10 Humbuckers Reviewed: Pickups off the Beaten Track

Discussion in 'Pickups' started by gmacdonnell, Feb 18, 2009.

1. 5F6-A

5F6-A Senior Member

those look ever so cool

2. gmacdonnell

gmacdonnell V.I.P. Member

Don't they? :thumb: It's like a Rickie meets a Mosrite meets a Framus

They're actually chambered out, and the switch is a 4-way, so it has the parallel and series options. Looks like a really fun guitar.

Here's the Premier Guitar review, with some ok soundclips, (too processed, imho to really hear the guitar, but better than nothing.)

Godin Richmond Series Belmont & Dorchester Review - Premier Guitar

3. if6was9

if6was9 Senior Member

I plan to post some audio examples in the near future, once I master using my computer's ability to record (currently having operator issues). Before I purchased mine I noticed that examples of the alumitone pickups available online are few and of those most not so good.

4. st.bede

st.bede V.I.P. Member

please and thank you (also thank you Gmac)

5. gmacdonnell

gmacdonnell V.I.P. Member

Hopefully in the next months I'll be able to post some soundclips as well. My Alumitone-equipped guitar is at home, and it'll be a while before I see it again. They're a great tool for the studio, because you can get so many great sounds; some classic, some really new. They're also great live pickups, so if I can bring 2 guitars next time, (tight quarters in the van,) they'll be comin' along.

You can actually plug them into a PA or acoustic guitar amp, and get a great, pseudo-acoustic guitar sound, because the freq. response is so much wider. So you can use an A/B or a stereo volume pedal for hybrid sounds, without a battery, or without harsh piezo artifacts. It's pretty sweet, and the only pickup I know of that can do drop-tuned death metal, country, acoustic-style sounds, and sweet jazz tones. ;)

6. Jason

Jason Senior Member

I do agree that the online samples of the Alumitones sound fairly harsh... I think that's just because of the increased frequency response... I would be willing to bet that with some EQing you could get them to sound like just about anything. You'd almost want a 3 band EQ right on the guitar though. :laugh2:

7. st.bede

st.bede V.I.P. Member

man, now I need one....should a sitck one into a studio LP?

8. stringtheory

stringtheory Member

5 Vintage Vibe Humbuckers: Wound by Pete Biltoft, (you might call him Lollar's protege,) Vintage Vibe humbuckers are custom wound to your specs. He doesn't have many "models", but can wind to just about any sound in your head. I own a set of humbuckers that were wound to sound like a cross between a PAF and a Filtertron, that blows me away every time.
    His pickups are among the finest quality I've ever seen, and they all offer superlative tone.
    Of particular interest to some are his Charlie Christian pickups which can be ordered to fir in P-90 or Humbucker spaces. He also offers Filtertrons, P-90's, and DeArmond styled pickups to fit in Humbucker slots. He offers a pickup that is two miniature P-90's that fit in a single humbucker slot. It has incredible warmth and power and coil-taps into a great p-90. [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    More importantly, you can just call him up, describe your ideal tone, (however strange,) and he'll nail it. Average price: $75-85 per pickup.

I have several sets of Vintage Vibe Pete Biltoft pickups and have used Lindy Fralins before him. Pete Biltoft builds the best pickups without a doubt. The customer service is almost too good to be true. The quality 1st order and the tone the best of all. With his background if you read his website he builds every part of the pickup except the magnets.He has surpassed Lollar with his attention to detail. There are no better pickups. Try some and you will never use anything else. He has earned his place at the head of the table with Fralins and Lollar the only ones that come close. Maybe a few others but Pete is the best. Try them before you try to rebute this claim and you will become enlightened. Thanks Pete for putting quality and tone first.

9. captcoolaid

captcoolaid Senior Member

Wow necro post. But good to know.

10. AJ6strinsgsting

AJ6strinsgsting Member

Killer over looked pick ups : Carvin M22SD, Dragon Fire Gold Vintage Screamers, Dragon Fire Screamers, Bill Lawrence L-250, Dragon Fire Hot Rails ( stacked Humbucker) and the GFS "Lil" Killer ( 15k ohms). :dude:

11. Paul86

Paul86 Senior Member

Bumping a very cool thread!

12. Mpcoluv

Mpcoluv Senior Member

In the early 90's I replaced the pickups in a 82 335 dot (PAT applied for sticker on the pickup rings) with Joe Bardens. They are high fi, but my mediocre playing did not sound any worse. I liked them. They cut right through the mix.
    Never sounded mushy. Clear and beefy.
    I bought them because Jimmy Thackery used a set in his V.
    Barden makes good (and expensive) pickups.
    For the money, the Bill Lawrence L-90 is a far better deal.

1 person likes this.
  13. st.bede

st.bede V.I.P. Member

I am bumping this because it came up in a Google search for me and it is cool to read.

4 people like this.
  14. entresz

entresz Senior Member

This is a great thread. It should be a sticky.

The Bill Lawrence L-90 is by far the best sounding humbucker I've used. Warm and smooth, but without any muddyness. Close voiced jazz chords (ala Johnny Smith) sound almost piano like on the low strings.

The Pete Biltoft stuff is superb, he made a floating Charlie Christian pickup for my Godin 5th Avenue. One of the most complex sounding pickups I've ever used. I would highly recommend anything he makes. The customer service was superb and the value for money is incredible IMO.

1 person likes this.
  15. kboman

kboman Senior Member

Two guys I think are deserving to be in this thread:

- The Creamery pickups from Manchester in the UK has a wide, varied and very interesting lineup. Jaime is a pleasure to deal with and the pickup I own (a Wide Range humbucker in standard humbucker size) is very good - the base sound is a bit clearer/flatter than your standard humbucker sound and the coil split sound is very good. Custom Guitars, Handwound Pickups - Made in Manchester - Creamery Guitars & Pickups

- Rautia pickups from Finland. His standard type pickups are well regarded but again, it's the specialy range that attracts me. I currently have a set of Bar-O-Casters in my main guitar: it's a humbucker made from one strat coil and one P90 coil and with a mini switch I can choose between either coil or full humbucking mode. Everything sounds very good and Veijo was very gracious in helping me decoding the wire colours despite me having bought the set second hand. handcrafted pickups & guitars - Home

1 person likes this.