“Hired Gun” on Netflix

Discussion in 'The Backstage' started by Dilemma, Dec 26, 2017.

1. Dilemma

Dilemma Loud Pipes Ruin Naps Premium Member

MikeyTheCat maybe it's not your intent but you're sounding like an BJ apologist. Stop being a BJ apologist. Yeah, we all understand these guys are hired hands. But there's a little thing called common courtesy too. Joel and anyone else that hires out work owes the people in their employ common courtesy.

2. Mr Insane

Mr Insane Senior Member

Even if he told them they were just his employees and treated them that way from the beginning, he still shouldn't have blind sited them like that. Playing for him was how they made their living, for him to get rid of their jobs without any warning was an ass hat move. I have stronger words to say, but there are censors on this forum.

3. MikeyTheCat

MikeyTheCat Senior Member

If I’m coming across as a Billy Joel apologist then so be it, but my friends and myself had minor personal experiences with Joels antics in CSH, Huntington and Syosett and he could be an ass hat at times. I agree that there are bad ways to handle things and good ways, and BJ’s choices wouldn’t have been mine, but if what he did was so wrong why did LibertY DeVitto stick around and continued to play with BJ after the other guys were let go and I believe one committed suicide?Reason number one was likely he liked the cash flow.
    BJ has also employed the same road crew for 40 years, so he’s loyal to someone.
    Common courtisty is nice but it’s not a law, especially in the music business. Hired Gun is a great precautionary story for anyone looking to make a go of music, and he who has his name on the albums and marquee is the guy who holds the cards.

4. Dilemma

Nope. It’s not a law. It’s also a whole lot of what’s wrong today. YMMV.

5. Tobin1634

Tobin1634 Senior Member

I agree its a really great precautionary tale and of course those guys were simply employees and he didn't owe them any future employ, but you would think it would have been handled differently. Making music with people is a special thing and to do it for as long as they did is even more special, just proves what kind of guy he is all...

6. kfowler8

kfowler8 Senior Member

Like most things in life, it's not what you say but how you say it. The guitarist from NiN and Filter came across as a complete ass as well.

7. LP121

LP121 Senior Member

Mikey, you're right about this. Technically. But I think it's an asshat move to let a guy who thinks he works for you find out he doesn't because he heard on the radio that you have a new album coming out next week. Phone call. Easy. How a professional does it.

Every body else in that doc who lost their gig found out in person, on the phone, or by mail. BJ is an asshat.

freebyrd 69, Mr Insane and Dilemma like this.
  8. MikeyTheCat

Define works for Billy Joel. Did the guys get paid only while touring and recording, did they get a retainer to stay available during the down time; or did they get a weekly check no matter if they toured or not from BJ Inc? If they were just paid to play then he really didn't need to inform them that they were fired because technically they weren't fired but just not asked to tour as they weren't working for him at the time.
    This isn't uncommon with touring bands and the musicians need to always keep that in mind. It kind of sucks but it's the way this kind of thing works.

9. MikeyTheCat

THDNUT likes this.
  10. LP121

LP121 Senior Member

A phone call. That's it. Common courtesy.

Mr Insane and Dilemma like this.
  11. Dilemma

We get it, that's just the way it is.
    Regardless of 'the way it is' the way it is sucks dick and BJ is still an assmuncher for not so much as a courtesy call. See Cat, when we accept this behavior as 'the way it is' we ALLOW people to treat others like shit and if we're not careful it becomes the way it is.

12. Jymbopalyse

Jymbopalyse Senior Member

I bet William Goldsmith thinks the same thing about Dave Grohl.

Shred Astaire and LP121 like this.
  13. LP121

LP121 Senior Member

There's plenty of asshats in the music business. This one happened to feature very prominently in this documentary. :laugh2:

14. MikeyTheCat

It is the way it is in a lot of show biz, and as far as I know Billy Joel really doesn't care what we think. Like I said, it's not how I'd do business but I've been on the end where I wasn't asked to join my usual band for a series of gigs when they wanted to try someone new when backing up an out of state singer. I didn't get a call, I just didn't get the call to join them. After those gigs the other guy was gone and I was back in (even though I was never really out), and I later backed up that same out of state singer when he wanted someone who rocked harder than the other guy. Yeah, it kind of sucks, but you have to be ready for it and ready to go at it again.

Now that's a profile in courage.

15. Dilemma

Christ on a Cracker. We get it already OK?

Jesus,,,

LP121 and Mr Insane like this.
  16. MikeyTheCat

Do you? Do you really? :D

17. coupe89

coupe89 Senior Member

MikeyTheCat, kfowler8 and Jymbopalyse like this.
  18. rogue3

rogue3 Senior Member

wow.Don't waste your time on something else and watch this! I'm a third of the way through,and watching in bits and pieces...Kenny Aronoff! dude,what an amazing drummer.potent stuff.highly recommend.

19. Bluesky

Bluesky Senior Member

That was cool. Very interesting. I loved the Steve Lukather story about helping to write that George Benson tune.......LOL. He left to take a shit.........then I take a deuce and Voila! I had the second verse...........:iough:

20. freebyrd 69

freebyrd 69 Silver Supporter Premium Member

It's pretty plain to see from the documentary that, ESPECIALLY in Joel's case, these guys, ESPECIALLY Devitto, helped create the music and make them hits. So for that, yeah, there is something more to it than say, Phil X playing with Bon Jovi. He (and the others) were key ingredients in the pot. Billy Joel sucks anyway, but the band was pretty damned good. He owed a lot more to them for carrying his sorry ass, and at least attempting to make his garbage listenable.

LP121 likes this.