10 Guitar Exercises for the Blues Pentatonic Scale

Discussion in 'Guitar Lessons' started by cefobe, Jun 6, 2011.

1. cefobe

cefobe Senior Member

10 Guitar Exercises for the Blues Pentatonic Scale - Guitar Lesson 3

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KvgIeQfwJwU]YouTube - ‪10 Guitar Exercises for the Blues Pentatonic Scale - Guitar Lesson 3‬‏[/ame]​

amoose55, artis_xe, Mark_F and 2 others like this.
  2. nat

nat Junior Member

Nice video thank you. I've just been exploring what I like the call the dominant pentatonic. Same as the major pent except for the fact that you substitute the sixth for the flat seventh.

3. cefobe

cefobe Senior Member

Many thanks :)

4. djlogan33

djlogan33 Senior Member

Below are all 5-boxes/shapes of the A-minor pentatonic.

I made one of these for every key, when I was first learning.'

I would play a slow 12-bar blues backtrack, in the key I was learning and played each box (mainly 1-3-5) over and over until I knew them.
    Then I would play the lower & upper octave of the each box.
    Then I would play bits and pieces of all the boxes up and down the neck.
    Being a "visual" person, seeing a picture of the pentatonic scales helped me.
    :jam::jam:
    [​IMG]

5. sj250

sj250 Senior Member

Can you put a larger version on Photobucket or something? That would be awesome!:thumb:

ThunderOne likes this.
  6. djlogan33

djlogan33 Senior Member

=====================================================
    Send me a private message with your email address.
    I will send you you multiple versions of the minor pentatonic scales in different keys, that I have created, in either a PDF or JPEG format.
    :jam::jam::jam:

7. sj250

sj250 Senior Member

Awesome man!! I really appreciate your willingness to share something you put so much work into!!:thumb:

trunghieu2882 likes this.
  8. Rev 48

Rev 48 Senior Member

Hey dj those are the best charts I have seen you can see everything in one pic
    Brilliant:applause:

9. lespaul01

lespaul01 Banned

Here is a bit bigger
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

10. djlogan33

djlogan33 Senior Member

=========================================================
    I needed all the help I could get.
    For years playing lead riffs, was like magic to me…

Then one day, I played a real slow 12-bar Blues backtrack in
    A-minor and tried playing the different notes in box-1 of a silly thing called a
    “minor pentatonic scale” and all of a sudden a BIG LIGHT came on…ha…ha…

Then on an Excel spreadsheet, I created a guitar neck with all the notes and started entering
    the different pentatonic boxes in different colors in all the keys.
    What use to be “magic” to me became easy…ha…ha…

Then I converted the Excel spreadsheets into PDF-files and JPEG-files to share them with folks.

Being an amateur artist and an IT-Manager (computer dude) allowed me the vision and skill set to do this stuff…ha…ha…

Just like anything else, I believe breaking things down in little pieces and making pictures of it make most things much easier…

EnjoGuitar likes this.
  11. Pavlos

Pavlos Senior Member

Fabulous vid, what is the guitar that is being used

12. cefobe

cefobe Senior Member

Thank you very much :)

13. db3266

db3266 V.I.P. Member

djlogan33 and cefobe, can you guys join forces and do a mjor blues scale diagram and major blues scale exercises? pretty pretty please !! and maybe throw in some Peter Green licks for good measure........ :)

14. cefobe

cefobe Senior Member

Thank you very much :)

Dorian Blues Scale - Guitar Exercises

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wvYfx9NsSog]YouTube - ‪Guitarra de Jazz para principiantes - Lección 13 - Dorian Blues Scale - Guitar Exercises‬‏[/ame]

Ionian Blues Scale - Guitar Exercises

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0-fU90aPomk]YouTube - ‪Guitarra de Jazz para principiantes - Lección 11 - Ionian Blues Scale - Guitar Exercises‬‏[/ame]

Como tocar la escala pentatónica para blues

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4wdyzUAsoC4]YouTube - ‪Clases de Guitarra para Principiantes - Como tocar la escala pentatónica para blues‬‏[/ame]

Como tocar la escala pentatónica cromática para blues

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CHkCxX3jDMU]YouTube - ‪Clases de Guitarra para Principiantes - Como tocar la escala pentatónica cromática para blues‬‏[/ame]

Ejemplos de las escalas de Blues para tocar Jazz

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lMJrcPBR-y8]YouTube - ‪Clases de Guitarra para Principiantes - Las escalas de Blues para tocar Jazz‬‏[/ame]

15. djlogan33

djlogan33 Senior Member

A MyLesPaul member emailed me and asked for a copy of my image of all the Minor Pentatonic scales shown on one sheet.
    I sent him the below note and image.

