$10,000 Ibanez

Discussion in 'Other Guitars' started by EL-34, Dec 13, 2017.

1. moreles

moreles Senior Member

At $10K, there is no carved monkey grip. What you get instead is an actual monkey who is trained to carry your guitar around for you. A few random points: that "tree of life" could not be more boring. It's doubtless mass produced both in cutting the shapes and routing the fretboard -- it's just an instant, automated hunk of pointless bling. The massively overpriced collector's guitars are a "thing" for most makers. Heaven knows that Gibson has been hawking those for ages. I intensely dislike the idea of guitar collections, where the basic principle is imply to own stuff that other people don't have, simply for the unhealthy, non-musical "pleasure" of ownership. Martin wins the all time trophy for the most disgusting example of this in its 2 Million Martin clock abortion. Ibanez is just joining the club. I do like the Zemaitis ripoff metal engraving on the 10th ann. model, though where I work we have a laser engraver that can produce that stuff for just about zero dollars.

2. HCRoadie

HCRoadie Senior Member

As I am sure you know, Zemaitis did not invent metal etching, or even the patterns that he uses. If you look to firearms, especially side-by-side shot guns, swords, armour, cups and plates, the process and look are the same. The technique goes back to the Middle Ages. It was even used in print making. So they are both using a process, weather it is with laser engraving or acid washing, that is almost as common as wood carving. Now granted Zemaitis is credited with being the first to apply the technique to guitar tops, but he was "ripping off" Daniel Hopfer (circa 1470–1536) of Augsburg, Germany. Sorry for the rant and thread detour

3. moreles

moreles Senior Member

Yowsers, HC Roadie -- didn't mean to set you off. I'm completely aware that Danny O'Brien did the engraving for Tony Zemaitis, and I am very well aware of the tradition of gun engraving, currency engraving, and engraving in general, since I am schooled in the graphic arts and an engraver myself. I just called it "Zemaitis engraving" so that anyone reading to post would identify the objects I was talking about! I didn't mean it was an innovation -- just that I thin it looks cool.

northernguitarguy likes this.
  4. dsmcl77

dsmcl77 Senior Member

If Ibanez is producing $10K guitars, it is because some out there are ready to buy them. So why not. Even if I find this a bit ridiculous.

I, would not buy any guitar over $1500. But one can spend his money as he wish.

northernguitarguy likes this.
  5. HCRoadie

HCRoadie Senior Member

Sorry dude. I did not mean to get all fired up like that. I also like the way the Ibanez and the Zemaitais look. I think they are great applications of an art form not usually seen on guitars.