12/7/41

Discussion in 'The Backstage' started by MSB, Dec 7, 2017.

1. MSB

MSB Senior Member

Here's to all that perished that day...and in the following

I had the pleasure to go last year the week before the 75th anniversary. The Arizona memorial was eerily quiet and while being beautiful it was incredibly sad knowing how many were just below me.

Attached Files:

Ermghoti, El Pablo, oldmiguel and 7 others like this.
  2. scrumm21

scrumm21 Silver Supporter Premium Member

Amen....

Very cool you got to go...... ( as emotional as I have felt at Little Round Top and other Gettysburg battle sites I can't Imagine what it would be like at the Arizona Memorial )

Kris Ford, cherrysunburst00 and MSB like this.
  3. Bill Hicklin

Bill Hicklin Senior Member

4. cherrysunburst00

cherrysunburst00 Senior Member

Freedom is NOT free.

I used to go into some detail in my history classes on 12/7.

We should NEVER forget

5. Kris Ford

Kris Ford Senior Member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 7, 2017
  6. Bill Hicklin

Bill Hicklin Senior Member

By coincidence, Grumman Aircraft unveiled its new torpedo bomber on 7 December 41. Its name? Avenger.

And before four years had gone by, it had lived up to its name- and then some.

7. don71

don71 Senior Member

I"m so glad people can still discuss this. As they should. The greatest generation deserves it.
    The first ship to engage the japanese was just found. The USS Ward. It had dropped depth charges etc. on something that wasn't right in the early hours before the battle.

http://www.cnn.com/videos/politics/2017/12/07/uss-ward-wreckage-found-orig-vstan.cn

Also another story about a downed Jap pilot:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Niihau_incident

Keep the memory alive, and those who perished will never die in the minds of those who remember.

scrumm21, MSB and oldmiguel like this.
  8. MSB

MSB Senior Member

My dad grew up doing Civil War reenactments so I was always into history of some sort, but in the 4th grade I did a paper on Pearl Harbor and since then my fascination switched to the second World War. I really can't get enough, the more I learn (which is all the time- just saw a couple fascinating videos of German bunkers that have eroded onto the beach in Denmark) the more I am in awe at this generation and what they went through so we can speak the language we do today. My next door neighbor growing up was a Flying Tiger and was shot down and spent a week escaping, his stories were amazing. A couple months ago, I finally got the chance to check off a bucket list item and fly in a B-17- the Nine 'O Nine. If you ever get a chance, it's surreal.

Attached Files:

scrumm21 and El Pablo like this.
  9. Soul Tramp

Soul Tramp Speaker Snob V.I.P. Member MLP Vendor

scrumm21 likes this.
  10. HearHear

HearHear Senior Member

My grandfather was in the Navy in World War 2 and fought in the Pacific theater. He was on a "tin can" destroyer and saw some action, and sailed through Halsey's typhoon as well. He always said the younger generations will never appreciate the sacrifices made by everyone during that war. For the most part, I think he was right. Not only did the soldiers/sailors have it rough, but the people back home faced shortages of almost everything. Gas, sugar, oil, shortening, eggs, copper, metals, rubber, etc.. etc... all in very short supply back home from 1942-1945.

I really don't think today's generations could cope with the sacrifices they made back then. Today's generation would riot until they were given everything to calm back down.

scrumm21 and MSB like this.