´59 Burst - to hit the spot

Discussion in 'The Custom Shop' started by Igor, Mar 29, 2013.

1. Igor

Igor Member

hi everyone,

hopefully this is the right subforum for my topic: i play guitar for some years now & i dream of a Les Paul that looks, feels and (most important) sounds like a real ´59.

i am not a millionaire and most likely will never be one, so buying the real thing is not an option.

so, what to do:

- saving money for some Gibson Custom Shop ´59 CC reissues, replacing the burst- /custombuckers with some mojo-dripping pups, made by a man, who solved the riddle of the perfect PAF sound at the cost of his mental sanity. the pups are rare (of course)...an pricy.

- or going for some ultra-rare 80th MIJ Paulas, which are often referred as "the closest match next to the real thing". (i feel a controversy rising)

- maybe search for THAT luthier, who got a chunk of 100years old mahagony, as well as a matching piece of 5A ultra-flame maple wood...and the craftsmanship to transform into a ´59 (here as well will be the problem to find a "perfect PAF" pup...see above).

- or accept that my playing skills are mediocre at best, so why the f*** do i think that i deserve such a guitar?! buy a standard, put in a pair of bare knuckles "the mule" (or something similar), have a seat & be pleased :D

all the kidding aside, the hunt for my ´59 continues. i am not looking for guidence (nobody can tell how a "perfect" PAF/´59 should sound to me, except myself), but i am curious how YOU handle (or handled) this "problem".

what´s the story behind your ´59 (for those whose hunt already ended) & for all the others, still hunting like myself, what are your thoughts & how´s progress?

Cheers,

Igor

2. Supernova

Supernova Senior Member

Personally, I know I won't be happy until my hands are on a custom shop quality guitar in a very specific colour/flame etc...so ONE DAY I'll hire a luthier to build me MY dream lester, with MY perfect PAFS etc.

I'm strongly considering getting John Jagneaux to build me my lester. From what I understand and have read, ex CC employee, now building solo. Not one bad review and have heard from people his guitars are better than CC, and equal to if not better than Montys, Hubers etc for much less $$$

3. jcsk8

jcsk8 Senior Member

Probably the answer to that question relies on how much you can/want to spend.
    Putting that one my balance, my skills and needs I ended up with an old mij guitar. Going farther than that for me will be only for a hand made replica if someday I deiceid to go.

4. Igor

Igor Member

come on...need more stories :)

5. drugprowlingwolf

drugprowlingwolf Senior Member

Depends on your budget. If you're on a low budget, I'd opt for a Studio and just give it the 50s appointments that matter most: aluminum tailpiece, 500k pots, .022 pio caps, boutique paf style pickups, and a for the hell of it a bone nut.

I would personally do this to a nice MIJ like a Tokai LS-80. If you have even more money available, I'd just get a Historic. The new ones look bad ass.

6. Igor

Igor Member

Thanx for the suggestion, but (like i wrote) i am not looking for advice what to buy...i think there are enough threads like that.

Up to now my "dream brust", next to the "real thing", is a MIJ Paula, like a Greco EGF 1200, or such a thing.

I am interested what YOUR dream burst(s) are. If you are still hunting..what are you going to buy. And if you got yours allready, what did you buy?

7. Maxwell

Maxwell Senior Member

Duane_Allman_Les_Paul_DALLMAN_11_1.jpg

1 person likes this.
  8. drugprowlingwolf

drugprowlingwolf Senior Member

Ah, okay. I'm currently trying to trade/sell most of my gear for a Tokai LS-80. That's got everything I want in a guitar. All I have to do is add those nice pickups/hardware.

9. HopelessRomantics

HopelessRomantics Senior Member

I'm building my own Paulas + VL61HD paf replica....:thumb:

I think, that's my ideals :hmm:

10. Sicky101

Sicky101 Senior Member

I'm building a 59 Carved Top kit from Precision Guitar kits and putting everything in it that I need to satisfy myself.

