£1,500 for an Epiphone LP Black Beauty

Discussion in 'Epiphone Les Pauls' started by MrGansburg, Nov 26, 2013.

1. MrGansburg

MrGansburg Senior Member

2 people like this.
  2. paruwi

paruwi Kraut-Rocker Super Mod Premium Member

1 person likes this.
  3. TheAce93

TheAce93 Senior Member

Without even clicking on the thread I knew it was going to be that "relic'd" piece of crap that has been on eBay for the past year or so. :hmm:

Artificial ageing is bollocks, and not the dog kind either.

4 people like this.
  4. MrGansburg

MrGansburg Senior Member

5. upl8tr

upl8tr Senior Member

That has to be a shill bid or some kind of scam I've not yet heard of? :hmm:

6. Barcham

Barcham Elitist Club Member

This guy has his own little cottage industry going. While I do think Gibson/Epi should shut him down, maybe they could also take a closer look and see that there's a market for more than what they are currently offering. The reliced Gibsons he sells look at least as good as the ones sold by Gibson and they're a hell of a lot cheaper.

7. paruwi

paruwi Kraut-Rocker Super Mod Premium Member

8. Ratmick

Ratmick Senior Member

I don't really get it, he wants you pay big money for something that looks like it's been dragged behind a truck across a paddock full of rocks or played by a very angry Edward Scissorhands...

...wouldn't it be easier if you wanted that look (and really with an Epi you really need to drag it across rocky ground to dent the poly) to buy a new unit and play the hell out/leave it out of the case and treat it like poop and throw it around/store it in the back of your SUV with a open toolbox full of tools while driving off-road?

It's like the 'camo' one in the other thread...kudos for making it through the poly to the wood, but wtf is with the burning, rust and acid?

Mick :cool:

2 people like this.
  9. Barcham

Not really. Gibson does the same thing with the aged versions of signature guitars they sell such as the Budokan,Page and other models. If you compare this particular guitar he's offering with the real Frampton guitar, you'll see that he has done a remarkable job of matching them. It may not be to my personal taste, but it's a good job.

2 people like this.
  10. gibbykohner

gibbykohner Senior Member

Price is steep. I think I'd buy if it wasn't so expensive, though. Looks pretty cool.

11. gibbykohner

gibbykohner Senior Member

^this.

12. Ratmick

Ratmick Senior Member

I hear what you are saying, personally it's not to my taste either :thumb:.

The issue I have with it, apart from buying a guitar that has been 'aged' for you, is that the poly on Epiphones is thick enough to make any attempt at 'wear' look like it's been hacked at with an axe. Really he would have been better off using a Gibson with the thinner nitro finish, the 'wear' in that case would have looked like it had been rubbed through by frequent contact with an arm or clothing, not frequent contact with something sharp and pointy. Even with the higher buy-in point of the underlying platform he would have still been able to show a profit given what Gibson charge for 'worn' examples of their own guitars.

Push comes to shove Gibson can just give me guitars, I'm prepared to play the sh!t of them and treat them mean so they get wear and buckle rash. Then I'll send it back and they can give me another one :naughty:.

Mick :cool:

13. Barcham

If you look at some of the other guitars he has for sale, you'll see that he has a number of Gibsons that he has given his treatment to. As well as Fenders and other brands. Of course, being Gibsons, it is reflected in the price also.