£15 made all the difference!

Discussion in 'Tonefreaks' started by Apocalyptic, Jan 15, 2016.

1. Apocalyptic

Apocalyptic Senior Member

I just upgraded my wiring/pots and caps in my Vintage AFD Paradise. A great guitar but the wiring seemed to have room for improvement.
    I'm a lefty, which means the majority of my guitars come with a left handed wiring setup but with standard right hand pots and a lot of the time even right handed knobs.:(
    Frustrating to say the least. What I dislike is the backwards action of the knobs, and the poor tone control. Volume is fine but tone is like an on off switch with no effect until rolled off until the last 2 numbers when the tone goes instantly from bright to muffled.

So I decided to upgrade. Fitting Alpha pots but with an unorthodox setup of B500K for volume and A500k for tone. I added shielded earth wire and 0.47 Orange drop caps. And finally, wired RIGHT handed!:slash:

The difference has actually amazed me. I was sceptical about wiring upgrades but the guitar seems so much better now. The pickups have kicked into life and I have so much more control over the tone which was what I really wanted thanks to the audio taper pots.
    Also to note, when playing near my laptop I had a horrible "beeping" interference. Now gone, which I assume could be thanks to the shielded earth wiring.

Plus my knobs now work the correct way :shock:

I'm very happy with the upgrade for approx £15 in parts and a few hours work. I intend to apply the same mods to the rest of my collection!:dude:

2 people like this.
  2. bulletproof

bulletproof aka tarddoggy Premium Member V.I.P. Member

Its amazing what a little bit of wire and solder can do,man....very good to hear you got her all tuned up:thumb:

1 person likes this.
  3. LtKojak

LtKojak Senior Member

[​IMG]

As you can see, a B (Linear) pot for the volume and an A (Audio) for tone is what Gibson's been using on all electric guitars since...forever? ;)

HTH,

4. Apocalyptic

Apocalyptic Senior Member

Yes my mistake! Well, let's say unorthodox to my collection:laugh2:, as all 4 of my LP (or LP 'style') guitars came loaded with Linear pots for both tone and volume.

I've actually done the same today with my plustop pro and removed the coil split but I'm not liking the orange drops with the Probuckers.
    Way too much treble and very flat undefined low end. It's like playing two different guitars when going from the treble strings to the bass strings. Neck pickup now sounds more like a bridge. Weird.:hmm:

Sounds a lot better on the Vintage though so may try some other caps.