispy" glue

2. Mouse

Mouse Senior Member

glue is key to the tone, excercise glue.

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  3. RAG7890

RAG7890 Premium Member

C, you know what my view is on this from the Emails. Until I see rock hard, concrete proof that Gibson are using it I still have my doubts. They simply lack to skills to use HHG for a large surface area join like the one found in the Maple Cap / Mahogany Body Join.

If highly skilled Luthiers don't do this then I fail to see how Gibson can.

Also, while I think of it if they were retooling & going to all this "alleged" accuracy trouble, then why didn't they just use the correct freaking glue (UF) in the first place, instead of the wrong glue (Hide Glue in whatever form)? It just does not make sense to me. It is totally illogical.

Or was this just another load of marketing BS to make all the members feel like they had to sell all their pre '15's to go & buy a TH?

Cheers, Rudi

1 person likes this.
  4. winexprt

winexprt Senior Member

From what I understand from members on this forum, the government would never allow Gibson to use UF due to potential health hazards for employees.

5. RAG7890

RAG7890 Premium Member

I was one of the Members that posted that information but in reality you can use UF & it is used extensively in the US right now in Chipboard & Plywood Plants.

It would require addressing OH & S issues but it can be done IMHO, especially since the number of TH Guitars per year is relatively low. So yes, it is possible but it would be a pain for Gibson.

:cheers2:

1 person likes this.
  6. Mouse

Mouse Senior Member

Nothing is painful, new glue next year and the price increase :thumb:

Do you wanna guitar with no glue- no seperate top, no problem, pre-pre-historic original. anything to lock your minds at home base.

some folks don't see it clearly, gibson is original, author.

7. jlb32

jlb32 Senior Member

It might be a pain for Gibson but for the prices they are asking now maybe it should be.

Just like Brazilian rosewood. It might be a pain but it can be legally sourced and Gibson could legally still use it for limited runs of guitars.

8. cnote

cnote Senior Member

I think that it would be a whole "nother level of investment in equipment and training to got the RF cured formaldehyde glue route, especially with regulations and being that this is a conservative company in some pretty political crosshairs. Same reason they probably didn't change the nitro formula, just sprayed it thinner.

Also, I do know of at least one luthier who does hide glue tops to backs, and does it the same way most small luthiers do tops- vacuum bags. The same luthier looked at the same picture of the Gibson employee putting glue on the top, and couldn't form any conclusions one way or another from it.

9. RAG7890

RAG7890 Premium Member

:laugh2:.........yep I read only this morning & all three of us want to know what the Glue is in that tray on his LHS (RHS in the pic). :D

Cheers, Rudi.

10. Mouse

Mouse Senior Member

One thing is misunderstood, hide glue also functions as its own clamp. Once the glue begins to gel, it pulls the joint together.

[ame]www.youtube.com/watch?v=21sL6XLM02Y[/ame]

2 people like this.
  11. mfolet

mfolet Senior Member

This is speculation at its finest.

12. FKO

FKO Senior Member

Nobody in their right mind would acknowledge guitars in their possession is a dog regardless of brands (Fender, Gibson, PRS, Collings, etc...). It's equivalent to flushing their money into the poo hole.

13. FKO

FKO Senior Member

I'm pretty certain if Gibson sells the TH for $999.99 and offers free BJ; it will be hailed as the best LP ever made regardless of whatever glue/plastic were used. :laugh2::laugh2:

14. strat1701

strat1701 El Diablo Cazador De Hombres Premium Member

depends on who's giving it. Henry? He'll make sure it's an 'accurate' BJ!

15. Fiftywattmafia

Fiftywattmafia Senior Member

No...it'll STILL be inaccurate.... But he'll tell you its accurate...and raise the price.

2 people like this.
  16. 7gtop

7gtop Premium Member

henry the ju!ce

:laugh2::laugh2:

1 person likes this.
  17. mfolet

mfolet Senior Member

They are using HOT hide glue to glue the tops on the True Historics.

1 person likes this.
  18. mapat

mapat Senior Member

Thank you for the confirmation Mike.

You are right, this was rampant speculation at its finest.

As far as the whole Hot Hide Glue on the tops is period incorrect, to me, that would not really matter if in fact Hot Hide Glue and Urea Formaldehyde are functionally equivalent.

If both Hot Hide Glue and Urea Formaldehyde will result in a strong non-rubbery bond that is likelier to result in more tone transfer between the maple top and mahogany body, then I wouldn't care which one is used... But that's just me.

:)

1 person likes this.
  19. mfolet

mfolet Senior Member

I got to see and check out a HS9 today too.Very cool guitar.

20. jamman

jamman Premium Member

WoW , So now this thread can move forward ,as the "What type of glue is used on the top ? has been established .

You all realize ,even though Hot hide glue sets up quickly , that really means Nothing (after the Original build BS/selling point, we have been told) ,,,, :wow:

Nothing the Router won't clean up(overlap of uneven sections) anyway ..... And Every top will and does get Routed aftering be mated with it's body ..... :laugh2: For the binding ,,,right ??? :shock:

If a Video could be posted showing/for us the HEAR the difference 1 glue over another makes in the final tone of any 2 guitars ..Please .,,,, I've got my headphone waiting and ready :lol:

Or Am I in the Vintage section ???? :cool: