¿¿Where did this guy come out from??

Discussion in 'The Backstage' started by nicolasrivera, Nov 25, 2010.

1. nicolasrivera

nicolasrivera Senior Member

He is for sure a great act to watch, just to se those 8 strings in that HUGE neck.

2. twinrider1

twinrider1 Senior Member

Worst Mississippi Queen cover I've ever heard. :D

Watched a few of his clips....I appreciate the mechanical, mathematical beauty in it. But it doesn't really move me.

3. Dogsy

Dogsy Senior Member

I also found it different, in the same way I would find bacon and tomato flavoued ice cream different.

4. Skintaster

Skintaster V.I.P. Member

I don't know... I think he's a pretty amazing player, and is doing something interesting with the shred/instrumental style.

5. Grey

Grey Senior Member

Same old nonsense, technically proficient and good music are not mutually exclusive, that's why he has a Myspace page and not a record deal. It's impressive but I can count the number of people who'd want to listen to an album of it on one hand.

I've said it before and i'll say it again, Technicall Skill and Creativity are on two different playing fields. Anybody can learn to do what he does, what one man can do another can do. I firmly believe that. Creating something wholly origional that makes people sell out your concerts is another matter, although with today's dime-a-dozen radio 'hits' that statement may be getting less true.

6. refin

refin V.I.P. Member

I think if you like what was/is classified as "jazz-fusion",then it would be a treat.Definitely some chops and technique,alot of practice there!--but nothing moved me on an emotional scale.Maybe he's just way beyond what I prefer.

I used to teach in the next room over from this guy---he is currently with Korn.Shane is sick,and a great guy.
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XIKGzh_t_R8]YouTube - shane gibson[/ame]

7. GuitarDean

GuitarDean Senior Member

8. mcmurray

mcmurray Senior Member

Stop embarrassing yourself.

9. ledfloyd

ledfloyd Senior Member

:thumb: +1,000,000

10. nicolasrivera

nicolasrivera Senior Member

:laugh2::laugh2::laugh2::laugh2:

Yeah right, like i care.....

11. moff40

moff40 Senior Member

I have to agree. This guy reminds me of an 8-string version of Tony McAlpine or Yngwie Malmsteen, or any of the other fairly generic and mostly forgotten "innovators" from the '80s. All speed and no feel. To paraphrase myself, he's using a lot of big words but saying nothing.

12. dougk

dougk Senior Member

If you like Tobin check out Charlie Hunter too. Charlie's AMAZING with lots of technical skill, soul and groove.

13. darkr_reaver

darkr_reaver Senior Member

I sense some hostility towards the metal players here... Lol...

I honestly dislike metal and most players in that genre, but this guy, I like him. There's something very cool about the guy, I don't think his stuff is soul-less. Its something of a rollercoaster...

14. loneguitar

loneguitar Senior Member

+1 on that, more feeling in those notes then most say in a complete album.

15. es345guy

es345guy Senior Member

Love Charlie. Seen him many times and it always is a treat. Dude is the man when it comes to the 8 string guitar and a very nice dude to talk to. Charlie makes beautiful music and is off the chart when it comes to technical proficiency.

16. cynic79

cynic79 Senior Member

Charlie's a monster player, but he has much more restraint than the average shredder.

Tobin exhibits some really fantastic chops, and there are some truly amazing moments in that first piece, but on the whole it's just not a style of music that thrills me.

17. dougk

dougk Senior Member

Yep absolutely! Honestly I had never heard of Charlie till my wife's english department got us tickets to see him as a wedding gift. I think it took weeks for me to pick my jaw back up after seeing him play :laugh2: AMAZING

edit: just bought tickets to see him again at Yoshi's in Oakland next saturday!

18. Chicago John

Chicago John Senior Member

This Almasi guy is technically great, he's really learned his instrument well. I agree his work seems to be missing melody and he's kind of all over the place, but he's also very, very young. He reminds me of a young EVH, give this guy a little time...

19. moff40

moff40 Senior Member

I think early EHV displayed much more soul than this. Even on Van Halen 1, you could see that Eddie clearly had a basis in the blues. He took that basis and expanded on it, played outside of it, using a lot of chromatics and techniques that hadn't been combined that way before. That's what got the band signed. But despite the fact that he used a lot of notes, he was still able to "say" something.

Almasi doesn't do that. He's using all of the tricks his guitar teacher(s) showed him, and laying them all out before you in one fell swoop. And while those finger excercises are technically well executed, it has no real musicality or substance. It doesn't matter how big your vocabulary is if you don't actually form cohesive sentences and paragraphs.

I've always preferred emotion and feel (soul) to lots of notes. The guitarist has to be able to speak to me, has to be able to make me feel something. David Gilmour is still one of my favourites, if only for his incomparable feel (and his tone), but so is Steve Vai, who can shred in a heartbeat, but can also emote.

And there's the key. I've said it before: It doesn't matter how fast you are or how well you can sweep-pick a phryigian arpeggio. If you can't emote, you've got nothing.

20. es345guy

es345guy Senior Member

Doug, I had some friends drag me to one of his shows and it was during his Duo Tour. Just him and a drummer and it was unreal. Caught him on the trio tour with the addition of John Ellis (bad ass sax player) and a different drummer and they just killed it. I love his music. Enjoy the show at Yoshi's -he seems to play there a lot. When Charlie was a kid his mom fixed guitars for a living and he took lessons from Joe Satriani (he had around 100 students in the area).