¿¿Where did this guy come out from??

Discussion in 'The Backstage' started by nicolasrivera, Nov 25, 2010.

1. a Mad Cow

a Mad Cow Senior Member

He really is a great player. Been watching his vids for a while now, young buck too.

2. mcmurray

mcmurray Senior Member

:thumb:

Very nice indeed. Love the nylon string solo, it's pure class.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H1q03GuQyvQ[/ame]

3. nicolasrivera

nicolasrivera Senior Member

4. moff40

moff40 Senior Member

Yawn. It's just chords. Where's the melody? No, wait...a solo....meh, generic, spaghetti western stuff. No imagination required.

5. stevie777

stevie777 Senior Member

utter shite!!!

6. Splattle101

Splattle101 V.I.P. Member

Yeah, that's how I feel about a lot of John Coltrane. I'm not sure if he's having a lend or whether I just don't get it. Or maybe I just don't get it yet.

But yes, I was not moved by the sounds. I was impressed with the technical possibilities, though.

7. fellowmetalfan

fellowmetalfan Member

Mr. Abasi is truly a great player...and an innovative one too! Animals as leaders is basically a solo project with other musicians joining Mr. Abasi live...check out His first self titled album! This is produced by bulb (guitarist/ producer to the band periphery) who is another stunning player of innovative good metal music! nice to see that you are getting on the "evil" side, claiming that technically masterful musicians could still produce good music:)

On the soul vs technically skilled argument: please someboday somehow prove me why masterful skills and soulful playing mutually exclude each other...it simply is a huge,huge misconcept!!! so far it has never happened that a technical wizard was labelled soulful by those who usually reject bucket / abasi etc...how could this be???? the only plausible answer is that this is utter bullshit!!!!! you confuse soulfulness with "easy to digest music"

Malikon likes this.
  8. fellowmetalfan

fellowmetalfan Member

for your information: Animals As Leaders' self-titled debut was released in 2009 to waves of critical acclaim Legendary guitarist Steve Vai recently commented on Abasi and Animals As Leaders: "When I first heard Animals As Leaders, I felt as though at last, I was hearing the future of creative, heavy virtuoso guitar playing. It's quite amazing."

9. Malikon

Malikon アストロモンスター V.I.P. Member

It's dropped E. He tunes the low F# string down a step, so basically his low string is a bass E string.

E, B, E, A, D, G, B, E

He's got a couple records out. With his first band Reflux out of D.C. and now with Animals as Leaders (his solo project) under the Prosthetic Records company. A hard company to get a deal with.

I hear a lot of melody in what he does. The intro for Waves of Babies is pretty beautiful and is a really interesting mix of jazz chords and aggressive technique. He doesn't bend, rarely vibratos, but that's not his thing. He's basically an extremely heavy and aggressive jazz guitarist. It's actually pretty brilliant and original, though I can understand how it wouldn't be for every one.

To pass him off as a mindless shredder completely misses the point of what it is he does.

10. fellowmetalfan

fellowmetalfan Member

8 stringers are not designed for bending at all...otherwise I quite concur with what you have written! have you seen the new CAFO videoclip...it very much matches the song!!!

11. Malikon

Malikon アストロモンスター V.I.P. Member

No I haven't seen that video clip I don't think. I pretty much stumbled across him about 6 months ago when I was trying to find very aggressive jazz guitarists. He (Tosin Abasi) really stands out, he's really doing something new.

Ironically the progressive death metal guys seem to be the ones who really 'get' what it is he's trying to do.

For some reason when you're looking up the most forward thinking, envelope pushing musicians, you find yourself more often then not in progressive death metal land. I'm really starting to think the most modern and aggressive jazz,......is new progressive death metal.

'The Faceless' in particular are just ridiculous with some of the things they do.

12. fellowmetalfan

fellowmetalfan Member

Faceless I have not heard of will check them.....to me Tosin Abasi is a refined version of meshuggah, with more jazz features, I very much liked the solo project of the meshuggah guitarist (sol niger within) which was so much ahead of its time as it already ventured the Abasi land back in '97!!!!...nowadays I listen to Periphery, Animals as Leaders and Scale the Summit (who are not extreme at all) a lot...they are all standing out from the crowd

13. Tanner

Tanner Senior Member

Bump...

I'm in love with this guy's playing and work

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NmfzWpp0hMc&feature=fvwp&NR=1[/ame]

Rankelson, Malikon and nicolasrivera like this.
  14. duck2k

duck2k Senior Member

While I think the gentleman has amazing technique - I still need soul. BB King or Eric Clapton can play (and bend a note), that can make you jump for joy, or have you in tears.

Don't get me wrong this man is amazing to watch.:)

15. nbeersiii

nbeersiii Banned

Just like BB king. Never liked him and dont know why people worship that dude. Way Way better blues players than him.

Tanner likes this.
  16. duck2k

duck2k Senior Member

But if it were not for him, Muddy Waters, John Lee Hooker, Buddy Guy, Albert King; even Robert Johnson, or Leadbelly - you do not have those fantastic blues players. Many of those blues players are blues guitarists and not 'bluesmen' IMHO:)

17. River

River Senior Member

More importantly, how did you get your question marks upside-down? I thought only Blue Oyster Cult and major book publishers did that shit.

18. River

River Senior Member

Are not.

nicolasrivera likes this.
  19. nicolasrivera

nicolasrivera Senior Member

Well, he has invented a lot of licks used in todays guitar playing beyond the blues gender and the man can sing with soul, thats what brings out all the emotions in the audience and thats why he is loved by millions and respected by billions.

20. nbeersiii

nbeersiii Banned

Its really his guitar playing that im not impressed with. Not saying that he sucks it just doesnt hold a candle to others like howlin wolf man that dude had some licks. BB just seems generic and boring to me. Im not a shred guy either so im not defending that but I do enjoy some of it for a minute or two cant listen to it long though. It is impressive though. Just not really for my ears.