£3-400 to spend... Yes, it's another 'What Amp should I buy' thread!

Discussion in 'The Squawk Box' started by yossarian_lives, Mar 13, 2009.

1. yossarian_lives

yossarian_lives Member

Hi kids,

I am in the market for my first tube amp, I want something that I can play at home, but that will still be loud enough to take down the pub and compete with a heavy-handed drummer.

I am getting so confused over all the options! I have about £3-400 to spend. My options as I see them at the moment are:

1. Tiny terror head + cab. I love the sound of these, but am worried that it won't be loud enough, and also the lack of features (reverb, channel-switching) puts me off a bit.

2. Orange Dual terror - these are available now in the UK for £450 - which I could perhaps stretch to. Would probably have to find a cheap cab on ebay to run it through though.

3. A used Marshall JCM-something. I see loads of Marshalls on ebay from the small 1x12 combos upwards. I kind-of fancy a 2x12 combo - JCM2000 TSL perhaps? I like the Marshall sound a lot as well.

4. Something else?

Any advice gratefully received! You guys always seem to know what you're talking about.

Cheers,

Matt.

2. notoperational

notoperational MLP Sponsor

TT WILL be loud enough. Trust me. :)

3. JimBobTTD

JimBobTTD Senior Member

Find a cheap cab. Pref stereo.

Look for Marshall 9001 preamp and 9005 power amp. Make sure you get the 9001, as there was another preamp which was solid state.

It sounds great at low volume, and excellent at higher. 50 watts, stereo, three channels. It's the best amp I've ever used. The whole package weighs as much as a house but it's worth it!