12" radius frets on a 7,25" radius board?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by AlexGibs, Mar 7, 2018.

1. AlexGibs

AlexGibs Member

Hello everyone!

I know, it is not about my LPs that I am going to talk but here is the problem. It is about my Strat which is a Knopfler signature and as you probably already know, it is a 7,25 radius neck...
    Anyway, that vintage radius is either loved or hated, and for me, I have been experiencing issues for ever with it. Now, I want to change things without having to sell the guitar. I love it so much and would like to make it suit my needs better.

So, instead of changing the fretboard radius to the one I want (it would take out too much wood), I was wondering if it is possible too level brand new frets to a different radius than the 7,25 under them?
    Let's imagine I take the biggest frets size there is out there and make it a 12" radius, would that be possible?

Anyone has already done something like that?

Thanks a lot! :D

2. Skyjerk

Skyjerk Meatbomb Silver Supporter

You can talk about Strats here :)

I've built 5 Strats, and only one LP and they havent kicked me out ;)

Its certainly possible if you used really tall fretwire, but it would be fairly thin in the middle, and at best it would be a real hack of a solution.

Better solution would be replace the entire fretboard.

3. cmjohnson

cmjohnson Senior Member

Why not just take off the original neck, put it in storage, and replace the neck with one that is more to your liking? That seems to me to be the easiest way out and one that allows you to preserve originality on the guitar should you choose at some point to sell it.

I don't care much for Fenders, and I've had several. Just don't agree with them. But the ability to swap necks with a screwdriver does have its positive points, to be sure.

w666 likes this.
  4. pshupe

pshupe Senior Member

If you are taking off the frets you could re-radius and only lose about 1/32" of height off the fret board.
    Capture.JPG

that's a lot to take off a fret though even if they are quite high. Here is one of the higher fret crowns at 0.050 and would look pretty strange if you took the radius out of the fret, IMO.
    Capture.JPG

Doesn't leave much room to crown and this is if the board and frets are dead flat.

Cheers Peter.

PS - this is worst case scenario at the end of the fret board.

w666, Greco, WezV and 1 other person like this.
  5. AlexGibs

AlexGibs Member

Thanks to everyone for the replies.

I want to keep that particular neck because of its beauty (beautiful dark rosewood) and its tonal quality.
    So the best option would be to make the fretboard the radius I want directly. Thank you pshupe for that, it is exactly what I wanted to calculate! ;)

Last edited: Mar 7, 2018
    pshupe likes this.
  6. Skyjerk

[​IMG]

7. Skyjerk

I thought his name was situps ;)

mux164 and pshupe like this.
  8. AlexGibs

AlexGibs Member

Haha yes sorry, it has been corrected automatically. :p

failsafe306 and pshupe like this.
  9. bcguitars74

bcguitars74 Member

If you really don't want to change the neck then I guess you could just re-radius the fretboard - pull the frets, chip the nut out, radius to 12", new nut and re-fret. You would possibly have to re-cut the fret slots in the middle to make sure there is enough depth for the new fret tang.

10. AlexGibs

AlexGibs Member

I think this is what I am going to do. Thanks everyone! :)