In case someone else would like to see it.....
    =========================================
    I cleaned it up a bit, in the Excel spreadsheet format, before converting it into an Adobe PDF file again.

Note:
    - image is showing only box 1, 3 & 5 of all the minor pentatonic scales
    - as you probably know, box-2 is part of box-1 & box-3 and box-4 is part of box-3 & box-5
    - There is a separate guitar neck for all of the main keys: Am, Bm, Cm, Dm, Em, Fm & Gm.
    - box-1 on all necks/keys are yellow,
    - box-3 on all necks/keys are green,
    - box-5 on all necks/keys are purple
    - since box-1 and box-5 share some of the same notes at the same fret, you will notice some of the notes of a couple of the box-5's are yellow and not purple. I play box-1 & Box-5 together many times as one BIG box...

Again, once I made myself these "cheat-sheets", playing pentatonic scales became much easier...

Enjoy...

[​IMG]

Manning likes this.
  16. db3266

db3266 V.I.P. Member

So what does the Major Blues scale look like?

If anyone has a basic intro to Major Blues scales it would help me a great deal.

17. djlogan33

djlogan33 Senior Member

=====================================================
    The MAJOR pentatonic scales is exactly the same the MINOR pentatonic scale THREE frets down the neck.

Example shown below:

[​IMG]

18. db3266

db3266 V.I.P. Member

Thanks.

I was once told that there is

1. Major
    2. Minor
    3. Blues

and that within Blues, there are (amongst others)

4. Major
    5. Minor

Are you're diagrams showing the 1.Major and 2.Minor scales (pentatonic)?

What would be the Minor Blues and Major Blues scales? The Minor Blues has the sharp 4th (the blue note) which can be easily fitted into the 2.Minor Pentatonic Scale.

If I ghost in the Major notes from the Major Pentatonic into the Minor Pentatonic, does this give me all I need to mix major and minor blues?

This sort of stuff really confused me. I play and learn much better by listen, watch repeat type of learning rather than trying to get my head around the notes in the scales (my approach is probably all wrong, but it's the only way I have ever done it and it is a hard habbit to break).

What irritates the hell out of me is listening to Peter Green and it sounding so simple, yet when I try and get the notes dow,, I find myslef lost in knowing what scale/position to play in, but once I watch someone do it, I can play it. So, I can play, but it seems I don't have the ability to learn it on my own. It bugs the crap out of me.

The intro to this...

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cYVJDaksTeU&feature=player_embedded[/ame]

(and I mean the first few notes), is;

10 on the B, 13 on the B bent full, 13 on the B, 10 on the B, 12G, 12 on the G full bend with vibrato.............then 12D, 12G, 12D, 10G...12A..12G h/o 14G,, 10G, 12D p/o 10D, 12A, 10A slide down through 9A to 8A

(then I get a bit lost on the next bit).

But, my point being, I have no idea if I am meant to be playing D Minor Pentatonic or F Major Pentatonic, and hence get mighty confused.

Now, if someone showed me how to play the song, I have no doubt I could copy them and play it.

19. djlogan33

djlogan33 Senior Member

======================================================
    U R correct.
    The blues scale is simply a minor pentatonic scale with an added note (which happens to be the b5 note or #4 note of the minor pentatonic).

Below is an example of Box-1 of G-minor BLUES Pentatonic.
    It is the same as G-minor Pentatonic, but with a couple added notes to make it sound more bluesy, C# in this example.
    Each Box has similiar added notes.
    In other words, minor & blues pentatonic scales are basically the same.

[​IMG]

20. Sean0913

Sean0913 Member

How would that work as a Dominant Pentatonic exactly? The b7 is the charactoristic note of the Dominant along wth a Major triad.

I'd tend to see something lke a Pentatonic Minor substituting a Major 3rd for the Minor 3rd. The b7 is already present in the Minor Pentatonic

So if C Eb F G and Bb are my notes in the minor form version, I'd raise the Eb to an E. Now I have my Major 3rd, the only interval from the root that establishes it's major/minor nature in a triad, and my b7 (Bb).

In blues this is commonly used as a flavor note and passing tone when played against or from the Minor 3rd, So, for example a hammer on lick from Eb to E (Major 3rd used as a passing tone) and then to G, is very bluesy.

Of course you can also get a nice open intervalic sound in other styles by using the Major 3rd in place of the minor 3rd all together, and then leading to the 4th, which gives a nice melodic allusion to a Major to suspended 4 chord move.

Best,

Sean