´68 Custom_Dirty

Discussion in 'Historics & Reissues' started by Naga, Jan 6, 2012.

1. Naga

Naga Member

Custom 68's has been under discussion here, and I wanted to show mine. Possibly a bit special one that I found used from Tokyo (and even managed to haggle the price down to 220000yen, very low for japanese LP's by my understanding).

Namely, it is a Custom Authentic ´03, and equipped with Dirty Fingers, chromed metallic pup rings, silver pickguard and poker chip. The documentation mentions ´dirty´, so I believe it came out from factory like that. It seemed to me that it is some japanese John Sykes version. He seems to be big there, all lawsuit manufacturer seemed to have similarly equipped version.

However, first I removed the mirrored parts (as in first pictures), and then changed the rings to stock Gibsons.

Dirty fingers looked amazing on this guitar, as "rraawwkk" and "kerrang" as you can find. However, while also sounding a bit like that, but also way too muddy like the sound were coming from underground, so I had to change them to Lollars with aged covers. All special parts are on my drawer, naturally.

What do yo like guys, which incarnation you liked the most!

Attached Files:

1 person likes this.
  2. Naga

Naga Member

Here are some pics as the guitar is now, with the Lollars attached. I did no care to put a pickguard there... excusez-moi for showing my feet...

I still plan to get the brass nut changed. I believe the sound will be much better than it is now, and the guitar should also start to stay in tune...

Attached Files:

2 people like this.
  3. Naga

Naga Member

Ummm, such a strong start for this thread, posting the 2 first replies by myself...

The stamping on Dirty Fingers are interesting, as the guitar was manufactured 14 years later...

And it came with 2 bridges. The fat one was attached, and the slim one had "Germany" reading on the cast. Could the guitar have come out with 2 bridges?

4. jaykaybi

jaykaybi Member

Uncovered pups, black rings. The 4th pic in your first post. Oh so very 'yes'.

1 person likes this.
  5. neuronic

neuronic Senior Member

Great socks... :applause:

No, seriously, don't go for the chrome look, keep it simple, keep it classy, keep it black.
    I'm curious: how much does she weigh?

6. Naga

Naga Member

Let's say that it weights enough, I assume 5kg... playing it is a sport in itself!

1 person likes this.
  7. roodyrocker

roodyrocker Senior Member

Not sure what to make of the Dirty Fingers part. Perhaps its something that was switched out in Japan? As for which look, I prefer the very first picture. I modded my 68 RI a while back to look very similar to that except I used a combination of Stainless Steel and Chrome and the pickups are Suhr Doug Aldrichs:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Rudy

5 people like this.
  8. Naga

Naga Member

Rudy, nice to see someone doing it the other way around!

I think my guitar came from factory like it was in the 1st picture with the Dirty Fingers, or it was modded by Japanese distributor. When I bought it was in perfect condition, with heavily aged bridge and tuners, but perfect paint condition.
    It was a shame I did not take any pictures of the guitar in a condition I bought it.

But it was definitely me who has changed it back to std Custom&Authentic!

9. roodyrocker

roodyrocker Senior Member

Congrats Naga, yours looks nice either way! I'm just partial to the other look as you can tell :)

Rudy

10. Midnight Blues

Midnight Blues Premium Member

While I like them both, I'm a bit more of a traditionalist, hence, the new look.