“Hired Gun” on Netflix

Discussion in 'The Backstage' started by Dilemma, Dec 26, 2017.

1. Dilemma

Dilemma Loud Pipes Ruin Naps Premium Member

A documentary film about session and touring musicians that are hired by well established and famous bands and artists like Metallica, KISS, and Billy Joel. These hired guns may not be household names, but are still masters of their craft.

If you’ve got Netflix this is well worth your time. Billy Joel is a twat BTW.

Attached Files:

LPV, Jer, Stevie 202 and 11 others like this.
  2. Pennyman

Pennyman Senior Member

3. JohnnyN

JohnnyN Old School Premium Member

Yeah good stuff, and I agree with your view on Billy Joel :)

DADGAD likes this.
  4. Bluesky

Bluesky Premium Member

Awesome. I finally have a week off after the new year, thats at the top of the list now. :dude:

5. TheWGuitar

TheWGuitar Senior Member

We were talking about this documentary on a previous thread earlier in the month, and that was the general consensus between everybody in that thread too...Billy Joel is a total ass.

JohnnyN likes this.
  6. LP121

LP121 Senior Member

Just finished watching this. Dilemma's right, Billy Joel is a weapons grade asshat.

Alice Cooper, on the other hand, seems like a pretty decent guy.

landguitar, DADGAD and Dilemma like this.
  7. Ermghoti

Ermghoti Senior Member

Just happened to catch this last night. Billy Joel is a rumpswab. I'd heard bits of that story, but laid out end to end like that... yeesh.

8. MikeyTheCat

MikeyTheCat Senior Member

Years back when BJ still lived in or around CSH we'd see him and Christy Brinkley around all the time. Guy was a mixed bag.

9. Mr Insane

Mr Insane Senior Member

I was never a big fan of Five Finger Death Punch, but the guitarist seems like a pretty cool dude. "Let's go scare the kids." That was probably my favorite line.

Who and rockstar232007 like this.
  10. rockstar232007

rockstar232007 Senior Member

Always thought BJ was a douche, watching that just confirmed it.

No surprise why Christy Brinkley divorced him. That, and he's weird looking.

11. 2manyGuitars

2manyGuitars Senior Member

After having the same group of VERY talented musician back him from literally square, decided that when there was big money on the line...

[​IMG]

12. MikeyTheCat

You can do that when you're the employer.

Who likes this.
  13. MikeyTheCat

And the lesson is, be the employer. And also save your money while you can keep working.

Excellent lesson in how to be a working musician.

14. LP121

LP121 Senior Member

BJ had a band and they were brothers, they were family, till Billy got all "rock star". He realized his name was on the thing and told the others they could go fuck themselves.

Hell, when he fired them, he didn't have the balls to tell them. they found out when a new album came out.

Frankie S. likes this.
  15. Ermghoti

Ermghoti Senior Member

The ONLY thing I can say in his defense is that he reversed direction after getting thoroughly robbed by a manager, so he apparently got paranoid about real and imagined hands in his pockets. Still, he had gone from telling a label "you don't get me without my band" to just not calling them for the next show.

Who and LP121 like this.
  16. MikeyTheCat

And that's the way it goes. I can be let go from my job at anytime, musicians aren't special or a protected class.
    When it comes to women and management, Joel isn't the sharpest knife in the draw.
    https://pagesix.com/2014/10/26/how-billy-joels-three-wives-stole-his-heart-and-his-money/

LP121 likes this.
  17. LP121

LP121 Senior Member

True, but you don't treat "family" like that. Hence, he's an asshat. Like I said, he couldn't even pick up a phone to tell them.

Mr Insane likes this.
  18. MikeyTheCat

But they weren't family, his family was too busy screwing him over. There are very few bands that are like U2 and Rush where everyone gets an equal cut. Joel's band was treated really well until the situation changed. Same thing happened to Hook when he was on retainer to Mandy Moore until he wasn't.
    At least he didn't treat his band like Trent Reznor did the the guy who left NiN to start his own band where he could do the same to his band mates.

19. LP121

LP121 Senior Member

They were family. Nobody in the band was screwing him over. When that happened, he turned on everybody.

He went from "You don't get me without my band" to "I don't even owe these guys a phone call".

Mr Insane likes this.
  20. MikeyTheCat

And I believe that's what the show was about. The title is Hired Gun (not we are family), and I thought they did a great job of talking about the up and downsides of being one. Bon Jovi all work for John, Slash and Duff work for Axl, and it goes on. That's the nature of the business, and if you're a full time musician you need to make sure that you stay working so you have income.