11. Igor

Igor Member

Hmm...building your own...i should consider that :hmm:

12. ajory72

ajory72 Senior Member

Hi,

I guess we all go through the burst/vintage phase, hence coming to this forum to be with like minded individuals :)

I tried an epiphone (back in 2009 they were going for $800) as I wanted to try and capture Peter Green sound, with out of phase pups...... that didnt work too well, and I considered it must be the pups and thick layers of poly on the body muffling the mahogany "goodness"...

So I couldnt afford a real gibby so went and got a "replica" = I wont say where, but I put all the Gibson parts on it, and found it sounded better than the Epi but sustain wasn't there... i learnt a lot about building in the mean-time and replacing caps, pups, wiring, tuners, nut and tail pieces in an effort to get more sustain, which worked, and now its a good sounding guitar. Not burst quality but I am getting there.

Of course gettign a tube amp (1969 Plexi clone apparently) - went chinease, hand wired and it rocks, its A/B class pentode/triode with a switch that lets me choose 6 increments from 2 watt to 18 watts.

Now I have the sound, but its still not that burst qulity = close, can do BB king and very close burst sounds from 1970's but still not quite enough.

So.......

Ordered a 1959 kit from Precision Guitars, I chose to do the padle shapping myself and tuner holes, and got the 1950's style baseball bat neck so I can shape it myself and went with the 1954-5 wrap around tail peice ala' 1955 Gibson (no tune-o-matic)..

Not exactly burst, but I consider it to be very close, and love Blind Owl Wilsons sound as much as Peter Greens and Mike Bloomfield (who once had a 1955 Gold top too).

So, waiting on the guitar to arrive, have all the Gibby parts to make it authentic (as much as possible) and a tube amp to pump it through, i can control the neck and amount of laquer and will post in the luthier section how the build goes..

(Fingers crossed)

and that is my journey

(still lamenting a Axiom Goldtop I had when 15, saved for 1.5 years to get it and I wondered what "patent applied for" meant in 1987 when pulling it apart, I just thought they were slack......if only I could make a time machine!)

2 people like this.
  13. LeftyF2003

LeftyF2003 Premium Member

My dream '59 would be a Gil Yaron with an open book headstock. I would NEVER sell it.

2 people like this.
  14. ajory72

ajory72 Senior Member

Yes Gill has certanily spent the time and effort to get his late 1950's guitars (Gibson and Fenders) to the extreme of what is possible to be a true reproduction.

I just read one of his builds here on the forum 2 days ago - about his pick up rings, astounding attention to details and even posts the mistakes (through vendor selling him incorrect chemicals)....

Yep, Gil is the man it seems, and I would love to buy one of his bursts - unrelic'd (I would let time do that).

I always loved the idea of making a mid - late 1950's replica Gibson or Fender, something my grandchildren could say "yep, grandad built that back when cars had to use wheels!".......

2 people like this.
  15. Igor

Igor Member

looking forward to see the results :fingersx:

:hmm: Never crossed this name before. A quick look at the Google picture search showed some real beauties!

:thumb:

16. jcsk8

jcsk8 Senior Member

Probably a Gil Yaron one.

17. LeftyF2003

LeftyF2003 Premium Member

Yea, I wish I could have gotten one of his early builds before the price went up. Not that they're not worth what he gets for them. At the rate that he builds them he's not exactly getting rich.

And I agree - I would get one un-aged.

18. Igor

Igor Member

so...a 1980 Greco EGF 1200 crossed my way...and i was kind enough to give it new home :D

until now it is the closed match i had layed my hands on.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
    [​IMG]

19. silverkw

silverkw Senior Member

An 2013 Historic 58 reissue would be my next one.

Besides that I already have a 1981 Tokai LS-80, and a 2007 R7, which I refinished the top as it's actually a flame top. I'd say those are the best sounding Les Paul's I have had so far.

A nice replica like Gil Yaron or Tom Bartlett would be on my list for a perfect 59 next to the real thing though.

20. So What

So What Senior Member

The tone lies here:

[​IMG]