¿¿Where did this guy come out from??

Discussion in 'The Backstage' started by nicolasrivera, Nov 25, 2010.

1. nicolasrivera

nicolasrivera Senior Member

Yeah, i know what you mean. I remember i had shared feeling about many guitar players, but just reaching into there history and knowing what contributions they have on the overall guitar history makes me have a more open mind to there style and way of expressing there souls.

2. Malikon

Malikon アストロモンスター V.I.P. Member

it's really sad how quick people are to say a proficient guitarist is "soul less." It's even sadder how many people only seem to be able to relate to "Feelings" when it's in a small little genre of music, like blues, or rock.

I've never heard music that didn't have emotion or feeling. Even Techno.

In my opinion it's not that music doesn't have feeling, it's that people don't listen. They're too busy critiquing and condemning, instead of just opening their mind and listening.

Luckily it seems to just be something that's pretty much limited to just guitarists. Other musicians, actual musicians, listen to music with an open mind and an open heart. They don't hate on someone just because they can do something different then them.

Guitarists.....man. It's like, all ego and competition sometimes.

Tosin Abasi is brilliant. If you don't get it, you don't get it. But that doesn't mean there's nothing there.

I know this is an older thread. But it still amazes me sometimes how people can hear an incredibly gifted musician, and just fill the thread with hate and vitriol.

3. Rankelson

Rankelson Senior Member

This young man is a musical genius
    he is Chopin,reincarnated and playing guitar
    I am all for Soul and spine tingling vibrato
    but only blinkered bitterness can deny this young mans' genius
    This is my first listen BTW

4. Phil47uk

Phil47uk Senior Member

Well, as I have said many times, it's a matter of personal preference. Personally all that sort of stuff leaves me cold.

Why do guitarists always seem to get jokers like this as tutors.:laugh2:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hb5QaCfm7bg]Guitar Lesson - Speed Kills - No Boundaries - YouTube[/ame]

I more inclined these days to look for inspiration from tutors of other instruments, who's whole world doesn't seem taken up with soley how many notes you can play and the last one home gets a bag of peanuts.

There's much to be learned about musical content by great players like Tortelier.
    Ok it's not rock guitar but phrasing and dynamics are universal within music. It's such a pity that you'll never hardly see a lesson for guitar with great analogies like he uses, re phrasing etc.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gRZq8-lQ16g&feature=related]Master class Tortelier 5/12 Dvorak Cello concerto - YouTube[/ame]

Or the great Vengarov.. These guys have larger than life personalities and boy does it show and reflect on their pupils.

As one of the pupils says about Vengarov " He has such a beautiful sound and he has so many different kinds of sound and character and many different characters". Something I'm afraid I very rarely hear watching most you-tube instructional vids for guitar, which is a pity.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B_eZKEyDO5M&feature=related]Vengerov. Master[/ame]

5. Shred Astaire

Shred Astaire Senior Member

6. Malikon

Malikon アストロモンスター V.I.P. Member

Michael Angelo's whole "schtick" is fitting as many notes as possible into a measure. However not all shredders are like that. It's really just his thing.

Michael Angelo
    Yngwie Malmsteen
    Tosin Abasi

All sound incredibly different from each other.

Unless you only hear speed and your brain immediately overloads.

Shredding, like every other genre of music, has it's brilliant practitioners, and it also has it's wankers.

If you like instrumental music, or classical music, then I'd think you'd appreciate Tosin Abasi or Yngwie.

a good musician is a good musician,.....even if they do it on a guitar. :)

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R098zbkoPxE]Animals as Leaders -Tempting Time - YouTube[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n-77MjLo1gM&feature=related]Yngwie Malmsteen - Allegro Adagio - YouTube[/ame]

Shred Astaire likes this.
  7. AngryHatter

AngryHatter Senior Member

Meh
    Offer to relic his guitar - see what he says.

8. Tanner

Tanner Senior Member

Malikon

This is why you're one of my favorite dudes on this board

9. KP

KP Senior Member

ALT+1+6+8 (numbers on the number pad, not the top number keys) all pressed at the same time.

¿¿¿

Malikon likes this.