12-string SG?

Discussion in 'Vintage SG' started by Phoenix59, May 8, 2015.

1. David Mccarroll

David Mccarroll Senior Member

By the way I have a 62/63 LP/SG as well - yeah, it sure is light, and it sure is bendy (actually it's a wreck to be honest), but fortunately someone had thrown away the sideways vibrola before I got it, and man, that guitar with a stop tailpiece through a JCM800 defines ROCK TONE :D

2. Dolebludger

Dolebludger Premium Member

Look at the thread on this sub-forum about "thinking of removing my sideways trem", where you will find that member Danelectro of Mojoaxe has another solution for the tone sucking of that trem, that doesn't change appearance and is reversible. I bought one and it changed my 61-62 SG LP from a collector to a real player!

3. storey

storey Senior Member

If any of you are lucky enough to read a book. called"The Strat in the attic-famous stories of guitar archaeology", there is a story in there told by a owner of a vintage guitar shop in St Louis about a gentleman coming in one day to sell an SG Custom. The owner of the shop opens the case and inside is a 12 string Sg custom with an engraving in the tailpiece that says the date of manufacture by Gibson, Kalamazoo, Michigan instead of the lyre. There's a picture of it in the book-split diamond inlay, block markers-the whole thing. The REALLY interesting thing is while the shop owner is finalizing the sale, the guy spots a Les Paul standard on the shop wall and says that his relation that owned the Sg also had a 12 string that looked like that but he does not know what happened to it after he passed away.

4. 2manyGuitars

2manyGuitars Senior Member

The guitar you refer to in the link above IS the guitar in the Denver Hard Rock. The link is for the Julien's auction where they sold off all of Les Paul's gear.

5. Dolebludger

Dolebludger Premium Member

I was by the Denver Hard Rock last weekend. This guitar was still there.